Thread: Traveling to Homer need advice

South Carolina

Default Traveling to Homer need advice

We will be traveling from Tega Cay SC to Homer. We will be in Homer Aug. 23 till Sept 6. We (3 adults) will be staying in Homer and plan on fishing for Silvers,Halibut,and whatever else is hitting. Two of us have been to Alaska before but not during this time frame or fished for silvers. We plan on traveling around the Kenai so we are open to fishing anywhere. We will be bringing waders and spinning rods. I would like to hire a guide early on to show us the technique for silver fishing. We also will doing at least one guided halibut trip. I have read about silver fishing from the shore in Seward and would like to try that also.

What type and weight of line should I put on the reels?
    Hows the fishing in the Anchor River or somewhere close to Homer during our time frame?
    Any lures I should bring from home? I am close to lots of large fishing/sporting goods stores?
    Any recommendation on a guide to show us the spots and techniques for silver fishing?
    Any recommendation on a Halibut guide?
    I enjoy fishing some of the smaller lakes also any advice on which ones?
    One of the three is my wife who has not been to AK before I would like to do some sight seeing with her. Any advice on that?
    Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Portland, ME

Take the rainbow tours boat to Seldovia, great trip and very reasonable price. For halibut look at brooks alaskan adventures, have also heard good things about falcon charters. If you were looking for a combo trip call either manns charters or tall tales charters. Good luck, Homer is beautiful, heading up on the 20th myself. Hopefully the fishing hole on the spit is full of silvers! The tackle shop on the spit will have all the tackle you'll need. I use 15-20lb test mono. Good luck!