Thread: Out of my element in AK !!! Please help!

Default Out of my element in AK !!! Please help!

A few men and women from our church are coming to Moose Pass on a
    mission trip for a few day's during July.A couple of buddies and myself
    would like to do a little shoreline fishing while there.We do not know the
    area,nor any of the techniques. We fish in the south but are completely
    out of our element in AK.Any info on lures,line sizes,tackle or places in the Moose Pass area would be greatly appreciated.We are not killing any fish,
    we would just like to catch one or two.
    Thanks in advance for any help,
    Dennis

Default Moose Pass

Ptarmigan creek/lake, Vagt lake, Carter/Crescent lake.... dry flies or small spinners in the lakes, nymphs or beads in the flowing waters.

Good luck and thank you for your service.

get a halibut charter in seward
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

For shore line fishing I would suggest bait casting rod/reel or spinning gear that could handle 20-25# test. Stop by the beach and see what the successful fishermen are using and pick up the same thing at the tackle shop. Usually seems like large Pixies and Tee spoons are the most productive although if the fish are really thick then a snagging hook will work.

Halibut charters are 150-200 bucks per person so not sure if that fits within your budget. There is also some red salmon and trout fishing in the area but I am not sure exactly where.....one of the folks you are working with will most likely loan you gear and give you the local skinney. Good Luck!!

Lots of choices right in your backyard. Upper and Lower Trail Lakes have Dollies, Rainbows and Lakers. Anyone of the lake access points will get you fish. Fish for rainbows with Balls of Fire eggs, suspended from a bobber or cast spinners. Dollies and lakers are easily caught on the bottom, using roe or cut bait. The old road bridge next to the fish hatchery is good, all three railroad trestles are good and the creek leading between the two lakes is excellent. The point where the boat launch is, is excellent for rainbows at night. Nice place to have a bonfire and fish the lazy mans way. You will be able to get in some good fishing on coffee breaks or lunch. Early morning and late evening is best though. No salmon fishing in the immediate area. If one of the locals you are working with has a plane, they could take you to Bench Lake, only 5 minutes away. Fantastic Grayling fishing there. You could also hike to Carter or Cresent Lakes. 5 minute drive and another short hike to the lakes. Top fishing at both locations and a good chance of seeing sheep, bears and moose. There will be plenty of locals that will be able to assist when you get there.

Thanks for all your help guy's
    Planning to bring a small amount of tackle and a couple of reels,probably pickup an inexpensive rod or two on the way out to Moose Pass. This gives me something to go on,as I said ,I did'nt know where to start and to be honest did'nt really know what fish were available.I live on the TN/KY
    border and we have mainly Bass,crappie,panfish etc. although I've not met a fish yet that I did'nt like.Don't get a chance often to fish for the coldwater fish.Probably only have a couple of afternoon's to fish,mainly be spending time trying to help a few folk out.
    Thank's again,
    Dennis

The key question is... are you going to be renting a car in Anchorage?

Second question .... do you have "some" time to get away?

You do have a lot of good trout fishing in the back yard there. Carefully with the bait (check regs).

If you have a rental car, and a day or at least several hours to burn, your back yard gets a lot bigger!

Before leaving Anchorage, stop in at B&J and ask about your options.