Thread: Lower Kenai Trout/Dolly fishing

Default Lower Kenai Trout/Dolly fishing

I am down in Soldotna working during the weekdays and have some free time after work. I've been hitting the reds a lot and doing well. When the run dies down I was wondering if it possible to catch rainbows like up on the middle and upper sections. I can either bank fish or float. I have a raft. Any suggestions or comments? Can I do an evening float in the sterling/Soldotna areas? Thanks
    The secret to fishing is: Fish where the fish are.

Quote Originally Posted by AKSweetPete View Post
    I am down in Soldotna working during the weekdays and have some free time after work. I've been hitting the reds a lot and doing well. When the run dies down I was wondering if it possible to catch rainbows like up on the middle and upper sections. I can either bank fish or float. I have a raft. Any suggestions or comments? Can I do an evening float in the sterling/Soldotna areas? Thanks
    Yes to all of the above. You could bank fish or float for trout and either will produce. Floating would be my preference. Flesh and beads would be my choice. 10-12 mill fresh painted beads would be the ticket.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

While flipping for reds around river mile 16 (above big eddy) we catch mostly dollies, but have caught a few bows. One dolly this summer was about 8 pounds, most are 18" or less. The area we are at has a lot of private fish cleaning tables along it at the RV parks and anytime you toss a bead or fresh flesh you get something. Even orange yarn results in dollies.

Yeah, forgot to mention the cleaning tables. While floating downriver we will try to float past every public and private cleaning table on both sides of the river.
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly