Thread: pinks and silvers

Default pinks and silvers

I hope to come to Alaska in 2016 for pinks and silvers. I have literature that indicates Hope is excellent for pinks. My question is when would be a good time for both pinks and silvers and where is good for silvers near Hope? Thanks Ed

Pinks are fun to catch on a light spinning or fly rod. Plan to fish hope for them from the 3rd week in July into early August. They are poor tablefare once in freshwater. They are tasty when caught in the saltwater. For silvers I'd book a charter out of Whittier or Seward so you have some take home salmon. For freshwater silvers I'd look at Bird Creek between Girdwood and Anchorage or Ship Creek in Anchorage.

You could also go north of Anchorage and fish Willow Creek at the confluence with the Susitna. There are many more choices but these are popular.

Valdez in late July for all the pinks you could ever hope to catch. A few weeks later and the silvers show up. Take a charter out and you can catch them a lot sooner, as well as halibut, lingcod, and rockfish. If I only had one option it'd be Valdez. Very friendly little town, too. Seward offers most of the same, but it's also a lot more crowded...thatd be my second choice.

Quote Originally Posted by coho slayer View Post
    Valdez in late July for all the pinks you could ever hope to catch. A few weeks later and the silvers show up. Take a charter out and you can catch them a lot sooner, as well as halibut, lingcod, and rockfish. If I only had one option it'd be Valdez. Very friendly little town, too. Seward offers most of the same, but it's also a lot more crowded...thatd be my second choice.

Pretty much exactly this ^^

i would add if you go mid August you can catch both, especially on a charter, the pinks won't be as fresh but the silvers will be great.