Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 51 of 51

Thread: Any place to hang/age meat?

  1. #41
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    All-I-SAW, AK.
    Posts
    1,178

    Default

    Have you seen that portable cooler from the TV hunting channels, called the Koola Buck Pro portable cooler.
    It holds about 800# (4 deer), weighs in at around 350#, runs of 110AC, and costs $3500.00.. It's not cheap...
    Granted it's portable, but if you want it too really work and be functional, "doing it on the cheap" like I also originally thought, is tough to do.
    I'm sure it's been done and inexpensive coolers are out there, but how efficient are they, I honestly don't know.
    Since I dumped alot into mine and it works great, I'd be a lil butthurt knowing that I could've done it for 1,500-2000 less. LOL...
    Oh well, too late now for me...
    Maybe someone who's done it can chime in and give the straight talk about theirs...

  2. #42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swampdonkey View Post
    Have you seen that portable cooler from the TV hunting channels, called the Koola Buck Pro portable cooler.
    It holds about 800# (4 deer), weighs in at around 350#, runs of 110AC, and costs $3500.00.. It's not cheap...
    Granted it's portable, but if you want it too really work and be functional, "doing it on the cheap" like I also originally thought, is tough to do.
    I'm sure it's been done and inexpensive coolers are out there, but how efficient are they, I honestly don't know.
    Since I dumped alot into mine and it works great, I'd be a lil butthurt knowing that I could've done it for 1,500-2000 less. LOL...
    Oh well, too late now for me...
    Maybe someone who's done it can chime in and give the straight talk about theirs...

    That thing was what led me to try to build one that way. I think the Kool-A-Buck could be done a lot cheaper.

    Efficient? Maybe not as much, but how many days of the year are you actually going to use it? 10-12? 20 tops? I figure one month's electric bill might take a hit, but it shouldn't be that bad even if it ran 18 hours a day.

  3. #43
    Member akgun&ammo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    1,038

    Default

    Mike,

    I can get you some photos..

    just not this week.

    too much hospital time

    I poured concrete pad for floor, then a row of concrete blocks (to keep water off base of wall), then a 2 x 6 stud wall, door metal shielded, shingled roof for extra R factor

    ran electric to a breaker box inside the cooler, then ceiling light and wall outlets inside, two lights outside- a porch style at door and a flood light at peak of roof to light up path to cooler...

    AC unit from Walmart, and CoolBot from the factory


    Chris

  4. #44
    Member akgun&ammo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    1,038

    Default

    3 reasons to have a cool place to hang game if you do your own processing

    1) TIME

    2) TIME

    3) TIME

    let me elaborate:
    #1 Time: can you stop to process meat during hunt trip. did you and yours only have one tag? not as big as issue
    #2 Time: did you just get back to house at 1 AM from hunt with a full grown moose, and temperatures are still warm? do you want to stay up and process the meat?
    #3 Time: do you like to process a whole moose in one day? cut, clean, grind, make sausage, burger..... and package it all?

    I have a old refrigerator I use to store meat planning on grinding. I could place meat in cooler on floor in buckets or totes if needed to.

    AND FINALLY:

    #4 Time: do you have to go to a paying job; so you got funds to pay bills, rather then stay at the processing till done??????

    could have added: #5 time: can you wait till your buddy comes over with a 12 pack to help you process your moose and enjoy fresh tenderloins on the grill with ya?

    well, can you???

    Chris

  5. #45
    Member akgun&ammo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    North Pole
    Posts
    1,038

    Default

    none of my previous posts mentioned aging.

    which needs to happen at temperatures around 34 to 45 degrees.....

    Chris

  6. #46
    Member Ben XCR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Between Anchorage and Homer
    Posts
    232

    Default

    I'll be building mine this summer. Hadn't really planned to for a couple more years but I got a smoking deal on a whole cow, that I'll slaughter in August, and there's no way I'm not hanging him for at least 10 days before I butcher. Plan is to go with a concrete floor, I was planning on pouring one for the greenhouse build as well so it'll save me $ actually in minimum charges from the pumper. I'm going to go with an 8X8 building on an 8X12 pad. The 4' extra I'm going to overhang the roof over so I have a good, accessible place for my smoker and it's accessories. Seemed like a good final home for it since I'll be processing everything to go into it in the cooler anyways. 2x6 framing throughout with rockwool insulation between studs and 2" of polystyrene over them on the interior should give me an R value of about 33 all around if memory serves. With the smaller 8x8 building it'll also allow me to get away with a 15K BTU air conditioner that should save a little $ up front and in the long run. Most likely it'll be a little tight inside for 2 people cutting, but 95% of the time I'm doing it all on my own so I won't worry about it. Hoping to pour in June and then start building in July and have it serviceable by slaughter in August. I'll try and remember to take the time and take pictures of the entire process, maybe do a different build thread on it in this forum for reference.

    Hey Swampdonkey,
    I've still got your # but would you mind letting me know where you sourced your channel and rollers through? I figure might as well make it public for everyone to see in case they want to get started on their own. I'm going to start ordering everything in May. Currently trying to figure out the cheapest way to get the AC unit up here.
    The more you talk, the more I wish I was deaf.

  7. #47
    Member bigbear400's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    wasilla
    Posts
    100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben XCR View Post
    I'll be building mine this summer. Hadn't really planned to for a couple more years but I got a smoking deal on a whole cow, that I'll slaughter in August, and there's no way I'm not hanging him for at least 10 days before I butcher. Plan is to go with a concrete floor, I was planning on pouring one for the greenhouse build as well so it'll save me $ actually in minimum charges from the pumper. I'm going to go with an 8X8 building on an 8X12 pad. The 4' extra I'm going to overhang the roof over so I have a good, accessible place for my smoker and it's accessories. Seemed like a good final home for it since I'll be processing everything to go into it in the cooler anyways. 2x6 framing throughout with rockwool insulation between studs and 2" of polystyrene over them on the interior should give me an R value of about 33 all around if memory serves. With the smaller 8x8 building it'll also allow me to get away with a 15K BTU air conditioner that should save a little $ up front and in the long run. Most likely it'll be a little tight inside for 2 people cutting, but 95% of the time I'm doing it all on my own so I won't worry about it. Hoping to pour in June and then start building in July and have it serviceable by slaughter in August. I'll try and remember to take the time and take pictures of the entire process, maybe do a different build thread on it in this forum for reference.

    Hey Swampdonkey,
    I've still got your # but would you mind letting me know where you sourced your channel and rollers through? I figure might as well make it public for everyone to see in case they want to get started on their own. I'm going to start ordering everything in May. Currently trying to figure out the cheapest way to get the AC unit up here.
    Nice , since you are going to pour the floor , it would be a great idea to install a floor drain if possible , makes wash up super easy .
    Owner of Bear Mountain Meats Game Processing .
    907-745-4756

  8. #48
    Member Toklat3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Mat-Su
    Posts
    71

    Default

    This is 16x16 with 3 open screened in windowsDSC01717.jpgDavid Dowling25-0001.jpg

  9. #49
    Member Toklat3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Mat-Su
    Posts
    71

  10. #50
    Member Ben XCR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Between Anchorage and Homer
    Posts
    232

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bigbear400 View Post
    Nice , since you are going to pour the floor , it would be a great idea to install a floor drain if possible , makes wash up super easy .
    Definitely in the plans to do so. I've got a buddy who used to work concrete that's going to help me pour the slab for it and the greenhouse. Both will have sloped floors to a drain. Also scored some commercial vinyl tile a couple years ago for cents on the dollar that I'll put all the way up the walls. I think the ceiling will be fine with some painted OSB over the insulation.
    Pretty much the only thing I'm mulling over now is what I want in the ceiling to hang my rollers off of so that they're solid enough. I'm leaning towards just using 2X10's for the bottom cord on my trusses and securing them to those. Or I could run a couple 4X6's lengthwise and just do normal rafters. That would kind of screw with my insulation and roof ventilation plans though.

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    The more you talk, the more I wish I was deaf.

  11. #51
    Member Hoss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    159

    Default

    I am sure options are more limited up there, but down here liquidations on grocery stores, convenience stores and restaurants are pretty common and the walk-in's never bring anything at the auctions. Granted you have to dismantle and remove them but it is well worth it. Some of the cooling units are three phase, but the insulated panels can still be used and it makes for a pretty easy and cheap meat room.

    Ben XCR if you are going to pour a floor in your meat room and you have any intention of doing any skinning in there you might consider installing a couple of floor anchors in the concrete. Hang an electric or hand winch over the anchor, start the skinning on the legs, chain the hide off to the floor anchor and just raise the critter up. That together with running hot water in the room will make life easier.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •