Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are Valdez Silvers Boom or Bust This Year

Default Are Valdez Silvers Boom or Bust This Year

What are the early reports on Valdez for silvers this year? Trying to figure out if it will be worth the trip or similar to last year.

Its Booming outside of the narrows right now. They should be in town within the week if they aren't showing up already.

Fished this weekend and it was a good sign of a better year then last. Would I say it looks like "Boom", not yet but there is hope (but then again as fishermen isn't a little hope mixed with lies all we need)

It's definately not like last year, plenty of silvers to catch, it's been good fishing for the past few weeks, they aren't all the way into the port in any signifigant numbers yet but a few have been caught at the ferry dock, some at goldmine, better fishing from Shoup on out.
    Amanda Rose
    2010 Kingfisher 3025
    Twin Yamaha 250's

I think it was better last week. But all of the schools do not come in together. Saturday was interesting. Morning went well then after noon it went dead. Women's derby winner was 14 something. Last year was 16. Lots of 8-10 pound fish being caught and we had one that was abut two pounds. More kings being caught this year than I have ever seen.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

We also caught a lot (4 I think) really small Kings as well. Finally switched tackle (stopped the brads cut plug) and it fixed that issue but I thought it was interesting to catch 4 kings in one weekend.

Also we caught mostly small fish on Thursday, Nice (more regular) size fish on Friday, and then Small fish again on Saturday. Seems like the waves are starting to come in and time will tell if the "Slug" of fish ever show up.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    I think it was better last week. But all of the schools do not come in together. Saturday was interesting. Morning went well then after noon it went dead. Women's derby winner was 14 something. Last year was 16. Lots of 8-10 pound fish being caught and we had one that was abut two pounds. More kings being caught this year than I have ever seen.
    Saturday was interesting, plenty of decent size fish in the morning and then it just dropped off, just the odd fish here and there all afternoon, best we did was a 13.06lb, plenty of 10-11 lb fish. The winner was 14.24lbs, 3 pounds less than last years winner of 17.54, lots of people were getting 6-8 pound fish at bouy 9, completely different mood on the docks this year with all the fish caught even if they were smaller, hopefully there are some larger fish on the way.
    Amanda Rose
    2010 Kingfisher 3025
    Twin Yamaha 250's

Any new reports?
    Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The larger fish are hanging around the two fish processors out by Knight. They are sucking up the waste from the processors. Should be huge when they come in. And knowing that now, my engine is blown.

Quote Originally Posted by fishin ak View Post
    Any new reports?ThanksSent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Was just there yesterday , we were out there for quite a while and caught 22 silvers and probably as many pinks. Had 4 lines in the water, two on down riggers between 40 and 50 feet and two on pink ladys. Seemed to be equally split action between the two. Most our success was on the outgoing tide near in the am, had a triple at one point. We were on the far side of jacks. The pinks kept hitting our down riggers and even got a black rockfish on one. We seemed to be catching more then anyone in the area.

Where can I fish in Valdez with my personal 18' boat? Where can I launch? I've seen the dock and seems pretty crowded and its use is for larger boats (I assume). I've only been to Valdez once, so I may need help too with locations. I've been across the bay and fished for pinks at one of the points, not sure of the name. Also, what kind of lures is recommended for silvers? Thanks!

Launch at the harbor like everyone else. Go out in the morning and fish the North shore from Gold Creek West. You will be fine. Just watch the afternoon winds form the West and you will be fine.

I posted in the fishing reports as well but the kayak group is now reporting limits in a few hours by mineral creek. A significant improvement over a week ago when they were reporting singles. Sample size is small (two kayaks) but both kayakers hit good fish close to town.

AlaskaKayakFisher.com
    Guidesak.blogspot.com
    My personal pages...I'm not a guide.

What are the numbers of fish looking like so far this year Dave?

Don't know. My boat is down for the year so haven't been watching or fishing. Should be a good year though.

My family and I were down over the weekend shore fishing. Nothing but pinks stinking it up. Hopefully they'll be in over the next few weeks, we could really use the fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fresh smoked sSilvers Yum!! Can't wait to go....hope it's great year like last year.
    Got to look good even in defeat. IMAGE is everything.

I was out tonight checking my shrimp pots and I saw silvers jumping everywhere. Should be a lot of them to catch.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Launch at the harbor like everyone else. Go out in the morning and fish the North shore from Gold Creek West. You will be fine. Just watch the afternoon winds form the West and you will be fine.
    How far out is that (North shore from Gold creek) from the Harbor. And is there only one harbor/dock in Valdez? (where all the large boats are anchored) Sorry, not sure if there is more than one dock/harbor. Thanks again!

From the Harbor Masters office, you need to pay to launch, it is all the way to the end heading East. Have everything ready to go when you launch. Nothing like 2 boats sitting there because someone forgot to buy a fishing license or forgot bait.

Gold Creek is not far, maybe 2-3 miles if that. You will be fine if you just watch the afternoon winds and head back if it starts to blow.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast