Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34

Thread: Alternative to Nosler partitiion for my 338 win Mag

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Sterling, AK
    Posts
    177

    Default Alternative to Nosler partitiion for my 338 win Mag

    Looking for some advice.
    Last winter I bought a Tikka T3 in 338 Win Mag.

    I don't handload, but I have a buddy who will for me.
    I want to use Nosler Patition bullets in 225gr
    NOBODY HAS THEM IN STOCK. I've had them on backorder with Cabelas since last winter.
    Others like Midway USA are out of stock too.

    Any good suggestions on an alternative bullet I should look at. I am looking for a load for Moose, Caribou or the expected Brown bear.

    Anyone have particular experience with the Tikka t3 and which bullet it likes in 338 win mag for a tight group??

    Thanks in advance for any suggestions

  2. #2
    Member hoose35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Soldotna, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    2,891

    Default

    I loaded some 250gr Speer grand slams for my b.338 and they shot well.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Mat-Su
    Posts
    1,179

    Default

    I shoot the Barnes 225 bullets in my 338 WM and Barnes 210 in the wife's Savage. The Barnes can be a real pain to find a good load for but well worth the trouble.

  4. #4
    Supporting Member iofthetaiga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Tanana Valley AK
    Posts
    7,217

    Default

    The 210 Barnes have treated me well in the 338-06.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    257

    Default

    You need look no further than the 225 grain Barnes TTSX. I've used Barnes X and TTSX 225 grain 338 bullets for blacktails, goat, caribou, moose, black bear, grizz and brown bears.

    The load that has shot submoa for me in three 338 Win Mags is 67.5 grains of IMR4350 (max load from Barnes manual) with the bullet seated 50 thousandths from the lands of each rifle. Chronographed velocity of 2760 in a 24 inch barrel and 2820-2840 fps in two 26 inch barrels. Barnes Vor-tx factory loads with this same bullet shot really good too.

    Sheep are my nemesis...

  6. #6

    Default

    You can't hardly go wrong with a 225 grain Barnes X bullet, Winchester brass, Federal 215 magnum primers and 73 grains of Reloader 19 or some H4350sc.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,377

    Default

    The 250 grains were at cabelas last week.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    I loaded some 250gr Speer grand slams for my b.338 and they shot well.
    Pretty amazing performance in the 338 for such a "cheap" bullet. I've seen lots of game whacked with it in 338 and whacked my share of game in other calibers. No issues whatsoever, and won't break the bank. Also lots easier to find that the Barnes or Nosler most of the time. A real sleeper out there waiting for folks having trouble getting the others.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Juneau
    Posts
    2,127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    I loaded some 250gr Speer grand slams for my b.338 and they shot well.
    +1
    I shoot the same and they do a great job from moose all the way down to deer.

  10. #10
    Member shimano 33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    529

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    Federal 215 magnum primers
    Where can you find these?
    I think about hunting when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day. And I think about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm doing it. ~credit to Carl Yastrzemski~

  11. #11
    Member mainer_in_ak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Delta Junction
    Posts
    4,078

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John S View Post
    Looking for some advice.
    Last winter I bought a Tikka T3 in 338 Win Mag.

    I don't handload, but I have a buddy who will for me.
    I want to use Nosler Patition bullets in 225gr
    NOBODY HAS THEM IN STOCK. I've had them on backorder with Cabelas since last winter.
    Others like Midway USA are out of stock too.

    Any good suggestions on an alternative bullet I should look at. I am looking for a load for Moose, Caribou or the expected Brown bear.

    Anyone have particular experience with the Tikka t3 and which bullet it likes in 338 win mag for a tight group??

