Thread: kodiak goat hunt

Default kodiak goat hunt

me and my brother are planning a 2016 goat hunt, still undecided what time of year be best, any sugestions be great. Thinking mid september or is later better? thanks.

Default October Goat

If you can wait until mid to late October, the hair will be much nicer.

Of course, the weather won't be!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Depends, earlier is better weather more bugs as well, but more daylight. Hair by Mid Sept is good and makes a great rug or mount. Nov/Dec hunt is brutal on weather, lacking in daylight as well, but hair is ZZ Top long. Or you can wait until March, and hunt them from the beach on the south end.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Go as late as possible.

Nov - Jan aren't that dark in Kodiak, but still shorter days (~6-7 hrs). If you plan to hunt Oct-Nov . . . plan your trip for 10 days if you want to hunt 3. Ya might get lucky and have good weather for a week, and then be sitting at the Navigator for a few days trying to fly out . . . that's Kodiak . . . lol.

Thanks everybody for the info, we are planning on 10 days and i expect it will be late september but not totaly set on date yet

My coworker and I put in for a party hunt and got drawn for dg474, uganik area. We are flying in with Andrew air in mid October. This will be my first time to Kodiak. I will let you know when we get back how the weather was and hopefully have two nice goats and some deer.
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." John Muir

Thanks. We are very like gonna go to spirit of ak lodge and spike out from there

I tried to pm you but your inbox is full
    -At what point does "against all enemies foreign and domestic" apply to politicians?

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick940 View Post
    Go as late as possible.
    No thanks, been there done that.

Go with what meets your priorities. Want a shaggier goat? Go late. Want a better alpine hunt without sideways snow, rain, sleet-covered grass hillsides where you'll slide a mile? etc? Go earlier.
    I've done several of both and I go earlier now. To each his own...
    Proud to be an American!

I've never hunted Kodiak goats after the first of the new year, having said that, IMO the best all around time to goat hunt on Kodiak is early to mid Oct. Now having said that, I'll be hunting it in early Sept. this year, but that's only because the time frame works out best with my sons school schedule. This is for sure my favorite hunt, with sheep being a close second. Wishing everyone a safe and enjoyable hunt this year, good luck guy's.

I hunted deer on Kodiak last year and just checked my pics. We were there from Nov. 15th til the 23rd. It was just getting dark at 5:00 pm. The goats that we could see were very accessible but it would have been a full day and coming down in the dark. If I were to do it that late, I would plan on sleeping up top after the goat was down.

I second the weather delay comments if you go this late. We were 2 nights in Anchorage and 2 days in Kodiak trying to get flown into Larsen Bay.