Thread: Brown Bear mauls woman near Sterling, AK.

Default Brown Bear mauls woman near Sterling, AK.

http://mynorthwest.com/15/2792805/Al...r-bear-mauling

a few more details. As most of us know, what ever defensive system you choose you need to be able to deploy it in just a couple seconds.

Even though the 'bear spray' may not have done the job it was supposed to, the gal did something 'right' for she is still alive.

It wasn't known what prompted the attack, troopers said.

Try this...............If you are running and a predator see you, you are behaving exactly as "DINNER".

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post

Try this...............If you are running and a predator see you, you are behaving exactly as "DINNER".
    That's one of a few different possibilities. It could have had a nearby kill it was protecting. It could have had nearby cubs.

Or maybe it had "Jock'itch"...............

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    That's one of a few different possibilities. It could have had a nearby kill it was protecting. It could have had nearby cubs.

Well they were jogging on cottonwood creek trail. A salmon stream so noisy bears cant hear you approach. The partner ran home to get bear spray while her friend was chewed on. I dont think they realized how danerous that area was for bears. Not the best place to jog either.
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post

This.

The only thing inexplicable about these occurrences is peoples incredible inability to comprehend cause and effect.

Running through brushy brown bear country is akin to walking into a police station waving a gun. If you believe otherwise...."You are the weakest link. Goodbye."
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

As stated before in this thread, running or jogging kicks off the predatory instinct in bears and you don't need to be way off in the boonies to come across a bear in Alaska.
    Should have been part of the bear orientation they got in the beginning of the season. It surprises me that most "bear experts" don't mention it in videos and education.
    A lot of folks up here have been mauled while jogging.
    Glad shes OK, welcome to the club sister.

Some years back a jogger on the bike path between Anch. and Eagle River got run down and bited in the arse by a Coyote. The school teacher in Chignik that was jogging and was attacked, killed, and eaten by 5 or 6 wolves.

We have had bicyclists mauled by bears too.
    Here is one that happened right in an Anchorage park:

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/25446868/n.../#.VcONJPlVhBc

And all in all, these maulings are still VERY rare when you consider how many people are out running/cycling/recreating in "bear territory". We need to be careful to keep things in perspective. It is easy to get caught up in "what where they thinking running in bear country" or "that's just asking for trouble" type statements. I'm not saying that people don't need to take proper precautions and be aware of themselves and their surroundings, but we don't need to get freaked out about it at the same time.

This is Alaska after all and there can be issues with out enjoying the great outdoors. Those of us that hike, bike, jog or just plain walking always run the risk of an encounter with the wild life and not so wild life. That is just a fact of life up here. We all do need to be aware of our surroundings, but even those that are vigilant, could have issues.
    I hope that the gal recovers with few issues and can enjoy the out doors again!

People die on the highways all the time and yet we still get in cars and head out on the highway.

Quote Originally Posted by NRick View Post
    People die on the highways all the time and yet we still get in cars and head out on the highway.
    Agreed.

The details of these incidents are worthy of discussion but the threat doesn't justify avoiding outdoor activities at all.

Quote Originally Posted by NRick View Post
    True, but we wear seatbelts and usually take all of the precautions we can to get home safe.
    Simple risk management.
    Same with activities in bear country. Reduce the risk as much as you can, be aware of the risk you are exposed to.
    Myself I love to see bears, it is a reminder that you are in a wild place.
    But I try not to put myself in a bad position with them as much as possible.

The Kenai Peninsula is the bear attack capital of the world and one year there were 5 people chewed up in 4 separate incidents. Hardly a year goes by with out a mauling. Those Skilak bears are not hunted as they are on the sacred refuge, so eventually their behavior and natural fear of man is modified. Between that and the salmon creeks and jogging or walking around noisy brush covered streams we have a recipe for disaster. Surprising bears at close distance is a scary event and one never knows how they will react.

I am very glad to hear the lady will be ok. Pepper spray or a big bore rifle, if an excited bear comes rushing out of the brush at close distance one would be very fortunate to react in time, no matter who you are.

I thought there were hardly any bears on the Kenai? That's what the experts have been saying for some time.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today