Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fly Fishing Reels

Default Fly Fishing Reels

We have been using System 2 reels for red and king salmon. The drags are ok but when the reels become wet they slip till they are dry again. But they do have the ability to lock up the reel if need be.
    I wanted to try something new so I purchased a Ross CLA 5. No doubt it is smoother than the System 2 wet or dry but the drag stinks. Even when fully tightened down I could not stop a foul hooked red from running down stream in the Russian last week.
    The Ross went back to Cabelas along with there 10 wt SLT rod that broke first time out. I then called Ross and they told me the reel was not defective and that is all the drag strength it had (12-15 pounds). They suggested I try one of there new Momenteum Reels claiming it has the ability to dead lift 12 pounds off the ground and it had the strongest drag of any reel they offered.
    Has anyone tried one of these new Monenteum reels? Likes or dislikes?
    Thank you.
    Tennessee

Not too sure why you would need a Superman drag on the Russian, never been there myself. Is it because of the crowds? I have the Ross CLA 5 and love it. Foul hooked a few reds last week and sure the drag was not like a vice grip on the line, but I thought that was what was fun about it.

Default My favorite fly reel for the Russian

I use the Fly logic FLP890 on the Russian. When you crank the drag down it is tough for the Reds to run on you. It isn't going to be silky smooth at the end of the spectrum, but you can't expect that. On the down side it is heavy, and not much to look at, but for the price you can't beat them

Quote Originally Posted by epw View Post
    Not too sure why you would need a Superman drag on the Russian, never been there myself. Is it because of the crowds? I have the Ross CLA 5 and love it. Foul hooked a few reds last week and sure the drag was not like a vice grip on the line, but I thought that was what was fun about it.
    You have to be able to stop the fish from running a long ways or you will tangle up with a dozen people. This is combat fishing at it's finest
    Tennessee

Totally understand that now. I hear it's great fishing up there, but I dont know how I would be able to deal with those crowds.

Talking

Can't go wrong with a Tibor!!!

I've pulled many a red out of the Russian using a Tioga reel. Love the drag on them and I haven't found anything else that can beat them for the price. They run about $130ish new, but can be had on ebay (new even) for less. I have a 4 wt., 6 wt. and just bought an 8 wt. Teton (Teton makes Tioga reels and the drags are identical). Love these reels.

Default Fly reels for reds

For the low end reels the Okuma are unbeatable. I used a couple of Integrity reels for three or four years and upgraded to the Helois model last year. With carefull shopping I picked up several of the Helios models on EBay for around $110 including shipping. The Helios is a very nice machined reel; the Integrity is a cast model that is mechanically nearly identical.

I've fished all day and dunked them in and out of the water with no problems with their powerfull drags. The Intergity also have a large star adjustment knob that is the best I've seen on any fly reel; I wish they had the same on the Helios model.

I fished a Teton 7 reel last two times out but couldn't see any significant difference between it and the Helois. I'll use it some more this year and see which one I end up using the most.

I spent an hour or so last winter at Sportsmans Warehouse with a curious salesperson trying the drags all the affordable reels that had in the case. At least in the dry state the Helois was the equal of any of them and better than most.

One curse of Ross Reels - the factory will not sell spare parts! You MUST return the reel for service vs. local repair or air mailing you parts for other reel brans like Okuma and perhaps Teton.

No disrespect, but your all wrong -- try the Galvan Rush, Openback, or Torque. Cheapest high quality drag system available. But you no what they say, opinions are like a-holes, everyone's got one and they're usually full of s&*%!

I have several ross reels. I have a CLA 5 it has its place but not the russian river, the little sue yes the slower the water the better.

When I make the midnight runs to the russian and im fishing in the Kenai I use my Canyon Big Game. This is what the Momentum replaced. Its a awsome reel with an incredible drag. The Momentums are very nice a little spendy for me though. You can get a nice Canyon Big Game on E bay for around 250.00. And as with all their reels Ross still sells spools for them and will fix what breaks (although I've never had that happen).

