Thread: Zaikof Bay on Montague questions

Default Zaikof Bay on Montague questions

If the weather holds out its looking like I'll be headed out on Friday the 7th to Montague. I am looking at the zaikof Bay area but never been there. I'm looking for information on anchoage in the bay that would be suitable for leaving a boat for a day or two. Looking at Google Earth it looks like there is a small cove up there on the southern side that appears to be really protected. The plan is to head up and stay the night on top unless the hike ends up being shorter than I'm expecting. Does anyone have any information they would share with that Bay.
    Plan b is to head to port Chalmers. If anyone is willing a pm would be great.
    Thanks
    Tony

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

You are correct. half way in on the southern shore is a little fish hook bay. Pretty nice little spot. NOW THE WARNING!!! I was there three weeks ago and a large brown bear sow with two dark little cubs was working the shoreline for salmon. There is a little creek on the Eastern end of the little bay and she was working that, and the shoreline.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

The one farther in the bay is great, I spent a couple days last November tucked up in there. Didn't see any bears or deer.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    You are correct. half way in on the southern shore is a little fish hook bay. Pretty nice little spot. NOW THE WARNING!!! I was there three weeks ago and a large brown bear sow with two dark little cubs was working the shoreline for salmon. There is a little creek on the Eastern end of the little bay and she was working that, and the shoreline.
    What kind of salmon are in that Creek? Didn't know there were salmon streams on the island

I'm pretty sure that fishhook bay goes totally dry at low water.
    And a warning on the wind, if it picks up when you're on the mountain coming out of the NW it can funnel down low and blow hard on the water... Came to a lookout on our way up a few years ago and said to my buddy "hey there's the boat"..... Took me a second to realize that wasn't where we left it, made a quick decent and got to it, but then it got really windy that night. One of the worst nights I've ever spent on the water. Couldn't hold anchor anywhere in the bay and ended up jogging in it most of the night.
    Take heavy tackle, or add a sentinel to your chain just for peace of mind. It can whip up quick!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would almost recommend looking at your plan B. Zaikoff is nice but as mentioned already, can be nasty. We stayed in the anchorage you mentioned for a few nights last spring. Pretty good for the most part, did have the wind whipping pretty good on us coming right down the mountain one night though. Swung back and forth on the anchor pretty hard all night. Never broke anchor but we were moving a lot. Plus if it blows up from the East you will be really exposed there. Definitely consult the cruising guide for more info and good anchorages!

Rocky Bay which is next to Zaikoff Bay has better anchorages. You go in to the head of the bay on the left. Around the island to the west is Stockdale Harbor which has quite a few protected coves.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

This might help you.

http://mapcarta.com/24091420
    - Jef Mallett

We spent a week holed up in Stockdale many years ago in a huge blow. 100 mph winds for a week straight. Glad we were in a 40 footer. But even with that there wasn't much sleep making sure we didn't drag anchor. Never did make it off the boat and get ashore to get any deer. But we stayed safe and lived to hunt another year. That trip taught me Montague is not a place to take a 20 something foot boat out for a week long hunt in november.

Have spent quite a bit of time in both bays during the summer months. I prefer Rocky Bay, but Zaikof is nice too. The blueberries are GREAT this year down there -

We may be heading down this weekend to go fishing, so maybe if you are in one or the other we will see you there and/or can at least make sure your boat is still anchored up. Also - the water can be quite low in Rocky bay - and there are uncharted rocks - so it helps to have a lookout on the bow, esp at low tide. Generally we stay just right of center of the bay, making a pretty large arc to get into the first cove (probably the one mentioned here)... we do not park in the back end of the bay...too shallow..but we do park in the 'channel' part.. Actually, at low tide you can go to the shore on the north side and see a HUGE anchor (like 15-20 feet wide at the 'prongs'). Mooring anchor I guess, that has been there for many, many years. It is really cool.
    Taxidermy IS art!
    www.alaskawildliferugs.com
    Your mount is more than a trophy, it's a memory. Relive The Memory!

Quote Originally Posted by JuliW View Post
    Have spent quite a bit of time in both bays during the summer months. I prefer Rocky Bay, but Zaikof is nice too. The blueberries are GREAT this year down there -

We may be heading down this weekend to go fishing, so maybe if you are in one or the other we will see you there and/or can at least make sure your boat is still anchored up. Also - the water can be quite low in Rocky bay - and there are uncharted rocks - so it helps to have a lookout on the bow, esp at low tide. Generally we stay just right of center of the bay, making a pretty large arc to get into the first cove (probably the one mentioned here)... we do not park in the back end of the bay...too shallow..but we do park in the 'channel' part.. Actually, at low tide you can go to the shore on the north side and see a HUGE anchor (like 15-20 feet wide at the 'prongs'). Mooring anchor I guess, that has been there for many, many years. It is really cool.
    Thanks Julie the weather so far is looking good for this weekend so I'm thinking I'll head to zaikof Bay on Friday and have a look around there. I'd like to be able to find a good anchorage where I can leave the boat overnight and I'd feel a lot better if the wind stays down. Zaikof Bay is closer to the high Country and the map shows that rocky Bay area is pretty flat on shore. I only have Google Earth to go off of since I haven't been there yet. I'm in a white and blue Bayliner named the sea hunter so if you see us say hi. I monitor 16 when I'm on board. Good luck fishing this weekend. On Friday I'll be getting there later in the day so I'm thinking of doing a little fishing and maybe get a rock fish or two for dinner. There looks like there's a rock pile out in front of zaikof that looks to me like it should have a few fish. A but would be nice but I'm thinking the first thing up will be dinner. Then it'll be operation big buck down..... Or a spike I'm not proud.

Juli, I've been in Rocky Bay in the winter in a bad storm and we anchored all the way at the head in the cove on the left in a 58 foot seiner and had plenty of water.

The blueberries are thick in there!
    - Jef Mallett