Thread: Kanektok tent lodges

Default Kanektok tent lodges

My brother, his wife and I are planning a trip for next season. Due to differences in fly casting experience with heavier rods, we have decided that the Kanektok would be a good choice due to its smaller size. We are hoping to target rainbows in prime condition and fresh silvers willing to take topwater presentations. With this in mind, we are looking at dates during the late season- towards the end of August. In order to maximize our fishing opportunities, we would prefer to avoid the daily camp break down and set up required during a float trip. Three operations with permanent tent camps have been identified- Reel Action (at 1 mile above tidewater), Alaska West (at 5.5 miles above tidewater) and Dave Duncan and Sons (1 camp at 18 miles above tidewater and 1 camp at 30 miles above tidewater). If anyone has experience/input regarding these camps, we would appreciate any information that might be shared.
    Additional facts that might affect our decision on a camp:
    Location- At that time in the season with the amount of eggs and flesh available, will the rainbows be spread out throughout the river or would a higher location (30 miles upriver) provide better opportunities for them. Would mousing still be an effective tactic for the rainbows or would it likely be a flesh fly, bead and streamer bite at that time? Conversely, would a location nearest tidewater provide better opportunities for taking silvers on wogs/topwater patterns or will the salmon still be topwater aggressive higher in the river? I would have the same question about the availability of char and grayling- which we would also like to target- regarding their expected location in the river at that time.
    Both Alaska West and Reel Action advertise that camp equipment (rods, reels, lines, terminal gear) is available for use at no charge and that flies are provided. While we have our own equipment, it would be reassuring that spares are available and that spey or switch rods would be available to try. This would seem to be a big plus.
    Thanks for your help.

I know a couple of the guides at Alaska West and they are top notch. Spey and switch rods are definitely available to use with instruction. If Alaska West has openings during this time frame I'd book with them. I don't have any intel on either of the other outfitters you listed.

The big bows will be lower in the system that time of year and large flesh flys will be the ticket. The dolly fishing will be outstanding and the fish will be very fat and colorful. They will be a little higher in the system.

A lot of your questions could be more accurately answered by giving these lodges a call. They will all have access to all parts of the river via jetboat.
    "The North wind is cold no matter what direction it's blowing"

Quote Originally Posted by rattman View Post
    My brother, his wife and I are planning a trip for next season. Due to differences in fly casting experience with heavier rods, we have decided that the Kanektok would be a good choice due to its smaller size. We are hoping to target rainbows in prime condition and fresh silvers willing to take topwater presentations. With this in mind, we are looking at dates during the late season- towards the end of August. In order to maximize our fishing opportunities, we would prefer to avoid the daily camp break down and set up required during a float trip. Three operations with permanent tent camps have been identified- Reel Action (at 1 mile above tidewater), Alaska West (at 5.5 miles above tidewater) and Dave Duncan and Sons (1 camp at 18 miles above tidewater and 1 camp at 30 miles above tidewater). If anyone has experience/input regarding these camps, we would appreciate any information that might be shared. I'VE SEEN PICTURES OF MULTIPLE BIG RAINBOWS FROM A CLIENT OF THAT ALASKA WEST LODGE; ALL OF THE CAMPS I AM GUESSING ARE PROBABLY PRETTY GOOD. THE RAINBOW FISHING ON THAT RIVER WAS NOT A PIECE OF CAKE FOR ME SO I CAN UNDERSTAND WHY PEOPLE MAY WANT TO GO WITH A GUIDE.
    Additional facts that might affect our decision on a camp:
    Location- At that time in the season with the amount of eggs and flesh available, will the rainbows be spread out throughout the river or would a higher location (30 miles upriver) provide better opportunities for them SPREAD OUT. Would mousing still be an effective tactic for the rainbows or would it likely be a flesh fly, bead and streamer bite at that time MAYBE, BUT I DIDN'T HAVE MUCH LUCK WITH MICE PATTERNS DESPITE THE REPUTATION OF THE RIVER AND ESPECIALLY NOTHING IN THE PART THAT THE LODGE JETBOATS GET TO; THE BIT OF MOUSE ACTION AS I REMEMBER MORE IN THE UPSTREAM 1/3 OF THE RIVER; HAD A FEW TAKES ON THE FLESH FLY; MOST FISH ON STREAMERS; QUITE A FEW NICE LARGE CHARR ON GLO-BUGS; ? Conversely, would a location nearest tidewater provide better opportunities for taking silvers on wogs/topwater patterns or will the salmon still be topwater aggressive higher in the river? SILVERS WILL COLLECT IN BACKWATERS ABOVE TIDEWATER, BUT THE DISTRIBUTION DEPENDS ON RAIN; I WOULDN'T DESIGN A TRIP AROUND THE POTENTIAL FOR TOPWATER SALMON FISHING; IT ONLY HAPPENS IN CERTAIN SITUATIONS; WITH A GOOD RAIN, THE SILVERS CAN SPREAD OUT AND MOVE QUICKLY - I CAUGHT SEVERAL BRIGHT SILVERS WAY, WAY, UPSTREAM, JUST BELOW PEGATI LAKE I would have the same question about the availability of char and grayling- which we would also like to target- regarding their expected location in the river at that time.THE SCHOOLS OF BIG CHARR IN THAT RIVER I FOUND ABOVE AND IN OR NEAR KLAK CREEK WHERE THE RED SALMON GO, OR AREAS WHERE KINGS HAD SPAWNED; THAT'S WAY UPSTREAM ACCESSIBLE ONLY VIA A FLOAT TRIP AS I RECALL.
    Both Alaska West and Reel Action advertise that camp equipment (rods, reels, lines, terminal gear) is available for use at no charge and that flies are provided. While we have our own equipment, it would be reassuring that spares are available and that spey or switch rods would be available to try. This would seem to be a big plus.
    Thanks for your help.
    My personal take on your questions is in bold CAPS, above (from 10 day trip on the river, late august period)

Thank you all for your replies and suggestions- both through your posts and via PM's. Unfortunately, a portion of the information shared with me is contradictory so I would appreciate any additional input. Regardless of the camp that will be our destination, I am confident that the Kanektok River is an absolutely excellent fishery and will provide fine fishing and memories.

I have fished with a guy that spends a week with Duncan and sons every fall for the last 8-9 years. He had nothing but great things to say about their operation. I've seen many pics from his trips and they definitely get their share.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I've known the Duncans since I was a kid, long time ago. They run a solid outfit there. Alaska West (Deneki) I've only heard good things about as well. I don't think you can go wrong with either outfit, although the upper Duncan camp would be the one I would probably be more interested in. I've DIY floated the river twice now, and unless you have a ton of experience and good, fresh intel, the K can be a tough river once you get to the braids. A quality guide solves that and puts you in great position to be successful. I've never heard of the third outfit, assuming they are new. It's unfortunate if so, the river has enough pressure already between folks like myself floating, the two guide operations and the locals.

Both Alaska West and Duncan's will have plenty of gear and good guides. The Kanektok River is about as easiest as it gets when it comes to floating. There are plenty of gravel bars and firewood. You will catch fish from top to bottom at the end of August. Silvers will be from bottom to middle of the river last week of August. You will find Dolly's/Rainbows from top to bottom. The first 10 miles downstream from the lake is slow fishing but you will still catch fish. If you want to catch lots of Dolly's, a bead will do the job. We swung for Rainbows and Silvers with many different streamers and everything produced.