Thread: Needing a rear sight!

Default Needing a rear sight!

Does anyone have a complete rear sight for a tang safety Ruger 77 that they would be willing to part with? 24 years ago I took mine off and put it where I would never loose it. That sight is probably still there I just don't know where there is? During the last three days I have looked in every nook and cranny except for the one where it is.

I would be willing to pay good money for one or trade a couple bricks of 22 shells or somethin. P.M. me if you can help an old forgetful fart!

No takers......should'a figured! Nobody up there want's to part with a rear sight because........only in Alaska are people smart enough to leave the sights on the gun.......of course except Gabe on the "Alaskan Bush People" he missed a deer and blamed it on the scope. Gabe then took the scope off and promptly killed a deer at 100+ with no scope or sights only scope bases on his shootin stick. He's good!

EBay hiss, eBay. It takes some tome to get a good deal but that's the place to find them.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Jist traipse on over to Brownells, and get some kinda Rear Sight.

You don't hafta use the Factory kind, do ya?

SOTN
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Jist traipse on over to Brownells, and get some kinda Rear Sight.

You don't hafta use the Factory kind, do ya?

SOTN
    Smitty, Go to Brownell's and type "Ruger 77 rear sight " into their search window and you will find out that either Brownell's has no options or they are completely ignorant as to how to set up their search engines. They have the absolute worst on line catalog set up that I have ever used. If you use their schematics you'll find that they sell all of the parts that make up the rear sight except for the main sight body. They do have a NECG express sight that will fit if I want to shuck out $154 for just a rear sight and then their online chat person thinks that I will have to replace the soldered on wrap around factory sight and get an NECG front sight to match the rear sight.

How is it mounted?
    SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

The Ruger rear sight base is mounted with two 8x36 flat head allen drive machine screws. The heads are slightly smaller in diameter than what you will find in a hardware store. Then a folding sight almost identical to a 10-22 rear sight is dovetailed into the base and held by a lock screw and gib ring. It all stacks up pretty high, and doesn't cross over easily to any other brand. Plus the hole spacing is fairly unique to the Ruger rifles as well. So the rifle is blued, being a tang safety 77, what caliber is it? The rear bases come in three different contours for the various barrel profiles.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Ohhhhh.

Picture showed simple dovetail.

SOTN
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Ohhhhh.

Picture showed simple dovetail.

SOTN
    Yup Smitty the only one they have a picture of is the one for the 77/22-77/44.

Quote Originally Posted by gunbugs View Post
    The Ruger rear sight base is mounted with two 8x36 flat head allen drive machine screws. The heads are slightly smaller in diameter than what you will find in a hardware store. Then a folding sight almost identical to a 10-22 rear sight is dovetailed into the base and held by a lock screw and gib ring. It all stacks up pretty high, and doesn't cross over easily to any other brand. Plus the hole spacing is fairly unique to the Ruger rifles as well. So the rifle is blued, being a tang safety 77, what caliber is it? The rear bases come in three different contours for the various barrel profiles.
    It's a 358 Winchester. I stopped at 3 good gun shops over the weekend and none of them had a single 77 tang safety Ruger on their rack. Nor did they have any rear sights.

Those rear sights have a tendency to be in the way when mounting a scope with any length to it. I have an older but clean Redfield 1-4x 20mm on mine. The scope is the same vintage or earlier than the gun and it will fit with the sights. I can hit a 10 inch gong every time at 300 yards with it set on 4x and I'll never ask for more out of the old girl than that.

An acquaintance here in town has killed about everything that there is to kill and says that the 358 isn't enough gun and he laughs at my 1-4x scope. He hunts with a 340 Weatherby and his scope goes up to 12x. I can't make him understand that I see absolutely no glory in shooting something a half mile away. My whole reason for the need for the sight now is that my son is putting together a bison hunt in South Dakota. Supposedly the bison free range on over 10,000 acres and that is probably as close to open range as your going to find in the lower 48. I have a desire to hunt them with open sights......or at least have that option. I could use my 1895/45-70 but I'm not as attached to it.

So if it didn't have a rear from the factory, what type of front sight is on the rifle? A Ruger barrel band?
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

[QUOTE=gunbugs;1496716]So if it didn't have a rear from the factory, what type of front sight is on the rifle? A Ruger barrel band?[/QUOT
    Post 1
    I took it off years ago and have no idea what I did with it. I just bought another 358 exactly like mine.....no back sight on it either.

Excuse me, EKC, for asking the obvious question, but have you tried ruger parts dept.? I would be willing to bet they still have what you're looking for in inventory (tho getting their computer system to admit it might be another matter!). This should be the manual/parts list for your rifle(?): https://ruger-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/...77-below79.pdf
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Excuse me, EKC, for asking the obvious question, but have you tried ruger parts dept.? I would be willing to bet they still have what you're looking for in inventory (tho getting their computer system to admit it might be another matter!). This should be the manual/parts list for your rifle(?): https://ruger-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/...77-below79.pdf
    Yup tried that and all was going well until I said part d-60 which has a notation of the sight base being caliber specific. I told the girl(who sounded all of 12) that the cartridge was a 358 Winchester and she told me that the 358's did not come with sights. I said your last run of them like 3-4 years ago did not have sights but the carbine version made in the late 70's early 80's did have sights and if I weren't a jackass I'd still have mine. I at least humored her but got no closer to getting sights. I think maybe I should try that avenue again and hope to talk to someone else......see if I get the same answer.

None on ebay either Andy! least wise not for the last several days.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    I think maybe I should try that avenue again and hope to talk to someone else......see if I get the same answer.
    It recently took me 7 or 8 attempts over the course of several days to get a particular hammer for a particular revolver model which hasn't been made for a few years. Glad I didn't give up. Ultimately, it turned out that they had about 100 in stock, but getting somebody capable of prying that information out of the computer was a trial. Their computer/inventory system seems to be a junk show, and none of the customer service kids have any historical institutional knowledge; their only working frame of reference is current models. (I provided them the correct part number, and they swore the part didn't exist; was long obsolete; was out of stock; wouldn't fit the revolver in question. Ultimately, we found about 100 of them...hidden under the EXACT part number I started with). Don't give up too easily! You might try starting with the serial number of the rifle (and withhold any other info so they don't leap to assumptions), then the part number....

Their parts are reasonably priced.... getting to them is challenging tho.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Ya got to watch eBay like a hawk to get them but they are there and sell $75 to $100.

I prefer the Remington 700 take-offs myself, also eBay but you will need a drill and tap to use them.

Or for an almost stock look there is this, I don't know the hole spacing so likely be drilling.
    http://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/G...872&ST=Classic Adjustable 2 Screw Rear Sight#.VcvPzsuFO70
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona