Thread: Caribou hunting

Default Caribou hunting

Hello I moved up from the 48 a couple years ago and I'm looking to do my first caribou hunt, I'm located in Fairbanks and I'm really interested in doing the hunt by foot and backpacking but I'm not really sure what area I should go too or when would be the best time. Any pointers or tips would be a great help thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you don't already have a caribou permit, your options for hunting caribou this year are pretty limited. The only two hunts I can think of open to people who don't already have a permit are along the Haul Road and the 40-mile herd. Haul road requires archery hunting if you want to hunt within 5 miles of the road (can use a rifle if you hike out further but it is a very tough hike). 40-mile herd has a registration hunt.

Best thing would be to get a copy of the current hunting regulations and look for the caribou section in each unit. Once you find that, look for hunts that are labeled as either HT (harvest ticket) or RC (registration caribou). Note that the RC566 is already awarded as the Tier I system, so that specific one won't be an option.

Is the 5 mile hike worth it in the end, as far as the caribou being plentiful ?

Quote Originally Posted by Arizonaboy36 View Post
    Is the 5 mile hike worth it in the end, as far as the caribou being plentiful ?

Do a little searching through this forum for "haul road" and "5 mile hike" and you will find plenty of information about it. It isn't just a 5-mile hike like many think at first. It is very tough ground surface to hike on. Many think it will not be a big deal, but most vow to never do it again after the first time. Some are okay with it, but that is only a small percentage of those who try it.

Is it worth the 5 mile death march... One way? It's a hunt. If they were plentiful we'd call it harvesting. That being said if you hike out are you going to see caribou, who knows. I've been out 5 miles and had opportunities within bow range. The last time I was out there we saw 5 cows in 5 days. Then on the other side of the uncross able river there was a herd of 50 or so. We did the death march that year without killing a caribou. It was tough especially for the non resident hunters not seeing anything legal. Of course they enjoyed it anyway. Nothing is a guarantee. That being said if you're set on it being on foot with a backpack that might be a good place to try as the 40 mile hunt is motorized access and you'll be competing with atv hunters. Even your odds some and go to a motorized restricted area- haul road. As far as timing keep an eye on the bow hunting forum and watch the haul road report. Do you want to hunt fuzzy antlered bulls and fight with the bugs and heat? Do you want hard antlered bulls and deal with less light and cooler temps? Do you want the ground to be snow covered? You are limited to your imagination. What do you want?

Thank you for the advice, another thing ,about how many days should I allow myself for the hunt and what are things I should pack? Also any ideas how far down the road i should go or spits to suggest

Quote Originally Posted by Arizonaboy36 View Post
    Thank you for the advice, another thing ,about how many days should I allow myself for the hunt and what are things I should pack? Also any ideas how far down the road i should go or spits to suggest

USE THE SEARCH BUTTON

I've never even hunted the haul road but know the answer to most of your questions, just by random posts in threads I've read on this site!
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

What to take how long? All depends on what YOU want to do. I'm not going to take the same stuff in November as I do in august. See what I'm sayin?

Just drive down the road a ways, grab your rifle, walk out there, blast some caribou and drag them back to your truck, easy walking everywhere up there on the slope so you could pry do it in a day trip so no need to bring anything other than a knife an a 🔫

ZonaBoy . . . look in the regs for the registration hunts in 20D, down by Delta Junction. Those are walk-in only hunts. You sign up for those the same way you sign up for the 40-mile herd hunts. Register online.