Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 60

Thread: Cummins 6.7 Konrad package!

  1. #1
    Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Old Harbor, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    1,360

    Default Cummins 6.7 Konrad package!

    Anyone using one yet? Im waiting for a quote from NW cummins. Also waiting for a quote for adding another D6 370 to the 34ft boat to make it a twin. Kicking around the idea of running a single cummins 6.7L with a Konrad drive verses a twin Volvo D6 with twin DPH drives. I already know what potbuilder is going to say, but is anyone running a the Cummins Konrad package?
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

  2. #2
    Member Sobie2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Juneau
    Posts
    1,040

    Default

    Konrads are very durable, but you are still pushing a lot of boat with only one drive. Since you already are running one D6, adding one more would seem to make the most dare I say, "cents" But then again you are doubling down on Volvo at the Blackjack table.

    Sobie2

  3. #3
    Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Old Harbor, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    1,360

    Default

    Yes, but Im looking for info from those that have a setup like a single konrad or even someone with twin 370s with twin dph drives on a 14-18 thousand pound boat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sobie2 View Post
    Konrads are very durable, but you are still pushing a lot of boat with only one drive. Since you already are running one D6, adding one more would seem to make the most dare I say, "cents" But then again you are doubling down on Volvo at the Blackjack table.

    Sobie2
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

  4. #4
    Sponsor potbuilder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    4,234

    Default

    although i think twins are "double trouble" i also think you would be better off with twins sharing the load. It did seem that a lot of the bigger 30-32' bowpickers that had twin 41 volvo's had less problems than singles. I have a buddy who has twin konrad's hooked up to Nanni diesels(toyota blocks) in a big heavy aluminum 32' bowpicker and as far as i know he has had very good results with them. The bowpicker in some of the newer Konrad ads is his boat Its named Lady Lori.
    Cummins has some great pricing on their "recon" diesels right now.
    I do of another boat that had a single Konrad in a bowpicker that had problems with U joints wearing quickly.

    beauty for sale back east http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_143883411976812&key=a5 e496dd8f05f5c252be8cf4516d245c&libId=iczoo8ob0100m 6fp000DLb9xdiay0&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fdowneastboatforu m.com%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D14678&v=1&out=http%3A %2F%2Fwww.yachtworld.com%2Fboats%2F2001%2FDuffy-37-2867496%2FScituate%2FMA%2FUnited-States%23.VbrUmflVhBc&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fdowneastboa tforum.com%2Fforumdisplay.php%3Ff%3D86&title=37%20 Duffy%20with%20Cat%20C12%20-%20Downeast%20Boat%20Forum&txt=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ya chtworld.com%2Fboats%2F2001...s%23.VbrUmflVhBc

    this one is a steal
    http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...148809276.html

    this one also has potential http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...FUnited-States

    Alaska Shrimp Pots

    Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

  5. #5
    Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Old Harbor, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    1,360

    Default

    The quote for making the Fishy Fishy into a twin is more than the boats you showed me! well some of them, but still! thanks for the info. QUOTE=potbuilder;1495895]although i think twins are "double trouble" i also think you would be better off with twins sharing the load. It did seem that a lot of the bigger 30-32' bowpickers that had twin 41 volvo's had less problems than singles. I have a buddy who has twin konrad's hooked up to Nanni diesels(toyota blocks) in a big heavy aluminum 32' bowpicker and as far as i know he has had very good results with them. The bowpicker in some of the newer Konrad ads is his boat Its named Lady Lori.
    Cummins has some great pricing on their "recon" diesels right now.
    I do of another boat that had a single Konrad in a bowpicker that had problems with U joints wearing quickly.

    beauty for sale back east http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_143883411976812&key=a5 e496dd8f05f5c252be8cf4516d245c&libId=iczoo8ob0100m 6fp000DLb9xdiay0&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fdowneastboatforu m.com%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D14678&v=1&out=http%3A %2F%2Fwww.yachtworld.com%2Fboats%2F2001%2FDuffy-37-2867496%2FScituate%2FMA%2FUnited-States%23.VbrUmflVhBc&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fdowneastboa tforum.com%2Fforumdisplay.php%3Ff%3D86&title=37%20 Duffy%20with%20Cat%20C12%20-%20Downeast%20Boat%20Forum&txt=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ya chtworld.com%2Fboats%2F2001...s%23.VbrUmflVhBc

    this one is a steal
    http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...148809276.html

    this one also has potential http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...FUnited-States[/QUOTE]
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

  6. #6
    Sponsor potbuilder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    4,234

    Default

    go get either the Duffy or this monster http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...103017644.html

    here's the new Tuna.com from Wicked Tuna 44 Calvin Beal https://youtu.be/XEq5eQaOz44
    https://youtu.be/5mXd1254wtQ

    Alaska Shrimp Pots

    Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    go get either the Duffy or this monster http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...103017644.html

    here's the new Tuna.com from Wicked Tuna 44 Calvin Beal https://youtu.be/XEq5eQaOz44
    https://youtu.be/5mXd1254wtQ
    Steve, what's so special about the Tuna.com boat? Appears to be slow boat in the short video. . I'd be out and back to the Gulf with a limit of fish before they even made it to the fishing grounds.

