Thread: New Deer Bullet for the 375 Ruger

Default New Deer Bullet for the 375 Ruger

These weigh 271 grains checked and lubed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 375 HP.jpg  

Oh yeah. But in truth I'd pull the hollow point plug and just use it as a flat nose. I'm basing that on over 3 decades of dinking deer with FP bullets in the 375 H&H. A 270 at 1800 or so is flat shooting and devastating on the receiving end. If you're shooting mostly inside 100 yards you can drop it down to 1400-1500 and have similar great performance.

I have had good luck with hollow points, but with this mold, I may try the cup points instead of the HPs. I will of course shoot the FN version, the deer here aren't overly large.

270gr HP first target 9 Aug 2015.jpg

First 4 shots with this bullet, target was on 55 yards, but it shows promise, hope the cup point and flat nose work just as well.

Nice! I've got some speer 235 grain jacketed soft points for my 375 Ruger. I plan to try them out on hogs and deer when I have to move back down to the lower 48. Those hollow point lead bullets looks like they would do a number on a deer!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDuck View Post
    I've got some speer 235 grain jacketed soft points for my 375 Ruger.
    Dunno how tough they'd be for shooting up close, but they're dandies for deer in both my 375 H&H's. Used them for 40 years, and they're none too tender at those velocities. Nice clean wound channels and no signs of breakup, though I've never recovered one from game. Come to think of it I popped an elk with one at about 100 yards 30 years back, and its wound channel was picture perfect.

For whitetail, these might be barely big enough, these are a 350gr FNGC I cast using an Accurate Molds build from my design.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 10393667_10205186375849404_6657927831012775586_n.jpg  

Finally got around to casting up a few of the FN versions, I will be stuffing them into cases with IMR4198 a little later.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0113f468c471995549ffa8ca9b06403ab7cd473990.jpg  

Atsa good looking bullet, comparing well with the ancient Ideal mold I've been using for the last 40 years. You'll be pleased with performance on deer, as well as lots bigger critters.

I finally got around to casting up a few of the cup points, they weigh 275 grains with lube and check.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cup Point.jpg  

What alloy are you using on those?

Aircraft ballast plates mixed with pure lead, about 18:2 ratio. If I water drop them they are super hard, the hollowpoints expand well as long as I don't push them too hard. I must say it is difficult to recover them, they don't seem to want to stop. The hollowpoints should be just the ticket for jack rabbits and coyotes, and if I could draw an antelope tag. I imagine the cup points would work for deer, although I think I am with you on using the FN, I think they would do the job on a cow elk, maybe cast them and air cool to get some expansion.

I've shot the classic Lyman #2 Alloy for going on 40 years, and expansion is just right at the vels I'm shooting. Interesting to see how your alloy specs out on game!

The 280gr FN version shot very well, the Cup Points need some load work. Really love this bullet design.