Thread: Crossbow for moose and caribou? Anyone using them?

Default Crossbow for moose and caribou? Anyone using them?

My son, Bob, decided to buy a crossbow and hunt his moose and caribou with them. We've been out practicing with it, and wow, does it pack a punch. It has a 150psi draw. Pretty much dead on at 50 yards, which I think is the max we should shoot with it. Our plan is to only take it along with us, and if the perfect opportunity arrises, we'll use it. The crossbow is the Barnett Raptor FX or something like that.

Anyone have any experience hunting with the crossbow?

Thanks,
    Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Quote Originally Posted by denalihunter View Post
    My son, Bob, decided to buy a crossbow and hunt his moose and caribou with them. We've been out practicing with it, and wow, does it pack a punch. It has a 150psi draw. Pretty much dead on at 50 yards, which I think is the max we should shoot with it. Our plan is to only take it along with us, and if the perfect opportunity arrises, we'll use it. The crossbow is the Barnett Raptor FX or something like that.

Anyone have any experience hunting with the crossbow?

Thanks,
    Claude
    I've been wanting to do this for sometime. Our moose camp is setup perfectly for <50 yard shots. I was looking at them at Cabelas the other day, not cheap but sure look like fun!
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

They work for deer. My dad has been using them for years down in TN. I wish we could use them on the Haul Road.

Im glad they cannot be used on the hull road. But I guess that would be for a different disscussion.

Be careful. Regs state draw length for crossbow must be 14" and the FX is 12.5". I was considering it when an Cabela's employee warned me about the draw length requirement.

Quote Originally Posted by kodiak kid View Post
    Im glad they cannot be used on the hull road. But I guess that would be for a different disscussion.
    Oh crossbows can be used on the haul road if you are disabled I think min 70% is the requirement. You have to get all the necessary paperwork into the state but you can use a crossbow....

RLK, Wow, thanks for the heads up. Just verified and you are correct. I figured with the 150 FPS and the length at 20", it was good, but reading further, you are correct. Wish the Cabela's employee would have mentioned that to me! Guess I'm out of this idea, as I can't afford to buy another one. Sure glad I posted here.

Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Quote Originally Posted by RLK7 View Post
    Be careful. Regs state draw length for crossbow must be 14" and the FX is 12.5". I was considering it when an Cabela's employee warned me about the draw length requirement.
    This is in-correct. I have contacted the highest authorities on this very subject, and the language in the regs was supposed to be addressed, but apparently didn't make press time.
    Contact the Troopers, not just in your local area, (as they may not be up to speed on the clarifications, either), but go to headquarters.
    If there are still questions, have your local LEO's get ahold of Ted Spraker, the Chair of the BOG. He and I have fleshed this out to the point of getting the original intent of the regulation, as well as dealing with the complexities of modern X-bows, fall within the law.