Thread: anisakis parasite in sockeye

Default anisakis parasite in sockeye

So this year's harvest of kenai sockeye are particularly wormy. I got curious and researched and came up with anisakis worm. Anybody know anything about this? Personal experience? I am not picky and really don't care but it seems they can cause some serious damage to humans. I just got a batch of smoked salmon back from mikes meats in ER and have found some in it. Is it safe?

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    Is it safe?
    Safe if cooked, or if well frozen for adequate period of time. http://www.cdc.gov/parasites/anisakiasis/faqs.html
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

The wads of worms in the abdominal cavity that you can spin with a fork like angel hair pasta are not the anasakid variety. The ones you need to watch for are the shorter ones coiled up in the meat. They are readily apparent if you thin-slice your reds for sashimi.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Quote Originally Posted by fishNphysician View Post
    The wads of worms in the abdominal cavity that you can spin with a fork like angel hair pasta are not the anasakid variety. The ones you need to watch for are the shorter ones coiled up in the meat. They are readily apparent if you thin-slice your reds for sashimi.
    There are many in the meat like that. Small coiled up. White/ transparent in color. Some more than others such as the smaller " hidden lake" reds we harvested. I've never seen many at all till this year.

Release Lake Trout

there were a lot last year, especially in the kasilof fish. They seem especially more prevalent in the hens. Gut them as fast as you can and they won't migrate to the meat as much.

I've noticed them every year in sockeye on the Kenai. Some schools are infested, while the next day's school will have few. It's just a random occurrence that seems to be highly variable in different fisheries. The silvers last year in Seward were full of them. This year they are not as heavily infested. As mentioned, Kasilof sockeye were pretty well infested this year. Just properly freeze and cook your meat and enjoy.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

Supposedly, freezing in a household freezer is not enough to kill worms. You are supposed to get the meat to subzero temps.

I've found worms alive and kicking after brining and cold-smoking fish. I canned that batch... I'd ask your meat guy how hot his smoker is. Probably he's required to hit a certain temp by the DEC if he's legit.

I think for smoking you need to get the meat to 145 deg. For freezing, it's something like -7 for 7 days, or -15 for 1 day... Better check that. I've found varying answers online...

Or sack up and raw-dog it like Doc

I've always found silvers to be less wormy. Likely due to the fact that they are younger fish. Most worms in fish originate from sea mammals. Mammals excrete the larvae, and the fish swim through them. Older fish, more chances of worms.

I've also found that gutting them immediately is the best defense.

Those worms are bad news. You wanna cook to 160 at least.
    Dont want to be looking in the mirror one day and see one of them in your eye.

Quote Originally Posted by smithtb View Post

I think for smoking you need to get the meat to 145 deg. For freezing, it's something like -7 for 7 days, or -15 for 1 day... Better check that. I've found varying answers online...

Minutes outta the river... meat still contracting in my hands...

"Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Some people will eat anything....

Hey! I said "some people", not "you people"!

Quote Originally Posted by smithtb View Post
    Supposedly, freezing in a household freezer is not enough to kill worms. You are supposed to get the meat to subzero temps.

I've found worms alive and kicking after brining and cold-smoking fish. I canned that batch... I'd ask your meat guy how hot his smoker is. Probably he's required to hit a certain temp by the DEC if he's legit.

I've always found silvers to be less wormy. Likely due to the fact that they are younger fish. Most worms in fish originate from sea mammals. Mammals excrete the larvae, and the fish swim through them. Older fish, more chances of worms.

I've also found that gutting them immediately is the best defense.
    Mikes meats in eagle river. They said shouod be good to go. I brought home a bunch of silvers from the su valley this weekend. Not one worm in 11 fish that I could find and I fileted all of them butterfly style. Think I'll skip reds next year.

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    Think I'll skip reds next year.
    Anisakis infects dozens, if not hundreds of fish species, cephalopods and aquatic mammals. Silvers are not immune.... Just be sure to either freeze or cook your fish appropriately.

(And I'm happy to accept donations of any unwanted fresh Reds.).
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

I would never eat raw fish after taking a wildlife diseases class in college To be save, make sure you cook it well, there are all kinds of parasites in fish. Jim

so what do these things do if you get one? and how do you tell?

I found one this year mid flesh on a copper red that was by no means white/clear in color. it was dark and what I would call a larva ready to or close to pupation.

Quote Originally Posted by TradBow View Post
    so what do these things do if you get one? and how do you tell?
    Check the link in post #2.
    #Resist

Thanks Taiga, missed it the first read!