Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any place to hang/age meat?

I hung mine for 14 days this year and I can tell you that the texture of the meat was very tender! Ive only eaten a little of it so far but its been outstanding!

What about a Connex that is already a freezer/refrigerator??? Already set up. Not as esthetically pleasing

Quote Originally Posted by polardds View Post
    What about a Connex that is already a freezer/refrigerator??? Already set up. Not as esthetically pleasing
    It'd be perfect, just spendy!! Looking around 10K for a decent used connex with a running cooler system.
    Also, when on a trailer platform, don't those have a belly tank and run off of diesel? I'm not sure...

Over the years, I've had no place to hang meat very long due to temps. If I was lucky, I hung it for a week. Usually it was 3-4 days, at best.
    Since we process our own, finding a place too hang it is dang near impossible.
    Now that I've got my Coolbot/AC ran 12'x12' walk-in cooler all built and finished, my moose and caribou from this season hung nicely for about 8-9 days at a lovely 38*. They're tender and delicious...

Good to hear the cool bot works as good as it appears.
    Someday.......
    The for the info.
    Bk
    BK Marine Services 232-6399
    Alaskas only Planar diesel heaters dealer, service, warranty, and installation.
    Alaskas only Lonestar drum winch dealer, Whirlwind props, Stinger gearbox, and Alumatech airboats.
    Www.bkmarineservices.com

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Someday.......
    The for the info.
    Bk
    The Coolbot is EASY!!!
    My only caution would be too review the AC unit you would use. I use a 25,000BTU Kenmore Elite, mainly due to my size (12'x12').
    18-22K btu typically work fine for up to 10'x10' sized units.
    Anyways, it was a little frustrating at first because of the dual heating elements that were in mine.
    I figured/thought that it had only one, like many other brands have.
    It gave me fits for a day or 2. But once I called the Coolbot folks and found the 2nd element, it now works awesome!!

Someday.......
    The for the info.
    Bk
    Mine is big enough for 3 moose easily, maybe a small to medium 4th. If its just caribou or deer hanging? I'd say room for plenty!!
    Since I'm running 220v, it adds up when it's on 24/7 for a week or 2. So I was figuring $10 a day for those who'd like to use it..
    Buuuuut, I'll barter and trade hanging time/space for some shrimp/lings/yellow eye!!
    Just sayin'....

Gotcha, sounds like a good deal.
    Roughly where are you in state?
    Bk
    Alaskas only Lonestar drum winch dealer, Whirlwind props, Stinger gearbox, and Alumatech airboats.
    Www.bkmarineservices.com

Thumbs up

Gotcha, sounds like a good deal.
    Roughly where are you in state?
    Bk
    All-I Saw is Wasilla spelled backwards...
    I'm about 6-ish miles up Wasilla/Fishhook rd from the Parks...

Doh, that was too easy.
    Good to know, not far from me at all.
    Bk
    Www.bkmarineservices.com

Quote Originally Posted by swampdonkey View Post
    Mine is big enough for 3 moose easily, maybe a small to medium 4th. If its just caribou or deer hanging? I'd say room for plenty!!
    Since I'm running 220v, it adds up when it's on 24/7 for a week or 2. So I was figuring $10 a day for those who'd like to use it..
    Buuuuut, I'll barter and trade hanging time/space for some shrimp/lings/yellow eye!!
    Just sayin'....
    I've been thinking about building one of these myself. Mind sharing some pics/tips on yours? Just the foam insulation I was looking at was going to cost more than the entire framing. Also, what would you say, if you don't mind sharing, it costs to run it per day? At $.23 a KWH I know my bill is already ridiculous each month.
    The more you talk, the more I wish I was deaf.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben XCR View Post
    I've been thinking about building one of these myself. Mind sharing some pics/tips on yours? Just the foam insulation I was looking at was going to cost more than the entire framing. Also, what would you say, if you don't mind sharing, it costs to run it per day? At $.23 a KWH I know my bill is already ridiculous each month.
    Honestly, if I sat down and crunched the #'s, I'd just roll my eyes. My initial mindset was "I can do this for no more than 3K".
    I'd say that with pink board, 4" concrete slab, electrical, AC unit, CoolBot, complete 2x6 framing/roof, hangers, felt, R19 insulation, 3- 12'x4x8 beams, unistrut w/ rollers, 1/2" x 4" lag bolts, metal roof and trim, T-111 siding, vapor barrier, 36" insulated steel man door, 1 1/2" drain, and the sheets of 1/2" plywood (not OSB), I'm into it for about $4500-$5K.
    I'm still gonna put 4' FRP wainscoat around the entire inside base of the cooler for rinsing purposes. The unistrut is on order, had to use framing nails for this season..
    But it's done (for the most part), it works awesome, and I DO NOT ever have too worry about mild temps again when hanging meat!! From my best recollection (don't quote me I'd have too double check), but my September MEA bill was around $25-$30 more then "normal". I had it running off and on for 2 wks, maybe a bit longer.
    PM me your # and I'll get you some pics. I've never figured out how to setup posting pics on this website...

Yeah that's roundabout the total I was figuring. I've been trying to warrant it in my mind but I'm getting closer as I also raise pigs, chickens etc. that it'd be nice to have a cold place for during slaughter season. I'll send that PM with my # shortly. I'm interested in all of it but your strut hangers and rollers you mention sound very much so. I've been designing in my head for a couple years and the slide hangers was one part I was getting hung up on. Also, where'd you pick your AC unit up? I get looks like I've got two heads when I ask anywhere in AK if they've got them.
    The more you talk, the more I wish I was deaf.

If you raise your own critters on top of hunting game, then it's definitely a worthwhile investment in my opinion.
    Having that piece of mind knowing that when it's 55-60* outside, my meat is chilling nicely at 38* with NO WORRIES!!!
    I hate having too rush or feel pressured, not this year!!
    The 1 5/8" UNISTRUT channel will be lag bolted onto the underside of the 3 main beams, about 11'6" long for each stick. There will be 3 sticks of channel. The 6 trolleys will fit inside and roll along the inside of each channel piece. Depending which model of trolley you order, they can hold up to 100-600# each. I went with the heavier models... It's around $800 total for that...
    Still $1500 cheaper then the beef locker roll systems I looked into..
    I went big with the AC unit since I went over the "normal" 10'x10' footprint, which was recommended at 18-22k BTU's. I went 12'x12'.
    Sears had the only 22K+ BTU AC unit that I could get in Alaska. It was a 25K Kenmore Elite. That, plus shipping, and an extended warranty, was another $800 shot out the window...
    I got a few looks and some comments as well throughout the AC buying experience, but it didn't matter. I wanted it and I was gonna get it. Period. So I did...
    I figured that if I do this right once, it's a done deal. No regrets!!

my supports and rollers are 2" pipe (Salvaged, so affordable) and rollers from Home depot.

I can also just hook my SS meat hooks over the pipe.

have three pipes... one each side, and one in back.

each can hold a whole moose

course I separate out so have working room. moose quarters get big enough to make walking between hard if you don't have some free room

Chris
    Last edited by akgun&ammo; 03-23-2017 at 15:18. Reason: added salvaged pipes

Folks,

I think this would make an excellent topic for a page on the site. Anyone willing to provide photos and instructions?

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    Folks,

I think this would make an excellent topic for a page on the site. Anyone willing to provide photos and instructions?

-Mike
    I second that! I would love some inspiration, photos, and ideas.

I have my own, but haven't ever built it yet. I'm still not sold on even needing to age the meat. Anyone have a reason that convinces me to build one? i've always processed the meat fairly immediately.

Now if it's smoker builds, I have photos and plenty to share, but the cold room is still on deck.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Explorer View Post
    I second that! I would love some inspiration, photos, and ideas.

I have my own, but haven't ever built it yet. I'm still not sold on even needing to age the meat. Anyone have a reason that convinces me to build one? i've always processed the meat fairly immediately.

Now if it's smoker builds, I have photos and plenty to share, but the cold room is still on deck.
    My reason for building it is because I've taken several moose during the warm August archery season and getting the heat out of the meat while 60* outside is difficult. No meat cutter around with a cooler will "let you hang" your meat just to hang it. They wanna process it too.
    Well, we process our own, so now all of the sudden "they don't have room" for my meat...
    I said scr** it, I'll build one. So I did...
    It also works for cooling vegetables, mushrooms, berries until time too can or process them as well..

My BIL is a great guy and kills lots of moose. He very adamant on getting it home as fast as humanly possible and processing it.
    His meat almost always has a semi-tart taste too it. I believe it's still remnants of blood in the meat. Mine after hanging, doesn't taste like that.
    My theory..

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    Folks,

-Mike
    I started on Google by typing in "build your own walk in cooler" and took off from there.
    I got A LOT of really great ideas.
    That's also where I saw the Cool-Bot being used in a few projects so I dug deeper into that as well...
    Insulate it and seal it as best as you can.. That's the key for it too really work as advertised...

Quote Originally Posted by swampdonkey View Post
    My reason for building it is because I've taken several moose during the warm August archery season and getting the heat out of the meat while 60* outside is difficult. No meat cutter around with a cooler will "let you hang" your meat just to hang it. They wanna process it too.
    Well, we process our own, so now all of the sudden "they don't have room" for my meat...
    I said scr** it, I'll build one. So I did...
    It also works for cooling vegetables, mushrooms, berries until time too can or process them as well..

My BIL is a great guy and kills lots of moose. He very adamant on getting it home as fast as humanly possible and processing it.
    His meat almost always has a semi-tart taste too it. I believe it's still remnants of blood in the meat. Mine after hanging, doesn't taste like that.
    My theory..

I have never has a bad taste in any of mine, but it makes sense that more blood will drain if you hang it. I am going to try just to see.

One thought I had to make one on the cheap was to buy a portable grow room off Amazon - they are made to be fairly tight and have reflective insides to reflect heat and light - and get a portable air conditioner and pipe the air into the room, or if I had the space, just leave it inside and protect it from drips. Set to t0 36-38 degrees and let it go. I'd have to build a much sturdier frame from square tubing to use instead of what comes with the grow room, but that wouldn't cost much either. Put it in the garage on some pallets covered with a screen floor and it shouldn't be too crazy to keep at 38-40 degrees.

With the AC on the outside of the room, it would take some rigging to maintain the temp, but could be done. Just a thought I had. I haven't actually built one yet.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast