Thread: Cod Holes in Kodiak

Default Cod Holes in Kodiak

So I need help finding fishing holes in Kodiak, my wife and I got a babysitter are going fishing for our anniversary! I know no one will offer their halibut honey holes and probably not their rockfish holes. In a separate thread a may ask guidance on how to find my own (e.g. 'look for structure'). But maybe, just maybe, someone can offer GPS coordinates of a good cod fishing hole by PM? Cod aren't the most popular, so I thought, some generous soul might feel bad for my wife sitting most of the summer out to take care of our infant that we don't feel comfortable taking on the 14' zodiac... I can pay in the form of a 6 pack if we do well.

Thanks!

This thread has halibut location answers for you. http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...Kodiak+halibut

If you don't get any answers...try the search function. Kodiak + halibut or rockfish or cod...it pulled that above thread right up.
    good luck on your trip.

Steve

Steve, thanks for the help. That guy made a great video of his trip last year!

This will be my second summer fishing Kodiak. I commonly get advice like the thread you posted "fish near woody or long island", I guess I need a little more help than that. That area, for example, is roughly 5 miles by 5 miles - 25 square miles - 16000 acres. I have fished many times in that area trying to find my own holes through brute force and come home with a goose egg (aside from sculpin). I know no-one should want to immortalize their exact GPS coordinates by posting in the thread, but I thought I might get a PM.

I knew chances were slim, but you don't know if you don't ask, right?

Cod are pretty widely scattered this time of year, and they're moving. If your GPS includes a fish finder, you won't have any trouble at all zeroing in on them, mostly down around 100' and deeper now. Trouble with GPS coordinates, the fish move from day to day, and you'll be landing goose eggs if you fish only with your GPS.

Wish I could have given you something solid but I've only fished Icy Straits and Prince of Wales Island in all my AK trips. But were I to fish there and be told to fish Woody, this is where I would try. Putting a scent trail down would be my strongest medicine for catching fish in an unknown area after locating some fishy looking bottom terrain. These may be too well known and hit hard frequently, though.
    Tight lines,
    Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks! Agreed and I do have a little Hummingbird that works great for the one flawless rockfish hole I know about, but I haven't found a place where the fish finder lights up with cod. I'll keep trying.

Steve,

Thanks, this is good direction. I'll give it a try. I tried some bait bombs, paper bags full of fish scraps lowered to the bottom, this weekend. I didn't have immediate success but will try again where you outlined.

Quote Originally Posted by carolinaboy View Post
    Wish I could have given you something solid but I've only fished Icy Straits and Prince of Wales Island in all my AK trips. But were I to fish there and be told to fish Woody, this is where I would try. Putting a scent trail down would be my strongest medicine for catching fish in an unknown area after locating some fishy looking bottom terrain. These may be too well known and hit hard frequently, though.
    Tight lines,
    Steve
    I fish those spots regularly on a fly, and they don't get as much pressure as you'd think. Halibut aren't what they used to be here, so people tend to go far and wide in search of the big ones and a lot of closer water gets overlooked.

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiakfly View Post
    I fish those spots regularly on a fly, and they don't get as much pressure as you'd think. Halibut aren't what they used to be here, so people tend to go far and wide in search of the big ones and a lot of closer water gets overlooked.
    Good tip on fishing close, thanks.

You fish bottom fish with a fly? And a fly pole? How does that work?

Chris, the points off of Pshak bay 80-120fow. Should be cod there and halibut too.
    Life's to short for an ugly boat

Blaze N Abel Charters
    Kodiak, AK
    www.alaska-fish.com
    https://www.facebook.com/BlazeNAbelCharters/?fref=ts

Quote Originally Posted by Abel View Post
    Chris, the points off of Pshak bay 80-120fow. Should be cod there and halibut too.
    Thanks for the help John, I was hoping you might offer some.

Quote Originally Posted by Sib View Post
    Good tip on fishing close, thanks.

You fish bottom fish with a fly? And a fly pole? How does that work?
    Yessir. 100% fly gear and presentation. Sinking fly line, unweighted fly, no jigs, no scent, non-vertical presentation. Halibut are actually easier than you'd think!