Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $1000 Binoculars

Default $1000 Binoculars

I have a set of Pentax binos that have served me well. I am contemplating upgrading the binoculars and would like to stick to a 1000 budget. people keep telling me Vortex, but i have been unimpressed with them personally. Does anyone have atuaul field usage of the CL series Swarovski? what are your thoughts? or perhaps another brand in the same thousand dollar price range.
    Thanks!
    its better to be silent and thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt...

...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Loving my $1000 Ziess.

Me also.........Loving my $699.00 Ziess 10X40 B

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...-Binocular-699

I checked out the Zeiss Terra HD's at Cabelas, they are very nice and only around $500. Or the Cableas Euro Binos for closer to $1000.

Zeiss 10X42 HD Conquests are pretty close to that and are exceptional binoculars.

A little bit of money saved up might result in Leica Trinovids 10X42s. They are very exceptional binos.

I have a pair of 8X30 CL Swaros that I have dedicated for moose hunting/stand hunting and they are very good. They gather light better than my Swaro 10X25Bs but are still very compact and provide an excellent image.

Vortex Razor APOs 10X42 Razors are also good binoculars.

Several years ago I was down in WV and picked up a pair of Swaro SLC 10x42's in the bargain cave at Cabela's for $850. They were pretty much brand new and in perfect condition. I have since sold them, but just to show, good deals can be had if your patient and keep an eye out. There's also CL and Ebay for the occasional good deal.

What Troutbum stated is true! I got my Swaro SLC binos from a forum member for 1/2 that price and they are awesome. I have not looked through the Vortex, but I have heard from buddies that the clarity varies greatly based on the series as some is much higher quality than the cheapest line.

Quote Originally Posted by kaboku68 View Post
    Zeiss 10X42 HD Conquests
    I can vouch for these.. great glass for the $
    I think about hunting when I wake up in the morning. I think about it all day. And I think about it at night. The only time I don't think about it is when I'm doing it. ~credit to Carl Yastrzemski~

Carlak, you never stated what series of Pentax binc you have...are they SP's?, ED's?
    If so, the vortex are really no better and may be a step down.

Pentax has the most underated glass in the business. I currently have all of the alphas and I also have various Pentaxs as well. Unless you opt for Swaro Hd (or Swarovision) glass, Zeiss Victory or Leica HD, you are stepping down. You have great glass if you own SP or ED pentax. Best bang for the buck out there.
    Proud to be an American!

Think Zeiss and never go back

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Outfitters
    Unit 23. Drop Camps and Float Hunts

You can find used SLC's on ebay for $1k

Wow 1,000 I just got back from a caribou hunt with $150 binos and couldn't be happier...

That is what I was thinking, mine cost about 50.00 and most every year I get a moose and seem to always get my caribou. Most times I just use my riffle scope just seems easier.

A few years ago I herd great reviews on binoculars here about Minox. I contacted a vendor here and couldn't be happier with them.
    german glass. Clear view and durable. Might not be comparable to these sworo's but I believe they were $500 or so.

I have been outfitting hunts in the Arctic for years and back in the early days I felt the quality of my glass was no big deal. I would see a group of bou 3-4 miles away and make a decision to make a move on them based on the direction they were moving period. Back in 2005 I was hunting with a guy from Georiga and we had 3 good looking groups of caribou to choose from and I had my $200 binos and made the comment that the 2nd group looked like there are some bulls in the back while my partner using his Zeiss said the 1st group had some really choice bulls and he started counting tines and shovels. I grabbed his Zeiss and realized that I was choosing to move on a group that had only Jr. bulls in it and was going to pass on the Trophy Bulls all because I was too cheap to understand what quality glass could do for my hunting.

Short end to the story is we both took 2 huge bulls after 2-3 hours of hard work and without the ability to really see what was out there we would have been stuck with 3 year olds. Another benefit is eye fataigue. Good glass makes your eyes less strained at the end of the day and you have soo much better low light visibility.

I have a pair of Zeiss Classic Binos and 2 Zeiss rifle scopes as well. money well spent!

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Outfitters
    Booking 2016 Moose and Caribou hunts
    Unit 23-Kotzebue
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gulkana Rafting View Post
    Another benefit is eye fataigue. Good glass makes your eyes less strained at the end of the day and you have soo much better low light visibility.
    Those two items right there are why I bought nicer binos.

Ya, good glass helps. I was glassing goats with a friend 2 winters ago, she had Swaro's and I had my Vortex DB's. From the road about a mile away, I could see teh goats and barley make out the horns, she could practically see the age rings
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Quote Originally Posted by kevin476 View Post
    Wow 1,000 I just got back from a caribou hunt with $150 binos and couldn't be happier...
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter1951 View Post
    That is what I was thinking, mine cost about 50.00 and most every year I get a moose and seem to always get my caribou. Most times I just use my riffle scope just seems easier.
    I would have to ask both of you if either one of you have looked through your glasses for 8 or more hours a day, day after day, for many days in a row? I mean basically walking around with them like they are permanently attached to your head? I doubt it. It's one thing to pull out your glasses and find an animal right away that you think is good enough to kill, but it's totally another matter to have to search for animals that aren't there, or for those that meet trophy qualifications. Eye fatigue is a very real occurrence, and after a period of time with cheap glass you can pretty much count on it. Often times leading to a pretty good headache. Imo there is NO substitute for quality glass whenever there is a need to look through them for an extended amount of time, or for their light gathering abilities. Believe me, you won't find that in a $50 pair of binos.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    I would have to ask both of you if either one of you have looked through your glasses for 8 or more hours a day, day after day, for many days in a row? I mean basically walking around with them like they are permanently attached to your head? I doubt it. It's one thing to pull out your glasses and find an animal right away that you think is good enough to kill, but it's totally another matter to have to search for animals that aren't there, or for those that meet trophy qualifications. Eye fatigue is a very real occurrence, and after a period of time with cheap glass you can pretty much count on it. Often times leading to a pretty good headache. Imo there is NO substitute for quality glass whenever there is a need to look through them for an extended amount of time, or for their light gathering abilities. Believe me, you won't find that in a $50 pair of binos.
    Easy 4mer, somebody's gotta keep Simmons in business.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast