Thread: 1/4 plywood on wall?

Default 1/4 plywood on wall?

I know wall covering materials has been discussed, but i'm looking for specific information. Anyhow, our cabin has pink foam board around the exterior (R10). The bedroom, which is an extension off of the cabin, gets cold. Much to the dismay of my 'builder' I put in r19 backed fiberglass insulation- and although we currently don't have any mice, I want to get some wall covering on (just in case!). I plan to screw it on, so that we can take it off for future wiring projects. I *hate* dealing with sheetrock & it's heavy. I like the look of plywood that I've seen other ppl use- but would 1/4 work? Some of the store may have Luann and the one i priced at today has 'utraply'. The studs are 16"oc (mostly) on 2 walls- with the third wall being a bit smaller, because of all of the windows.

Have any of you folks done this with any success? I need to do a couple of walls in the bathroom as well- looked for that plastic paneling, but i can't find any. Need to do a direct to stud application in both rooms.

1/4" will bulge from the insulation. Use 7/16". My cabin is all 7/16" inside. Some textured and mudded to look like Sheetrock, some covered by 3/16" tongue and groove knotty pine.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Getting ready to put up 11/32 AC plywood from Lowes in my addition. Was $25.xx per sheet. Planning on using 1/4x1 staples and fill with putty. Wife wants a light white wash stain finish[not sure what you call it].
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

We put up bead board over fiberglass insulation with studs 2' on center. I don't remember the thickness but it can't be much more than 1/4". There's no bowing caused by the insulation. There is some bowing caused by bowed studs, but that's a different issue.