Thread: Trailer to Tow Vehicle Connection

Default Trailer to Tow Vehicle Connection

All the rigs at work used a round connector plug so that is what I used when I wired my trailer. Even with my low usage, I've had to replace it once already due to corrosion . Again, it is getting difficult to get a good connection. Once I get it jiggled around so it works, it seems to stay put, as I drive with my lights on and never see my marker lights flicker. There is also a flat plug receptacle next to the round one. I was wondering if they might be a better connection...as in less slop. What kind of connection do you guys use/prefer?

The 4-pin plug is only running lights and brake/turn signals. No aux power or brakes.

Are you using any dielectric grease on your connections.?

Quote Originally Posted by ak_cowboy View Post
    The 4-pin plug is only running lights and brake/turn signals. No aux power or brakes.

Are you using any dielectric grease on your connections.?
    I don't have brakes on my trailer so maybe the flat plug would work. Glad you mentioned dielectric grease. That is how I got them to work, but I used it sparingly. Should I pack it in there thick?

Dielectric grease is your best friend when it comes to trailer pigtails. Pack the female ends full at least a couple times a year. And yes, I prefer using the 7 pin round plugs even on my trailers that really only call for a 4 flat. Just keep them well lubed.

We run both round RV plugs on our pickup truck trailers, and round semi trailer plugs on our semis. Like said above, we pack them with dielectric grease regularly.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Thanks, guys. Sounds like I just didn't use enough d. grease.