Thread: Scott 852

Default Scott 852

I was just checking to see if anyone on here or anyone lurking has an 852. I'm considering buying one for my next boat project and would like to check one out in person and possibly take a spin with it. I know this is a long shot because I've only ever seen one in a boat in Alaska getting towed down the hwy but if ya got one and it isn't to much trouble I'd like to see it.

Thanks

Soooo, what's the project?
    ~Alaska born and raised~ •'04 Duckworth, 5.7 w/ 3-stg. •High side Lowe, '13 Yami 25 prop+Merc 40/30 jet
    •Ranger 6x •CAT atv w/ 27" rubber •A very large moose buggy •M7 153" "Earned, NOT given"

21 foot shallow water hull, 6.0l and Scott jet hopefully. Trying to stay away from a 212, I just don't think it's going to like all the grass, sticks, rocks and junk I'm going to pump through it.

Come on Dan, everyone knows the best pump is black and has Merc on the bucket!

I think I have only seen two blue pumps up here, both on big rivers.
    Arnt they a pressure pump VS a volume pump and if i rememeber correctly from something i read (and i could be wrong) they are not as friendly to pump crap through like the hami or kodiak?
    Interesting project, that for dang sure!
    Mike

The Scott will pump rocks and sticks like mad. If you plan on keeping the revs down around 4400 and speeds below 60 the 212 would be a good choice, but higher revs, higher speeds and non standard engine and the Scott is the way to go, much more tunable. I have seen a 852 drive through a mess of floating sticks and crap that kept 212s from getting out of the launch, they are a 2 stage axial just like a hami/kodiak, not a pressure like a berkley/American turbine.

They do require more maintaining and a bit of tuning to dial in to your combo, and make sure you put a hydraulic reverse on it.

hydraulic reverse is standard on the 852. Just looking for more thrust out of a bigger engine and load capabilities. Not needing it to go over 60 mph. But having a jet that doesn't get fouled up is key and very valuable to me, thats why i would rather have an 852 over a 212.

Plus, you can rev them up to 6900 rpm's so they are very handy if you ever engine swap to the RPM loving LS motors. Very versatile

Hydraulic reverse did not used to be standard, it is now because manual reverse sucked with our short throw American style shifters. Kiwi shifters have more leverage and a longer throw. I love the 852, the only reason I said anything about the 212 is the rpm range and hp from a stock 6.0 suits them well for less money and maintenance. I haven't run a 852 with less than 480hp, and yes, they shine @ higher rpm, most ls motors start to come on strong around 5200 and I have run one that we settled on 5700rpm @ wot. I wouldn't spin an ls to just under 7000 in a recreational marine environment unless you dumped a lot of $$$$$ into it.

The 852 has beefy impellers and will run with more than half the grate blocked with rocks, no one bothers with a stomp grate in nz with a scott pump or a 212 for that matter but thier boats are lifhter and smaller. Impeller selection and nozzle inserts make it possible to tuene the pump to suit your needs and konrad is a great guy to deal with.

Yep that's what I've heard, got Scott impellers in my 3 stage right now and I don't want to give up that durability and being able to get on step with 150 rocks in the grate

There's a RMX running around with a Scott jet was in the shop last year due to leaking around the transom suction housing. Built solid but the design they use to seal the suction housing to the transom quite frankly leaves much to be desired. Cutlass sleeves if I recall were very expensive.

Everytime i get on here, i learn something new! Thank you!

Transom seal is like an old berkley, lots of sikaflex, a couple of bolts are easier to get with a helper, but it is simple and effective. As far as the sleves, what parts from nz are cheap?

Ya, everything about them screams expensive