Thread: Maclaren River off Denali Hwy

Default Maclaren River off Denali Hwy

Anyone ever go down this in a jet/airboat? Can't decide if it would be better to go down from the Hwy or put in at the sue then go down to the mouth of the Maclaren and go up. I have been told there is a rock garden 12 miles down from the Hwy so I'm thinking about coming up from the mouth. Any thoughts or input would be awesome.
    "Bearly Wounded" 18' Alaska Airboat, LS3 counter rotator. And a bit of a light problem.

I did it for the first time two years ago. I took my 21' Sportjon down from the lodge about 15 miles or so for a caribou hunt. At around the point where we stopped and set up camp was where the big boulders started showing up. I don't have any first hand knowledge from there on down to the Big Su, but from what I understand there is a pretty decent rock garden that you have to navigate on the Maclaren prior to getting to the Su (I'm sure it's the same one you heard about).

How was your hunt? Successful?
    "Bearly Wounded" 18' Alaska Airboat, LS3 counter rotator. And a bit of a light problem.

Do a little forum research. There was a guy who floated his jet ski down a few miles and hauled a bou out. IMO, it's a good spot to try. The caribou move further south of the highway in thicker numbers based on my experience. I've seen caribou all over that area, a few yards north of the road, a quarter mile south of the road, miles out where we couldn't get to them. Boat would be a good option, even if you only run to the rock garden. My recommendation would be to wait closer to the last week of August, rather than opening day. It's kinda slow around there near the opener.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Quote Originally Posted by AKSmash View Post
    How was your hunt? Successful?
    We were not successful. It was my 11 year old son and I, and the plan was that he would kill his first big game animal or we would go home empty handed. Right before the season started fish and game changed it to bulls only and as it turned out we only saw three bulls. The closest one was almost 300 yards away and moving, so he never had a very good opportunity. Had we been allowed to kill a cow it would've been pretty easy as we had several that got within 20 yards or so of us. We only had a long four day weekend to hunt, because of his school obligations and then the hunt closed and never reopened. We did have a good time though all in all and it was nice to check out a little river that I had never been on before. I would definitely do it again, the same way, if I were to draw that tag again.

Are there any ATV Maclaren river crossings down streem from the bridge? Maybe 10 miles or so.

Quote Originally Posted by akbrnbear View Post
    Are there any ATV Maclaren river crossings down streem from the bridge? Maybe 10 miles or so.
    Not a chance anyone will be crossing that river on a ATV regardless of where on the river.

We launched a 21' Grayling where the bridge crosses the Big Su and went from there. We went up both the MacLaren and the Tyone. We went so far up (on accident) that we met a couple airboaters shaking their heads in disbelief. (this was a few years back). If you know your boat, and are comfortable reading the water it can be done no problem.
    its better to be silent and thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt...

From the hwy down, expect crowds.. Like most places, it's getting more people and traffic with every year.. The rocks start at around 11-12mi and go for several miles. Most folks turn around there or between there and 15mi. Getting dents in the hull or busted outboard jetfoots seem to be an issue for some.
    Most 'bou seem to be further down anyways.
    IMHO, for 'bou, the closer you get to the Alphabet hills/Tyone country, the better. The Su to the Maclaren is closer to those areas and A LOT less crowded...
    If I had an airboat, I'd head up from the bottom.. Or better yet, head up towards the big Su glacier.. Those airboat guys almost always do good up there...

Is there a transporter that can haul Atv's and Argo's w/Trailers down the Maclaren to the West end of the Alphabet Hills??

Quote Originally Posted by akbrnbear View Post
    Is there a transporter that can haul Atv's and Argo's w/Trailers down the Maclaren to the West end of the Alphabet Hills??
    Alan with the lodge there can haul 4 wheelers down but not Argos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6