Thread: Raft Info

Default Raft Info

I'm relatively new to rafting and was looking for one to hold the wife, dog and me for floats on the Kenai and Gulkana. Any thoughts on size, model and make? Thanks

A the top of the rafting section here on AOD the owner of the site has provided lots of info. Do some reading there to familiarize yourself with the basics. Or link from here. http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...oors-Directory

You'll probably want a 14-15' round boat or 16' cat for your intended purposes. There are advantage to both types of designs (I have one of each for different purposes). Then you need to decide on brand and whether you need a Mercedes (arguably SOTAR), BMW (AIRE), Ford (NRS), or Hyundai (Alaska Series). There are also many other brands that fit this list but these are the major brands sold in AK. Owners of each brand will tell you why there chosen type is the best. For the most part it does not matter as long as it reliably holds air and will outlast your investment. A cataraft really requires having a trailer to transport it. The frames are more complicated to assemble then one for a round raft.

Another major choice is whether to buy new or used. There are many good deals on Craigslist and some to steer clear of. If you buy used odds are you could turn around and sell the boat for the same amount you paid for it if you decide you want a different raft or if rafting is just not your thing. New gives you the full warranty and a brand new boat. Just remember the cost of the rubber does not include all of the required accessories wich will add another 50% or so to the boat purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdstrike View Post
    A the top of the rafting section here on AOD the owner of the site has provided lots of info. Do some reading there to familiarize yourself with the basics. Or link from here. http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...oors-Directory...
    NOTE: when we moved the site to Alaska Outdoors Supersite, the links to these pages broke. I just fixed them this afternoon, and added some of the newer pages we have added since the original post. We now have what I think is a pretty good packraft page...

Thanks!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    NOTE: when we moved the site to Alaska Outdoors Supersite, the links to these pages broke. I just fixed them this afternoon, and added some of the newer pages we have added since the original post. We now have what I think is a pretty good packraft page...

Thanks!

-Mike
    Thanks for the helpful info

I think you'll be happy with a 14 foot self bailer and find a 15' is a step up in terms of comfort and space for ease of loading that size group. Easiest to learn with in my opinion. Dog friendly.

And get a trailer so you don't have to break it down every time. In a year or two you'll learn to fine tune your boat selection

Birdstrike's advice to buy used is good. Anything you have doubts about, the folks here would be happy to offer advice on whether to buy or not. Of course some might buy a boat right out from underneath ya! ;-)

Prices on the brands that are listed above will be stable, so you could buy a boat off of Craigslist and perhaps decide a year later it doesn't work for you. Odds are you can resell it for about the same price you bought it, assuming you were judicious at the time of original purchase. Also don't be shy about renting and trying something out for a weekend. Who knows, you might find that a 12' is enough boat for your needs.