Thread: Recovery time for a total knee joint replacement?

Smile Recovery time for a total knee joint replacement?

I am having a total knee joint replaced and was curious how this procedure has affected your ability to hunt. I'm in pretty good shape. I work out at the gym 4 to 5 times a week. Can you still carry a pack? Has it affected your ability to climb? What can you not do that you were able to do before the surgery? I'm 62 and not ready to give up hunting. Can you share some of your experiences?

I had both knees replaced in Dec 2010. I was sheep hunting in the Brooks by Sep 2010. Every operation can be different. I have sheep hunted every year since; will be in the Alaska Range in 2 weeks. Strength is good, range of motion is diminished so you cannot do the things you used to do when you were on vertical, near technical, rock formations. Coming down is much easier than it was with bone-on-bone pain. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by 450grandpa View Post
    I am having a total knee joint replaced and was curious how this procedure has affected your ability to hunt. I'm in pretty good shape. I work out at the gym 4 to 5 times a week. Can you still carry a pack? Has it affected your ability to climb? What can you not do that you were able to do before the surgery? I'm 62 and not ready to give up hunting. Can you share some of your experiences?
    I won't lie to you, knee replacement is not a pain free process. After it's over and done, you'll mentally kick yourself for waiting so long to have it done.

I had my replacement operation in early November, at the age of 67. The following Sept my Son and I were back in Moose camp. My Son dropped a fairly large Bull, about 1500 lbs, and we both packed it a good 1/4 mile to the camp on the River bank. In all honesty, I packed the lighter pieces, where as he packed the heavier hind qtrs. But, it would have worked that way whether I had new knees or not.. Living in a 3 level house probably worked to my advantage as going up and down stairs is good PT for the knees. The replacement did not effect my life style, in fact it made it a lot more pleasant. I Ride my Snow Machine in the winter to go play, hunt hare, and ptarmigan, and go ice fishing. I run my River boat in the Summer, altho in all honesty I'm more of a passenger in my own boat with Son's or Grand Son's who like to drive (and think they're in charge). I've never been interested in hunting sheep or goats, so I really can't say how knee replacement would effect me in that way. Today, I'm 76 yrs old and beginning to slow down a little bit. BUT, it's not the knees that's slowing me down. I'ts the lower back and the lungs that aren't keeping up.

Pick a great surgeon who does lots of knee replacements every year not one that is just the cool guy who operates on the local college athletes, a lot different operating on a 20 year old shoulder and a 70 year old knee, you want a dr that does lots of total joints, ask how many they do a year.

recovery, it usually takes 5-6 weeks to get over the hump, until that time you will question yourself if you made the right choice to have it done. At that point you will not be well but will be on your way. Stick with the PT and fight to get your max range of motion back ( both bending and straightening ) and after a few months you should be able to do a lot more than you have over the prior years before surgery.

Speedy recovery in any case.
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science"

Edwin Hubble

Quote Originally Posted by GrassLakeRon View Post
    Speedy recovery in any case.
    Thanks for the replies. I'm going to get into the best shape I can between now and then to help with the recovery.

I had a partial done and all I noticed was about a 10% loss of range of motion. When I saw my doctor before the operation I asked him If I would be able to dance after the operation and he said absolutely and I said that great because I can't dance now.