Thread: POW silvers

Default POW silvers

We are heading up to Thorne Bay the end of August, looking for silvers and a halibut or two. It doesn't seem like there are many, or any! posts about that area. The folks at the place we are staying said it has been hit or miss so far this season, with the rivers low then blown out but also some fish stacked up in the salt. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions on what we might expect? We fished out of Craig a few years ago on a fully guided trip, but this is our first time to the inside and it is a do-it-yourself trip. Boat rented and fly rods packed, so we will be ready for fresh or salt. We would also love to find some trout for our 5 weights if that is an option. Thanks!

Having someone who is "eyes on" regarding the fishing conditions is your best intel. I've been fishing POW silvers and other species the last 16 consecutive years. Doesn't make me any kind of expert but I do keep close contact with people who are there. Our timing has usually been late September but the fish runs have been good from August to October. With the road system on the island you have so many options it's fairly easy to find fish.

AK fish and game has never, IMO, put much focus on their site about reporting POW fishing. Which is fine with me...POW fishing is so underrated and a well ignored locale...just the way we like it. Kings galore, Silvers galore, bottom fish out the wazoo.

this is the most recent July 20...and generic at best. http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/sf/Fishin...il&area_key=32

I can say with confidence that i will be bringing home 100+#'s of fish from my week up there.
    Best of luck in your trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus1 View Post
    We are heading up to Thorne Bay the end of August, looking for silvers and a halibut or two. It doesn't seem like there are many, or any! posts about that area. The folks at the place we are staying said it has been hit or miss so far this season, with the rivers low then blown out but also some fish stacked up in the salt. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions on what we might expect? We fished out of Craig a few years ago on a fully guided trip, but this is our first time to the inside and it is a do-it-yourself trip. Boat rented and fly rods packed, so we will be ready for fresh or salt. We would also love to find some trout for our 5 weights if that is an option. Thanks!
    Your post accurately describes what to expect: "the rivers low then blown out but also some fish stacked up in the salt". You won't know what to expect in any detail until the day, maybe two, before you go fishing. You are going at a time when the fishing is likely to be good. Get there, ask the folks in the tackle shop what has been going on - catching, weather, water level, etc - and head out. The island is small enough so it is easy to try several rivers in one day. I haven't fished Thorne Bay, but when I do my first halibut fishing will be jigging on smooth bottom near rockpiles. My go to jig for exploring a new area is a medium to large size PT Wilson dart. They will catch salmon, halibut, and rockfish, and lings. My first fishing in Thorne Bay will also include putting out some pots for Dungeness crab.

Thanks for the replies. We are pretty excited for this trip, but are trying to keep our expectations in line. I really like the DYI aspect of this one, even if it means fewer fish than going the guided route. Nothing against guides - I have used them a lot and most are great. But there is something about figuring it out yourself.

This link is very handy. http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineVie...werTable.shtml

chart # 17423 is for Thorne Bay...not much detail but it is good for getting your bearings beforehand.

Also, the Navionics app is AMAZING. Shows in topo lines all the contours and humps, drop offs, etc. That and your boat's sonar/fishfinder are going to be your best bet on locating the most promising fishing spots.

Halibut have a unique 'signature' on your fish finder. Not hard to discern once you know what you're looking at.

5 weight for trout .... there is good trout fishing in some hike into lakes.

For the Salmon streams you might want more than a 5 wt.

Thanks, guys. I have fly rods from 5-8 so I think I will bring a variety. Any fly suggestions for the lakes? Pink or purple egg sucking leeches for the silvers?

Both of those colors plus black ESL's with an orange or pink egg. Another very effective fly, doh! I've just forgotten the name, ..anyway it looks like a krill pattern ...very minimal. Longish shanked hook, dumbbell eyes, just a few strands of flashabou. Red thread. Something like that.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by carolinaboy View Post
    This link is very handy. http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineVie...werTable.shtml

chart # 17423 is for Thorne Bay...not much detail but it is good for getting your bearings beforehand.

Also, the Navionics app is AMAZING. Shows in topo lines all the contours and humps, drop offs, etc. That and your boat's sonar/fishfinder are going to be your best bet on locating the most promising fishing spots.

Halibut have a unique 'signature' on your fish finder. Not hard to discern once you know what you're looking at.
    So, what do halibut look like on a fish finder. Would be nice to know what to look for.
    thanks
    Jim