  8. #8
    Sponsor potbuilder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    4,234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Halibutgrove View Post
    Steve, what's so special about the Tuna.com boat? Appears to be slow boat in the short video. . I'd be out and back to the Gulf with a limit of fish before they even made it to the fishing grounds.

    I guess a 44 footer that cruises at 18-21 knots in just about any weather is a POS slow boat ?? Looks like its moving pretty good to me in the 1st vid. Take your boat back east load it up like they did for sea trail and go fish with those guys and then tell me whats so special about your boat. I doubt it would do anything near any of those boats. You'd have to take a ride on one of these hulls to realize what they are.
    Sea trials all done with no issues!
    With;
    600 gallons fuel
    100 gallon live well
    150 gallon water
    Most gear onboard
    5 persons
    Max 25 kts
    Cruise 21 kts
    Ideal 18 kts

    Alaska Shrimp Pots

    Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

  9. #9
    Sponsor potbuilder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    4,234

    Default

    yeah them lobster boats are slow and don't ride well
    https://youtu.be/aTaoPLUv90w

    Alaska Shrimp Pots

    Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

  10. #10
    Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Old Harbor, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    1,360

    Default

    If was just a jigger/longliner I would order one! Im trolling for king salmon and have to get in tight spots where it is shallow and have to turn on a dime at trolling speeds 1.5-2 knots. but jigging halibut and ling cod any of those lobster boats would be awesome! I guess I need 2-3 boats!
    Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    yeah them lobster boats are slow and don't ride well
    https://youtu.be/aTaoPLUv90w
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

  11. #11
    Sponsor potbuilder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    4,234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kodiakcombo View Post
    If was just a jigger/longliner I would order one! Im trolling for king salmon and have to get in tight spots where it is shallow and have to turn on a dime at trolling speeds 1.5-2 knots. but jigging halibut and ling cod any of those lobster boats would be awesome! I guess I need 2-3 boats!
    My 29' H&H will turn around in its own length, it turns like a maserati sports car. How shallow do you go ?? I draw aprox 3 1/2ft. Add a trolling valve to the transmission and you'll be crawling along. Once you get it in your head to get away from all that mickey mouse recreational stuff and get into a bigger displacement slower turning engine and transmission you'll stop wasting money on fixing things that shouldn't break.

    Alaska Shrimp Pots

    Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    I guess a 44 footer that cruises at 18-21 knots in just about any weather is a POS slow boat ?? Looks like its moving pretty good to me in the 1st vid. Take your boat back east load it up like they did for sea trail and go fish with those guys and then tell me whats so special about your boat. I doubt it would do anything near any of those boats. You'd have to take a ride on one of these hulls to realize what they are.
    Sea trials all done with no issues!
    With;
    600 gallons fuel
    100 gallon live well
    150 gallon water
    Most gear onboard
    5 persons
    Max 25 kts
    Cruise 21 kts
    Ideal 18 kts
    Steve I didn't say it was a POS those are your words, they're just slow. 18Kts is a slow boat, especially when a day trip out an back can be 180nm. Would take your lobster boat nearly 5-6hrs to get to the fishing ground, giving you two hours to fish and be back on a 12hr fishing trip. Even at 30kt cruise it takes 3-3.5 hours to get there. It definitely wouldn't make a good day charter boat unless your good fishing grounds are close to port or a maybe doing overnight trips. They might be a good option in a commercial fishery where time isn't a factor but I'm not sure they would work well as recreational boat or charter boat. If you ever want to go fish just let me know and I'll give you a call the next time I'm going.

  13. #13
    Member jrogers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,539

    Default

    Jeff,

    I don't have experience with Cummins, but I had a couple of thoughts reading through this. I bet you would be money ahead to repair your boat and sell it, and buy another Ocean Sport with dual motors vs. converting yours. While dual outdrives will reduce the load on each one, then you have two motors to have issues with. I remember you had some fuel problems with damaged some expensive injectors. You may have been fortunate that you only had one motor at this time or the bill might have been double. Another option to consider is getting a spare outdrive and just having it available. They are really easy to swap and you could have the one with trouble repaired at your leisure if you had a spare.

