Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cost of making GROUND Game meat, in your location.......????

Default Cost of making GROUND Game meat, in your location.......????

What does it cost you to have your clean game meat commercially ground and packaged.........???

Do they guarantee that you get "YOUR" meat back.......???

AGL:

I am pretty certain that the amount of meat that I put into my grinder equates to the same amount of meat that comes out of it.

So, I would say that I'm guaranteed of receiving the same amount of meat from my grinder as I put into it and yes, I know that it's the "my" meat, in terms of what I've killed, salvaged and then cleaned for consumption.

Maverick

"commercially ground and packaged".........

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick940 View Post
    AGL:

I am pretty certain that the amount of meat that I put into my grinder equates to the same amount of meat that comes out of it.

So, I would say that I'm guaranteed of receiving the same amount of meat from my grinder as I put into it and yes, I know that it's the "my" meat, in terms of what I've killed, salvaged and then cleaned for consumption.

Maverick

Well, I stand corrected, then.

But, in terms of my clients who've used Mat Valley Meats in Wasilla to process whatever amount of game meat that they don't want to give to my plots (Meekin and Keller), I'd say that my clients get back 70% of the "in-bone" meat that I drop at that processor.

Of course, that's bone-less roasts and bone-less steaks and hamburger. It's not merely hamburger meat.

Maverick

$1.25/lb at Delta Meats for grind and wrap.

I bone out the meat beforehand and have always gotten it's exact weight plus added suet weight back.
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Several years ago, I dropped off my boned out moose to have the burger ground at an unnamed processor on the Peninsula. I had killed this bull with my bow during the archery season. When I got the meat back, rifle season had started. I found chunks of lead in the burger. To say I was pissed would be an under statement. I had more than one heated conversations with the owner and workers there. Their claim was that they process one customers meat right after another, and the lead must have been stuck in the screen of the grinder.
    My game meat is usually the cleanest they get. I am almost always successful at getting them back to my shop whole, and I hose the carcass off with a fire hose prior to skinning. Looks like a beef hanging after the skinning is done. The burger is the only meat I take in. Usually have some old fashioned hot dogs and pepper sticks made with it also. I cut my own steaks, roasts, stew meat, etc.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Just go to http://www.alaskabutcherequip.com/ and rent a grinder. $50 overnight. Super fast grinders. No reason to pay extra to have someone else grind your meat.

Well...............It cost me $90.00 for just fuel to round trip to Los'Anchorage. So that is $90.00 + $90.00 +$50.00 WAY cheaper to have Indian Valley Meat do it.

Quote Originally Posted by AKChester View Post
    Just go to http://www.alaskabutcherequip.com/ and rent a grinder. $50 overnight. Super fast grinders. No reason to pay extra to have someone else grind your meat.

My processor lets me pay with .22 LR shells and groundhog hides. I'll have to do some quick calculations to get the fiat currency equivalent, but last time it was six shells per pound or one groundhog hide for ten pounds.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

No problem........I assumed that you you had not yet consumed a 1/2 pot of coffee before reply.....

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick940 View Post
    Well, I stand corrected, then. Maverick

our local grocery store lets the employees grind after hours (6 pm). And price varies- for a small cooler full of meat (we wrap it ourselves)- it could cost $10/ could cost $20- depends on who's working I guess. I wonder if they sometimes skim... So, I bought a nice LEM for this year...

Buy a kitchen aid with a grinder or a cabelas one horse.

If you grind a lot, it pays for itself.
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

I couldn't tell you, but I will say if you get one or more big game a year and like to make your own summer sausage, pepper sticks, breakfast sausage, dinner sausage and burger get a good grinder and DIY. You will break even after you proses you first critter. I really hope I get my first moose next week so I can do all of these things. If you do want to DIY and want some pointers, I'd be happy to share my experience (does & don't) with you.

Well, I HOPE that I do NOT get a moose next week. But it will be hard NOT to get one. I have owned meat grinders. I don't own one now, and don't want one. It would be a tough job, with no running water, and alone, and grinding and packing in the rain outdoors. At 69 I am willing to pay. Plus I have to find locals to give 3/4 of the moose meat to.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Plus I have to find locals to give 3/4 of the moose meat to.
    I will gladly process your moose...in exchange for the 3/4's meat. All wrapping and gas included
    I think about hunting when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day. And I think about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm doing it. ~credit to Carl Yastrzemski~

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    Well, I HOPE that I do NOT get a moose next week. But it will be hard NOT to get one. I have owned meat grinders. I don't own one now, and don't want one. It would be a tough job, with no running water, and alone, and grinding and packing in the rain outdoors. At 69 I am willing to pay. Plus I have to find locals to give 3/4 of the moose meat to.
    You know on the internet, you don't look at day over 68.... grinding 70 pounds isn't so bad.....
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

We charge $.80 lb to grind into 1lb pollybags. In Palmer . We come in a little under the going rate in our area .
    Owner of Bear Mountain Meats Game Processing .
    907-745-4756

Thank You..........very helpful information.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbear400 View Post
    We charge $.80 lb to grind into 1lb pollybags. In Palmer . We come in a little under the going rate in our area .

Well it cost me $35 once 10 years ago for the hand crank mixer. I got tired of cranking by hand and decided to get rid of that so I upgraded to a $50 dewalt corded 1/2" drill and now have myself a great mixer. So I guess $85... once. So far $8.50 per year...?

I am sure that your post is clear to you........that said, do I understand that you drill holes in your meat and call it good'enough.......??? And exactly how does this collateral to "COMMERCIAL GRINDING FEES"..........???????

Quote Originally Posted by sambuck12 View Post
    Well it cost me $35 once 10 years ago for the hand crank mixer. I got tired of cranking by hand and decided to get rid of that so I upgraded to a $50 dewalt corded 1/2" drill and now have myself a great mixer. So I guess $85... once. So far $8.50 per year...?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast