Thread: Antlerless moose on Elliot Hwy.

Default Antlerless moose on Elliot Hwy.

My son drew a DM698 tag and wants me to go up there on a quick turnaround run since I have to start teaching on the 17th. Looks like success rate is low on average. Have any of you folks up that way seen harvestable beasts? Thanks for your responses.

PM sent Good Luck

success rate that hunt based on hours available to hunt. if you are available to hunt first 2 - 3 days of season and the last week of season, you stand good chance of harvesting..

that said: the best way to fill a tag is be there when the animal is there, and season is open....

good luck,
    Chris

Quick turnaround? Sounds like your looking for a "kill" and not a "hunt" Sayak!
    I'd suggest calling the area bio, Don Young, (yes that is really his name) and the asst. bio, Tony. See what they can provide for help.
    The area for that permit is just the other side of the ridge from the minto antlerless hunt that opens in Oct. Plenty of moose around Minto.
    That's a long drive for someone who lives on the Kenai!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Quick turnaround? Sounds like your looking for a "kill" and not a "hunt" Sayak!
    I'd suggest calling the area bio, Don Young, (yes that is really his name) and the asst. bio, Tony. See what they can provide for help.
    The area for that permit is just the other side of the ridge from the minto antlerless hunt that opens in Oct. Plenty of moose around Minto.
    That's a long drive for someone who lives on the Kenai!
    Yes it is, and warm too. Plus I leave on a school Yukon float trip the next week. I wouldn't do it for myself, it's to help my son. Yeah, not really a hunt as I like them. Thanks for the info BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by ALASKA RASTUS View Post
    PM sent Good Luck
    I didn't receive your PM, RASTUS. I cleaned out some stuff in case it was too full.

Quote Originally Posted by akgun&ammo View Post
    success rate that hunt based on hours available to hunt. if you are available to hunt first 2 - 3 days of season and the last week of season, you stand good chance of harvesting..

that said: the best way to fill a tag is be there when the animal is there, and season is open....

good luck,
    Chris
    Yeah, I hope it all works out and would love to have time, but have work obligations as a teacher as school starts earlier every year it seems.