    Thanks in advance for any suggestions
    The man responsible for creating and popularizing the 33 caliber magnum, liked taking all sorts of massive bear, moose, and caribou with the 300 grainers. With all the case capacity and power of the 33 caliber magnums, take advantage of it and buy some 275 grain Swift A-frames directly from swift:

    http://www.swiftbullets.com/products-s/1819.htm#

    My experience with a-frames, is that they are PURE COPPER, PURE LEAD. Therefore, they expand to a larger frontal diameter than other bullets I have used, especially at the lower velocities. I just received a 275 grain swift recovered from a large coastal brown bear harvested last year.. The guy I was handloading the ammo for was reluctant that it would expand in his little rifle. This bear hunter's attitude has changed. It was fired from 338 federal. The shot was at 275 yards, and broke both front shoulders. I would imagine that the velocity at that range was all of 1700 fps. Guess what the frontal area of the bullet measured?? .623" expansion. Unflippin believable.

  12. #12
    Member Eastwoods's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Southern Tier, New York
    Posts
    430

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    The man responsible for creating and popularizing the 33 caliber magnum, liked taking all sorts of massive bear, moose, and caribou with the 300 grainers. With all the case capacity and power of the 33 caliber magnums, take advantage of it and buy some 275 grain Swift A-frames directly from swift:

    http://www.swiftbullets.com/products-s/1819.htm#

    My experience with a-frames, is that they are PURE COPPER, PURE LEAD. Therefore, they expand to a larger frontal diameter than other bullets I have used, especially at the lower velocities. I just received a 275 grain swift recovered from a large coastal brown bear harvested last year.. The guy I was handloading the ammo for was reluctant that it would expand in his little rifle. This bear hunter's attitude has changed. It was fired from 338 federal. The shot was at 275 yards, and broke both front shoulders. I would imagine that the velocity at that range was all of 1700 fps. Guess what the frontal area of the bullet measured?? .623" expansion. Unflippin believable.

    Very interesting. Did he let you know his load, and what muzzle velocity he attained?

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Palmer,AK
    Posts
    130

    Default

    I shoot the speer grand slams, sierra BT, in the 250 grains with great results out of my 338 RUM.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    1,904

    Default

    Another vote for Barnes. I shoot 165's in my .30 calibers. My .375 shoots a 300 grain X bullet, and I load the 400 grain X in my .458. Used my brothers .416 Remington an a huge bull a couple years ago with a 400 grain X bullet. They hold together even at close range and damage little meat. Now several years back I hosed a small bull moose with a .300 mag with Nozler 180 grain bullets. They weren't partitions. Bull was close. I had to shoot him several times, and some of the bullets fragmented so bad, they didn't even penetrate the shoulder. Thsse bullets were designed for deer sized animal at long rage I suppose. Lots of wasted meat. Never again.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

  15. #15
    Member dkwarthog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Mat-Su
    Posts
    2,150

    Default

    The 210 Barnes is a barn burner out of my Ruger Hawkeye. About 71 grains of AA4350 shoot sub 1" at 100 yds and even though its only a sample size of one, the moose I shot last year was DRT, didn't move more than a couple feet. Blendered the chest cavity impressively enough to sell me.

  16. #16
    Member hodgeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Delta Junction AK
    Posts
    4,055

    Default

    I've had good success with the Accubond...but they're potentially as hard to find as Partitions.

    In the .338WM, it's hard to imagine a couple of boxes of Corelokts wouldn't work fine until you can find Partitions.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

  17. #17
    Member winibezold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    anchorage
    Posts
    285

    Default

    I used to shoot a standard tikka t3 lite 338 and used the 225 barnes x and imr4350. I sold it and bought the T3 boar hunter from cabelas and now use hornady 250 PSP, the 250 has the punch you want, and it shoots very well out of my 20" barrel with 7828ssc. They are pretty easy to find too.

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by winibezold View Post
    ...hornady 250 PSP....
    One of the most under-rated and maligned bullets around. I've used the 270 spires in my 375 for almost 40 years and never had a single, solitary issue on game of any size. DRT.

  19. #19
    Member winibezold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    anchorage
    Posts
    285

    Default

    thanks for the support brownbear, I let the sheer bullet weight and frontal area do the talking

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Arizona Baby!
    Posts
    485

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eastwoods View Post
    Very interesting. Did he let you know his load, and what muzzle velocity he attained?
    Mainer loaded the ammo.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •