Thread: 1997 ski doo 670 picked up cheap

Default 1997 ski doo 670 picked up cheap

Anyone here have any experience with these sleds? It was a deal i couldnt pass up so i brought it home. The only thing i dont like is the short track. Can these be converted to a long track?

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

I have a 96 summit that I put a 98 motor into. I don't have any experience with the tracks/swapping, but the motors I have more experience than I wanted. Pretty peppy but they won't keep up with the new bikes.

Sure you can put a longer track under it. Just be careful. You can end up spending way more money on trying to make a beater sled into something more than you could save up and buy a better machine for. Get some time on it first as is and make sure you aren't going to sink money into a pit.

Lol you have a good point on the money pit. My cabin is 3 miles up a dirt road and we will be machining in and out this winter. I plan to get at least two more sleds so everyone in the house has one.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

If you are using it to go into a cabin 3 miles, I would not mess with it - just drive it. They go pretty good even in deep snow if you keep the throttle hammered. The 670 is pretty snappy and has plenty of power for the sled. We mostly go ice fishing or trail riding and they work well pulling a sled full of gear.

Now - if you want to go climb the mountains behind whittier - you should have a longer track attached to a newer bike IMO.

My buddy uses Formula 670's to access his cabin and one is short track while the other has a 136" (aftermarket)- they both do fine transporting a towed sled and supplies. He put different jets in the carbs so they aren't the 'rip around a lake' sleds originally intended for.

my summit has a 136" track on it (2" paddles). The wifes GT500 has a 136 on it also but it has 3/4" paddles. I got the 2 bikes and a covered trailer for 3500.00 a few years ago. The summit motor was seized but I went ahead and started it anyway - which is why I had to put a different motor in it.

My advice is the same as the others. For what you are doing, just drive it as is. One thing with that motor, if you turn the sled upside down, or close to it, the engine will flood and it will take between 42 and 45 pulls on the rope before it will start. Which, is tuff to do after wallowing around in the snow to get it back upright.