Thread: Homer Kid Fishing Spots

Question Homer Kid Fishing Spots

Anyone have recommendations for close in spots for kids to fish. Not to far from Harbor. Got a niece and nephew from London coming down Friday (8/7) They have never fished before. I have holes a couple hours run out but looking for something closer in as my boat is only 18' and not up to testing there tummies.

Like to put them on some little halibut. Not looking for anything they can't reel in on there own
    Thanks for any info
    Cheers
    Flash

I guess it depends on the age of the kids. My ten year old has caught 35 pound halibut from a kayak and dozens of salmon from a powerboat or shore. Yet, he still loves the pollock fishing at the end of the spit right in front of the Lands End Hotel. Always tons of pollock and you may have a chance at small halibut, silvers, and even kings. Action is non-stop for pollock especially if you use bait.

I try to get my ten year old out doing more of the fishing that I like to do, but at the end of the day, he still prefers catching to fishing so the pollock fishing is still his favorite.

Others may chime in for chicken holes near Homer. Another option might be to shoot across the to Islands area and find some rockfish with you sonar. Seems to be a few around Sadie Cove and the other rocky areas though they aren't really big

Here's a video of the pollock fishing I did with my son.
    https://youtu.be/uD_LYyXQ6gM

Kardinal 84, Thanks for the information. Do you mean where the pilings are? I can probably anchor pretty easily there. The kids are 9 and 11. I am sure there will be screaming going on when we pull in their first fish. Are the pollock out there at the end of spit of an edible size? I want to teach them good stewardship and to eat what they catch. Of course I will let that slide if they catch an Irish Lord. and I can always throw small ones back.
    I can sure get across to Sadie Cove. Do you suggest going all the way in or fishing at the entrance?
    Thanks again.

Default Homer Kid Fishing Spots

I'll let the powerboat veterans chime in about the islands. The pollock are of edible size. Having said that, their parasite load can be heavy. You can almost tell when they are alive due to the sores on on them. Even the clean ones have a few but they all do. Do NOT recommend cleaning them in front of squeamish family. But once cleaned and worms removed, they are a great white fish. It's what McDonald's flicker o fish is made from. Ok. Not the best marketing but I guess I just mean to say it's very western palate friendly.

Tough call. Depends on your family I guess. You will catch so many, it would be a good catch and release lesson if nothing else. Even for us I have one in four or five that I cringe when I fillet them and they go into composting.

For catching and eating the small rockfish or even the greenlings found in Ricky areas by the islands might be a better catch and eat lesson for the kids.

But they'll have a blast with the easy pollock.

AlaskaKayakFisher.com
    Guidesak.blogspot.com
    My personal pages...I'm not a guide.

I had heard they can be quite wormy. Might work around the islands first. Also looked at some old forum information about spots in line with Main St. Headed out in a few minutes.. Wish us luck and thanks all for the info.
    cheers