Good luck Not sure where your located but there are some great fly shops in Anchorage that would love to show you what the Momentum will do.

Default Galvan fly reels

Quote Originally Posted by AKUNITED View Post
    No disrespect, but your all wrong -- try the Galvan Rush, Openback, or Torque. Cheapest high quality drag system available. But you no what they say, opinions are like a-holes, everyone's got one and they're usually full of s&*%!
    Not sure who sells the Galvan reels in Anchorage but I will take a look at them and also see what they go for on EBay.

In checking prices on the web I see that the Galvan reels sell for much more than the Okuma models; a spare spool for the Galvan reels sells for more than I paid for the whole Okuma Helois reel.

My opinion was that the Okuma reels are the best value in reels with acceptable drag on the lower end of the price scale; the Galvan series are another step up in the price range. In their price range the Galvan reels may indeed be the best value.

I have alot of buddies that use the okuma and they love them for reds and silvers. My wife use's a loomis for the big fall bows and dolly's and has caught fish up to 10 lbs on them with no issue's. It is a small loomis as she would say and fits her tiny hands well. I have been using if you can believe this a scientific angler reel. A friend left it with me around 7 years ago up here. That reel has many hundreds of reds, silvers, bows, and dollies on it and has never given me a single problem. Just give it a liitle preventive maintnance once in a while. Im my thoughs big $$$$'sdoes not always mean best product. June's reel cost me only 100.00 and i think the scientific's are running around 75. Just our experiences we have found
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

I went with another Ross, this time there Momentum series. The drag on the reel will almost lock up and is still smooth as silk.
    Even purchased it locally at Mt View Sports in Anchorage. With there 10% discount for us old military folks they have become very competitive with their pricing.
    Tennessee

For what it's worth....I agree with the Okuma suggestion. I have both Integrity and Helios reels. They're great for the money. Personally, I think Ross Reels aren't worth the money. I've had a couple, and in fairness still have them, but I can't say I'm happy with their performance. The strongest drag I've found is on my personal favorite Abel Super 4. It's a lightweight reel but the strength of the drag is amazing. My line would easily break before the reel gave way if I cranked on it. Having said all that...I use my baitcaster on the russian. If, and that's a big IF...you can get away from people, I'll use a fly rod for reds, but there're just no point using anything less then what's going to fill your freezer quickly.

You can find the Galvans at MacAfee's!!
    Last edited by aknater; 07-04-2007 at 12:53. Reason: forgot something

The Galvan Rush model seems promising to add to the tackle box for the wife or backup. Reasonable price and promise of a good drag.
    Does anyone here have any experience with this reel?
    Tennessee

Why not just use a reel with a palm drag?
    The individual right to keep and bear arms shall not be denied or infringed by the State or a political subdivision of the State.

Anyone try the Galvan rush reels?
    Tennessee

Van Staal's C-vex fly reels have the best drag of any fly reel I've used, bar none. They're incredibly strong, infinitely adjustable, fade-proof, and completely waterproof. You could drop it in the Susitna and the silt can't reach the drag. Once you try one you'll do what it takes to buy one. I don't remember any product that's impressed me more than these reels.

http://www.vanstaal.com/CVEX_Reels.html

Default Don't forget the Orvis . .

I have a hard time saying anything bad about the Orvis Battenkill reels, maybe the best value available for the money out there. And now that they're coming out with large arbor reels, I'll look at replacing some of my older Battenkills. These older ones are the ones I give to non-flyfishing guests as they are pretty much bulletproof . . .

SH

Default Galvan

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Anyone try the Galvan rush reels?

I have both a R-6 (bows and salmon) and R-8 (steelhead) - absolutely love them. Replaced my Ross reels. Not a big Ross fan for the money. Talk to the guy a McAfee's he'll be able to give you some good insight as to why Galvan is such a good reel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast