Thread: Which utv light bar?

Default Which utv light bar?

I've got an '08 6x6 Ranger and want to mount a 20-22" light bar above the windshield. Any recommendations for brands to look at or avoid? Amazon is full of $20-30 light bars, but I don't know anything about them.

Most any of the cheap bars will work fine for your 6x6 and a huge step above the stock headlights. I've got a pair of the rigid dually x2's on the front of mine for 2 reasons. First I got a smoking deal on them. Second I've got a full steel cab so the small lights fit outside the vents on the corners of the cab. I couldn't mount a large bar about the roof cuz then it wouldn't fit inside my enclosed trailer.

Order whichever bar has the best reviews. I got one on my wifes jeep and it's held up to rain and vibration and this last winter with no leaks. The biggest complaint that I've heard is some leak, but you can solve that with a tube of silicone around the edges.

Got what I think was a great deal from OPT7 on Amazon. Very high quality (indistinguishable from Rigid as far as I can tell), very fair price.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I just read your question completely. Didn't notice your (above the windshield) part at first.

I mounted some cheap Napa tractor lights on the crossbar above the windshield on my Rhino a few years ago. The glare off the windshield and hood was horrible. To this day, there are two pieces of black coffee can lid electrical taped to the bottom of those lights (like lower eyelashes). That was the best solution I had at the time on the trail at night in the winter when I couldn't see a **** thing beyond the glare.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Do I need to install a second battery to run a light bar?

Not sure your stator output.

Since many stators (my Rhino is no exception) put out very little power for accessories, it's easy to think that a second battery by itself will help. It will in the short term, particularly if you put it on a charger at the end of the day. If you plan on being out for long trips, it may not matter. The stator can't keep up with a bigger/ second battery in parallel.

What I did was install a second large battery under the seat, as well as an automatic battery isolator, and a solar charger/conditioner since the Rhino spends most of its life outside.

The isolator (I used a 1314 isolator) gives charging priority to the starting battery. When that is full, it switches to charging the accessory battery. That way, the stator is only charging one battery at a time.

Where this comes in most handy is repetitive winching. While my brother's OEM Rhino gets about 3-4 winches in a short time before the battery starts dying, I can (and have unfortunately) winch all day.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

You shouldn't need a second battery. I too added a second one on an isolator for winching reasons as well and just pure safety sake. Often I don't even run my headlights. Just the leds. You can't even tell that the headlights are on! The stock headlights draw more juice than a 20" bar will so if you leave your headlights off you are consuming less draw than the stock set up. AND you'll be able to see lol.

Quote Originally Posted by theultrarider View Post
    You shouldn't need a second battery. I too added a second one on an isolator for winching reasons as well and just pure safety sake. Often I don't even run my headlights. Just the leds. You can't even tell that the headlights are on! The stock headlights draw more juice than a 20" bar will so if you leave your headlights off you are consuming less draw than the stock set up. AND you'll be able to see lol.
    LED lights use less power than the standard halogen headlights on most UTV's. I would think that a set of two 18-Watt 4" LED lights on the bar would be sufficient, and would not use too much power. I will probably use 35-Watt Xenon lightbulbs for my Rhino's headlights. The ones on the Rhino are 30-watt halogen, so I figure that the Xenon ones will use just a little more power (10 Watts) and still provide a brighter light. But I am going to install a 4" 18-watt LED light on the bar behind the cab, just to turn on when I want to back-up in the dark during moose season.

There is a Rhino for sale a Craig's, and the photo shows a light bar with several lights on it, and the seller tells that two new batteries come with the machine. I can only imagine why

Quote Originally Posted by RayfromAK View Post
    I can only imagine why
    His problem may not be the light bar but how he used the Rhino. For instance he may have to use the winch to pull him self or other people out several time on a trip or when he running have all the lights on. Too make matters worst when he get home he does not use a three stage charge to recharge the battery, but let's it sit until the next trip. The fuel tank needs to to be filled why is it so hard to refill the battery?

It could be he does not have a problem, he just added another battery because someone told him he needed to or wanted another battery in case he had battery problems.

Adding a second battery seems fairly expensive. I was looking at a 20-24" light bar and I think, like most said, it shouldn't be much of a drain if I'm not running the headlights. First thing I realized is that the headlights are fairly worthless.

Found a good vid on you tube where a guy showed installing a second battery, but between the cost of the batt, seperator, relay, and cables, it looks like an expensive get-up.

I've bought several different brand led bars from Amazon lately. The Eyourlife brand is by far the best one I've ordered. The housing is really heavy duty and looks great. I think any of them are ok, although I bought a Tuff Stuff brand one and it came with 3 led's burnt out. They are replacing it now. Just read the reviews on whatever one you choose.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Rob, out of the several different brands from Amazon, have you tried the Kawell brand? If so what's your review. Just picked up a set and going to give them a run during moose season. They seem built heavy duty, hope they perform.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you think you're free, there's no escape possible.

Yep. I actually have two set of the cubes from them. One set is on my wifes jeep in her bumper and another set I'm gonna put on my ATV. Both are very bright and built well.
    MMSI# 338232859

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Yep. I actually have two set of the cubes from them. One set is on my wifes jeep in her bumper and another set I'm gonna put on my ATV. Both are very bright and built well.
    Thanks for the review. Mounted a set for work lights on Ranger and putting another set for the boat deck, but haven't used them yet. And planned on ordering a couple more sets for the truck both beam and flood.

If you think you're free, there's no escape possible.

Awesome. You will love them. I'm pretty excited about using mine this moose season again too. Nothing like lighting up the entire trail on the way back to the truck.

MMSI# 338232859

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    His problem may not be the light bar but how he used the Rhino. For instance he may have to use the winch to pull him self or other people out several time on a trip or when he running have all the lights on. Too make matters worst when he get home he does not use a three stage charge to recharge the battery, but let's it sit until the next trip. The fuel tank needs to to be filled why is it so hard to refill the battery?

It could be he does not have a problem, he just added another battery because someone told him he needed to or wanted another battery in case he had battery problems.
    I don't disagree with you. It's possible that he overuses the battery as you have mentioned, or maybe that he has left the lights on too long without the motor running. All I know is that too many lights can in fact draw too much current.

I've got 2 bars, total of about 160 watts of draw. One bar is 4x10 watt leds, the other is 3 watt leds.. one is long range, the other flood. I unplugged my stock headlights as they are pointless. I use the Northern Light LED from that guy in anchorage. Been in use for two winters, they are going strong. I also have a pair of dually d2's, they in my opinion are not worth the extra cost.. I've winced plenty with my lights on in my rhino. Never had to charge my battery. I heard a rumor somewhere that as long as rhinos stay under 240 watts they will be fine... I dunno if that's true. Almost forgot, I also have a el-chepo 12 watt led single flood for backing up.. works great.