Thread: Big Boss fix for A-arm bolt

Default Big Boss fix for A-arm bolt

Has anyone out there installed the "fix kit" from Hatcher Pass Polaris on their Big Bosses? How are they holding up? I called the shop and they said they haven't heard of any breaking since they put it on. Just curious if anyone has heard anything else.

Moosehunter83, this year before season we did the weld job that was suppose to fix the breaking bolt issue. So heading into the woods this year I had 2 spare bolts just in case. Hahah well not even 20 miles later I'm out of bolts and stopped the hunt to go to Fairbanks to buy more, at this time I didn't know there was a fix it kit. So I buy 5 bolts at a $130 total and back in the woods I go, and end up breaking 2 more bolts. Now this whole time I was able to catch the bolts before any real damage was done until I break another and it bends the A arm before I catch it. So take off the tire and now I have a 6x5. On the way home I'm deciding to get rid of this machine and decide to stop at the Willow Polaris shop and they tell us about the fix it kit. Well I picked up 4 "fix it kits" and 2 A arms ( one side bent really bad and the other side from last year and not real bad but figured to replace it anyway). Install the 2 new a arms and all 4 fix it kits but we have yet to put any miles on the machine since the fix other that up and down the road.

So my question is also has any one broken any of the new "fix it bolts"? Cause if so I might have a Polaris 6x6 for sale, cause this breaking 5 bolts in less that 50-75 miles is a joke. Total this machine has broken 8-9 bolts. Pretty bad when you loose count.

Default Big Boss fix for A-arm bolt

Sold mine for same reason. Didn't break that many but enough that I could never trust it again. Shame cause I really liked the way it rode

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have no feedback on this fix it kit from HP, not even sure what they have changed to make the claim. I will say I'm glad I took the steps I did on mine though, I have 3 hunting seasons total on it now at about 450 miles with 0 issues to date.first year hauled out a 55" with gear, last year a 61" and this year a 63". Worked her real hard every year and not a broken bolt or stress crack anywhere in the frame or dog bone braces.
    I wouldn't want to weld the dog bone braces to the frame tabs myself. It was a very small investment to have Greer Tank water jet me new ones out of 1/4" t1 steel and to take it upon myself to beef up all the a-arm tabs with 1/4" t1 welded in as well. The custom 1/2" bolts out of oil rolled stock would be the most spendy part but reading and hearing story after story of these problems blowing a guys hunt I'm so glad I took the time to just remedy it from the get go on my 13' Boss.
    BTW... not only did I go up 2 sizes from the wimpy joke of the stock 3/8" bolt but a 1/2" bolt of oil rolled stock is approximately 5 times stronger than a grade 8 of the same size, which is why I beefed up my frame to a-arm tabs and braces....trying to take care of the next weakest link. To clarify I also had custom bushings spun from cold rolled stock to accept the bigger bolts. It's all here on an old post if doing some of the same interests you. I absolutely love my Big Boss for what I use it for.

Installed all 4 kits at 11 miles before having any issues. Couple hundred miles this season and so far so good. Loaded heavy on the rig and dragging an anchor of a trailer on the first trip was a good test.

The only thing changed are the plastic bushings and rod. So you only really need to buy those parts instead of the whole kit with bolt, nut, and washers.

So, I also have the fix kit on all four bolts now. Last year (2014) I only put the kit on the middle set because that is where I had been having all the problems. Wouldn't you know it, I broke one of the rear ones. First time that had happened to me. I have broken four all together, three middles and one rear, all out in the middle of nowhere of course. This year I had the kit on all four and put about 80 hard miles on them without one issue. I'm really hoping the fix kit is the key.

Thanks for the heads up Moosehunter83, this gives me a little piece of mind. Any one else have any issues with the new bolts?

I have had zero issues on my 2012 Big Boss. Hauled lots of 600lb loads and trailers over the biggest ******heads. I have broken zero bolts, but I still had HP put in the "kit" for my center axles.

So since I've broken zero, even when stock, this comment is probably worthless, but I still wanted the extra peace of mind from the updated bushings anyways.

Friend of mine installed the new kits on his, first ride out broke a middle one.

Not really what I wanted to hear.