Thread: Time to start gearing up, for food highly recommend Adventure Appetites

Default Time to start gearing up, for food highly recommend Adventure Appetites

I found out about these folks last year and have been amazed at the quality of the food. Its gourmet freeze dried food from a local shop. They are on 76th near King St. Their meals are a little more than mountain house but worth every penny. The two person meals will really feed two people with some to spare. I am trying out the new one person sized meals for my upcoming caribou trip. You can order online or save shipping and walk in and buy them in person. Just go and try one see what you think. My favorite is the Chicken carbonara.

No I don't work for them and not getting a kick back for anyone that comes in. Won't do you any good to mention my name. Just like to support a good local business.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by alaskariverguy View Post
    I found out about these folks last year and have been amazed at the quality of the food. Its gourmet freeze dried food from a local shop. They are on 76th near King St. Their meals are a little more than mountain house but worth every penny. The two person meals will really feed two people with some to spare. I am trying out the new one person sized meals for my upcoming caribou trip. You can order online or save shipping and walk in and buy them in person. Just go and try one see what you think. My favorite is the Chicken carbonara.

No I don't work for them and not getting a kick back for anyone that comes in. Won't do you any good to mention my name. Just like to support a good local business.

Steve
    Thanks for the heads up. I will check them out. ***

***Edit*** I checked out there site. I like the selection. Any idea if a jet boil would work on these? That's what I use, and I would hate to have to buy something different.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
    Any idea if a jet boil would work on these? That's what I use, and I would hate to have to buy something different.
    These appear to be dehydrated meals. Each one has a slightly different "recipe" for it. Some need to be rewetted and cooked, others need to be soaked in boiling water. Others are cooked in a pot by boiling for a few minutes. You can use a jet boil, but you will be washing the pot all the time. You will need more fuel and more water in order to use these meals.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    These appear to be dehydrated meals. Each one has a slightly different "recipe" for it. Some need to be rewetted and cooked, others need to be soaked in boiling water. Others are cooked in a pot by boiling for a few minutes. You can use a jet boil, but you will be washing the pot all the time. You will need more fuel and more water in order to use these meals.
    That's what I was afraid of.

http://www.heatherschoice.com/

This is another local option for back country foods. However, its geared towards the ancestral health crowd (paleo). Scant on the carbs which some folks can't handle. Not much for chemicals in them. It is set up for just adding boiling water, though. She runs out of inventory often and has to back order stuff.

Not a local outfit but Hawk Vittles has replaced Mountain House for me.

Does anybody have a good line on good freeze dried beans? Costco had some freeze dried, sprouted beans a couple years ago, and I mixed that with minute rice, a bullian cube and chilli powder, which made great backpacking dinners for about a buck a meal. I can't find freeze dried beans anymore (without ordering directly from Mt. House at exorbitant prices) and the bean flakes that you can buy result in rice and bean mush.

Dan, have you checked the Thrive section at the Natural Pantry? They have a large selection of freeze dried and dehyrdated canned foods for building your own meals.

Default Adventure Appetites

I've been wanting to give Adventure Appetites a try for some time now, and we did so on this last moose hunt. We tried their Mak and Cheese, their Carbonara Pasta, and the Neacola Granola. Everything was really good; just like something you would cook at home, but with a gourmet touch. None of them were freeze dried, and they required cooking of noodles and such. A little more prep time, but they were self-contained (even including the olive oil), and absolutely delicious. I would do it again in a heartbeat. Savory and delicious!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    I tried these on my hunt this fall. Time to try Adventure Appetites.
    -At what point does "against all enemies foreign and domestic" apply to politicians?

Quote Originally Posted by HikerDan View Post
    Does anybody have a good line on good freeze dried beans? Costco had some freeze dried, sprouted beans a couple years ago, and I mixed that with minute rice, a bullian cube and chilli powder, which made great backpacking dinners for about a buck a meal. I can't find freeze dried beans anymore (without ordering directly from Mt. House at exorbitant prices) and the bean flakes that you can buy result in rice and bean mush.
    Same as AK Ray said about Thrive at Natural Pantry. I have been stockpiling for next season. Also, you can get smaller pouches online from them as well.