Thread: minto flats

Default minto flats

hey guys I was wondering how the pike fishing was over at minto flats? I've never been there and was looking for some advice on what to use....flies....lures....etc. Any info would be greatly appreciated

Richie

Richie,

I use to hang out down that way when I was a youngster. My dad use to hunt there and other various places between Livengood and Manley. The jackfish or eltin or Pike if you will bite from my experience with either a spoon or them Rappala's, some kind of floating looking type fish with double treble hooks front and back-works very good and they hit them fast. Don't be surprised in catching them over 30" and don't hang your bare feet over your raft or whatever you're in-you can get awfully surprised at what can take place. Surely you know to rig up with a steel leader.

have fun

grizz,

thanks for the info...and I'll be sure not to hang my toes off the edge ...appreciate all the tips...hey, do you ever fly fish for them? If so what wt rod do you use and what kind of flies?

thanks again,

Richie

Rich, I just got back from a fly out to minto with rick gold from marina air. Awsome trip!! I only flyfished and did extreemly well with a mouse, gurgler, pink wog and dalberg diver. The pike fly and double bunnys also worked well. There were two of us and we probably caught about 50 fish each. My two biggest were 35 inches but I couldnt get both hands around them. I was using my 8wt witch felt about right. I had a floating line and used rio's toothy critters leaders. I would say you could get away with as low as a 6wt but the bigger fish pull pretty hard. The big ones took me to backing and fought pretty hard for 15 minutes.

If you need more details feel free to pm me.

KK

I use my 8wt. If you are using floating line make sure you get a sinking leader. Toothy critters are good because they sink and act as a steel leader. I don't know what the depth is where you're going, but you'll want to be able to sink down to them. See if you can find a mouse pattern I've had good luck on those for pike. Otherwise dalberg divers seem to do the trick. I also tie a piece of string (thread) around the hook and body to keep the weeds off, when they strike it the thread will break. Otherwise dalberg divers seem to do the trick. If it's a cool cloudy day grab a coupel small skidder-pops. I've cought a few topwater with these, and it makes for a good show.

thanks guys...I appreciate all the good info! yall got any pics from yalls trip out there? I'd love to see some pike pictures

Richie

go to page 39 on this forum and look at the pictures on the Minto Pike thread......awsome.