Thread: SOS. Pilot bailed

Default SOS. Pilot bailed

Well here's to a shot in the dark if you've ever heard of one.

So I drew a moose tag, DM772. I had a buddy who I thought was quite reliable. He offered to fly me and a buddy in for this hunt in his cub. Long story short, I hadn't know the guy for long and put too much faith in the fact that I thought the stars where finally aligning for me. He bailed. So here I am holding a tag I'm not sure, right now, I'll ever get a chance at punching.

Y'all know as well as I do that most services are booked solid. I have however gotten on the horn and either left messages or spoken with Golden Eagle and Mount Hayes flight services. No dice. I'm not sure of any others in the Delta areas I give a ring. Or if any of you might happen to know a guy who knows a guy.

No I'm not the guy who's gonna jump on a plane with anybody. The pilots gotta be reputable. But I am indeed desperate. I have access to a few wheelers or a ranger and could look at paying someone to ferry us across the Tanana. But I'd rather not be a part of the big fiasco of trying to get back away from everyone and their mother.

I had all of the logistics planned out until now....I imagine I'll get some interesting responses on this one.

Any thoughts?

Can't shoot 'em where they ain't.

Check with Lance Williams in Cantwell (907-768-1137). I worked with him on the Alaska Peninsula and in the Alaska Range. Great guy and good pilot. Has a Piper PA-18 that's designed for remote "off strip" work. Part 135 certified.

Thanks maverick!! Will do.

Ya can't kill 'em on the couch.
    Last edited by Brian M; 08-02-2015 at 12:33.

Also consider checking with Zack Knaebel at Tok Air Service to see if he has availability and if he'll fly over there. It's probably a long shot but you never know. He's great guy and great pilot - I flew with him last year and am flying again with him this year.