    I think another thing that is a factor is your deadrise on your boat. I think they are really steep on the Ocean Sport, this will cause more load just like more weight. Nothing you can do about this, but just something to consider when looking at different options. I am only at about 500 hours on my DPHC, but last oil change it looked just like when it went in, so I am hopeful that whoever told you the C series drives were better were accurate. Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

  14. #14
    Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Old Harbor, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    1,360

    Default

    Thanks jrogers, we ran our situation by the boaters here on the island and on the web and called several builders and engine installers thru out the country. Unfortunately we are limited by our location as far as service and experienced drive/shaft conversion go. What we found was that drives dont last long for commercial use on heavy boats and we can attest to that. Converting our boat to shaft is not recommended if the guy converting has not successfully converted at least 20. We recieved quotes for turning our single screw to twin with another D6 370 with drive from 2 people and its going to be $120,000 plus $25,000 for shipping! We have had a lot of people try and talk me into outboards, just to big of boat and it is not a outboard boat by design. We are still on charter with our last spare drive (it has a drive shower now) We might turn the boat into a twin or just sell. I think those of us that live on an Island need at least 3 boats, one for running around light with family short runs light skiff like a PT skiff, one for doing charters low maintenance ha ha, hopefully single engine I change oils every month! and doing oil changes on 2 engines would be different, and you gotta have a shaft boat for cruising along at 8 knots hauling wood freight etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrogers View Post
    Jeff,

    I don't have experience with Cummins, but I had a couple of thoughts reading through this. I bet you would be money ahead to repair your boat and sell it, and buy another Ocean Sport with dual motors vs. converting yours. While dual outdrives will reduce the load on each one, then you have two motors to have issues with. I remember you had some fuel problems with damaged some expensive injectors. You may have been fortunate that you only had one motor at this time or the bill might have been double. Another option to consider is getting a spare outdrive and just having it available. They are really easy to swap and you could have the one with trouble repaired at your leisure if you had a spare.

    I think another thing that is a factor is your deadrise on your boat. I think they are really steep on the Ocean Sport, this will cause more load just like more weight. Nothing you can do about this, but just something to consider when looking at different options. I am only at about 500 hours on my DPHC, but last oil change it looked just like when it went in, so I am hopeful that whoever told you the C series drives were better were accurate. Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

  15. #15
    Sponsor potbuilder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    4,234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kodiakcombo View Post
    Thanks jrogers, we ran our situation by the boaters here on the island and on the web and called several builders and engine installers thru out the country. Unfortunately we are limited by our location as far as service and experienced drive/shaft conversion go. What we found was that drives dont last long for commercial use on heavy boats and we can attest to that. Converting our boat to shaft is not recommended if the guy converting has not successfully converted at least 20. We recieved quotes for turning our single screw to twin with another D6 370 with drive from 2 people and its going to be $120,000 plus $25,000 for shipping! We have had a lot of people try and talk me into outboards, just to big of boat and it is not a outboard boat by design. We are still on charter with our last spare drive (it has a drive shower now) We might turn the boat into a twin or just sell. I think those of us that live on an Island need at least 3 boats, one for running around light with family short runs light skiff like a PT skiff, one for doing charters low maintenance ha ha, hopefully single engine I change oils every month! and doing oil changes on 2 engines would be different, and you gotta have a shaft boat for cruising along at 8 knots hauling wood freight etc.
    Or go get a nice DE boat and do 2 out of 3 well !! Most of the better known builders back there are 2-3 years out on new builds, guess thats because those boats aren't any good for many applications. Call me if you want to talk about those boats.

    Alaska Shrimp Pots

    Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

  16. #16
    Sponsor potbuilder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    4,234

    Default

    found this pic on Konrads site, Boat is a 30' Buffalo built in Bellingham. I think the 25knot cruise is wishful thinking, 20 would be more ballpark to me.

    Alaska Shrimp Pots

    Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

  17. #17
    Member FISHFACE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    535

    Default

    It's seems there's no interest in your DE boats you keep posting up.
    Boatless

  18. #18
    Sponsor potbuilder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Palmer
    Posts
    4,234

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FISHFACE View Post
    It's seems there's no interest in your DE boats you keep posting up.

    yup guess the only good boats are tin cans

    Alaska Shrimp Pots

    Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

  19. #19
    Member FISHFACE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    535

    Default

    There sure is more of a market for them in the PNW.
    Boatless

  20. #20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kodiakcombo View Post
    Thanks jrogers, we ran our situation by the boaters here on the island and on the web and called several builders and engine installers thru out the country. Unfortunately we are limited by our location as far as service and experienced drive/shaft conversion go. What we found was that drives dont last long for commercial use on heavy boats and we can attest to that. Converting our boat to shaft is not recommended if the guy converting has not successfully converted at least 20. We recieved quotes for turning our single screw to twin with another D6 370 with drive from 2 people and its going to be $120,000 plus $25,000 for shipping! We have had a lot of people try and talk me into outboards, just to big of boat and it is not a outboard boat by design. We are still on charter with our last spare drive (it has a drive shower now) We might turn the boat into a twin or just sell. I think those of us that live on an Island need at least 3 boats, one for running around light with family short runs light skiff like a PT skiff, one for doing charters low maintenance ha ha, hopefully single engine I change oils every month! and doing oil changes on 2 engines would be different, and you gotta have a shaft boat for cruising along at 8 knots hauling wood freight etc.
    Have you considered switching over to jets? A pair of FPT N67 tuned to 450hp or 500hp with HJ274 or HJ292s and 1:1 transmissions would push that boat very well with low maintenance cost. PM me if you need a price quote on a package. Just quoted out a pair for a 35' Catamaran.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •