Thread: Home Prepared Sushi?

Eagle River, AK

Default Home Prepared Sushi?

My wife and I have gotten on the sushi train in the past 6 months and are loving it, but's an expensive habit! We've been thinking of trying some of our own fish for sushi. Apart from the cost, we Alaskan are privilaged to catch some of the best fish available anywhere, so we figure it would make great sushi.

The problem is that we're clueless. While we usually eat somewhat complex rolls, we also enjoy nigiri (fish wrapped around sticky rice), which we figure should be pretty easy to prepare. I talked to Homerdave a bit about what he does, but I'd love some other input and ideas. (Dave, I'd also appreciate some specifics about what you do - I didn't write down anything you told me last month.)

I read elsewhere on the forum that sushi is typically flash frozen in commercial freezers to kill parasites, but that residential grade freezers aren't cold enough. For those of you who have made your own sushi, do you freeze it first, or...?

Recipes, do/don't lists, tricks of the trade,'s all appreciated!

Default Flash freezing

Get a CO2 fire extingusher lay the fish in a box on paper give it a blast it will be frozen in seconds. They make dry ice with it.

Anchorage, AK

When I was stationed in Guam we would catch tuna and make sashimi on the boat. Just slice it in about 1/8" slices and eat with soy sauce and wasabi. We never worried about parasites but I guess that doesn't mean there isn't any. I know that all of the sushi at the restaurants in Guam was fresh caught and purchased at the fishermans co-op so I would assume the risk is quite low. I'm told that when frozen it changes the flavor and can make the fish a bit mushy.

I love a Sapporo and some fresh tuna sashimi/sushi after a hard days fishing!

I just had another thought, these fish were open ocean fish and it is possible that the parasites they are exposed to do not affect humans.

I have one of the bamboo sushi rollers, I don't recall where I got it, but I'm sure Sagaya has them. I haven't had any problems using salmon that has been frozen for a month or so, though no gurantee that kills all the parasites. I tak a fillet and cut it into roughly 1/2" sq strips. Cook up some japanese rice, and I add some rice vinegar when cooking. Put some rice vineger, water and sugar in a small bowl. Put the nori (seawead) shiny side down on the sushi roller, wet your fingers with the vinegar water and moisten the nori. Put a thin layer of rice on the nori, leaving a 1/2" with no rice. Put the salmon strip in the middle of the rice and roll it up. The strip with no rice will seal the roll closed. It's easy to put too much rice on and the roll get's too fat to close. I like to put the rolls in the fridge for a little bit to firm up, then cut. Keep the knife clean and slightly moist so it doesn't stick to the rice. You can also add in some strips of cucumber or avocado.

Serve with soy sauce and wasabi, maybe some sake.

Sarasota, Florida

Default Always ready...

Anytime I go anywhere remotely related to fish I carry a blade, sharpener, soy, wasabi, pickled ginger, rice, rice vinegar, and sugar.

I just got off Prudence Island (Narangansett Bay off Rhode Island) the day before yesterday. While there I was admiring a huge haul of freshly caught striped bass and I mentioned who I was and what I did and the skipper tossed me a free twelve pounder.

The belly meat went for sushi. The rest went into chowder, baked striper a la russe for supper, and leftover fish sandwiches the day after.

To answer your question, I cut halibut and salmon and eat it raw. I trust it completely and I have been doing this long before sushi was popular among newcomers. (try 20 years) I used to do the bamboo roller and seaweed wrap, but now I'm completely satisfied with a little rice or simply sliced.

The Asian knew this centuries ago. Try picking up a sushi cookbook and you'll be immensely pleased.

Before you kinow it, your sushi pack will become a part of your lifestyle...

homer, alaska

Talking wow! you must be famous <GRIN>

nobody ever gives me a fish when i tell them who i am and what i do!!!
    since this is an alaskan forum i doubt we care much about stripers, and i doubt they are a traditional sushi fish either... i do know that the farmed variety is often on the menu as "suzuki", but it is not actually close to the japanese seabass it is labeled as.
    i learned from japanese clients that the best halibut (hirame at the sushi bar) for sashimi are the 25 pounders for the rod-like meat along the fins that is usually discarded, and also the cheeks....the little 10 pounders are good for sashimi made from the top brownside fillet, but the pieces need to be sliced thin and checked for worms.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"