Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any place to hang/age meat?

Default Any place to hang/age meat?

Is there any cold locker service where a guy can hang a game animal for several days prior to butchering? Time permitting we always cut our own meat and if the weather permits we hang at home for 7-10 days prior to cutting and wrapping. A lot of years it's just too warm for that and we either cut and wrap as soon as the meat is fully cooled out or take it a processor. I know the processors have to move meat in and out as quickly as possible to make their money and they cannot afford to custom hang meat. Does anyone in the valley or Anchorage offer that service? Just a cold locker to hang meat for those guys who like to age their meat and cut and wrap their own? Thanks.

Mart

Have yet to find one......someone could make some money if they had a chiller to just hang meat.
    Bk

Oh Brian. You hang your meat wherever it's cool and out of sight. . Share a little bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Being Built (27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse)
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    Boat Name is PRIME TIME!

My highest CACHE is 14 feet, you can hang clean moose meat all winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob B View Post
    Oh Brian. You hang your meat wherever it's cool and out of sight. . Share a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    My highest CACHE is 14 feet, you can hang clean moose meat all winter.
    Guess I'll be hanging my meat at AGL's from now on!
    Hope your ready for it in a few weeks!!

Bk

What do you guys think would be a fare price for cold storage ? Trying to figure out if it would be worth our while .Just put up a 10x20 walk in cooler with full rail system to take rolling hooks and a winch to take the lifting out of it
    Owner of Bear Mountain Meats Game Processing .
    907-745-4756

In the 70s, many communities in Southeast had meat lockers you could rent to hang your deer. I think it is still a good idea.

Alright who is opening a meat hangar with me in anchorage for the fall months?

As a DIY project why not set up a freezer with a digital temperature controller that allows the system to stay at a cooler but not freezing temp. A few years ago you had to build the controller, but now the home brewer demand has made it possible to buy a plug-and-play system off the shelf from Johnson Controls or a few other off shore suppliers.

or get a coolbot and a window air conditioner...

my cooler stays between 38 and 45.....

and I still haven't got it 100% completeed like I'd want it to be

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by akgun&ammo View Post

Chris
    I'm doing this exact same thing. Currently in the building process... I can't wait...

I to just built one , but instead of a coolbot I used a Jonson controller for about $75 and a light bulb to fool the ac unit . Works Just as good as my commercial walk in for very few $$$ . I ended up buying 4 in blue foam that came out of the Palmer school . Ended up less that $1000 I have a nice 7x9 walk in that stays 35 degrees !!!! The coolbot is nice but you can to exactly the same thing with a $75 Jonson controller a small fan and a light bulb for a total of around $100 vs $300 for the coolbot .
    Owner of Bear Mountain Meats Game Processing .
    907-745-4756

Quote Originally Posted by bigbear400 View Post
    I to just built one , but instead of a coolbot I used a Jonson controller for about $75 and a light bulb to fool the ac unit . Works Just as good as my commercial walk in for very few $$$ . I ended up buying 4 in blue foam that came out of the Palmer school . Ended up less that $1000 I have a nice 7x9 walk in that stays 35 degrees !!!! The coolbot is nice but you can to exactly the same thing with a $75 Jonson controller a small fan and a light bulb for a total of around $100 vs $300 for the coolbot .

Details and pics needed here.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Build an insulated room. If it's open to the ground all the better in my opinion, as the ground is a solid 39 degrees or so and provides a buffer for temp changes.

Add AC if necessary. I use my well room, so the temp of the water and the pressure tank pretty effectively keeps things cool. Walls are 2x12 w r38 batts. Floor has Blueboard beneath the walls all the way around. Door has 2" of foam on both sides.

It's pretty simple to build yourself some cold storage.

Sounds like the lightbulb tricks the cool bot into staying on. I store vegetables in my cold storage so I don't want any light.

Thought about putting an old fridge in their with the door propped open but I have never needed to as the well water keeps it cold enough.

One method I have used is similar to andweav's description above. I don't have any protected unheated areas to hang meat, but if it is cold outside, I can take advantage of that. I tarped off a small area (about 8'x8') in my garage right up against an outside window. The tarp was just secured to small eye hooks in the ceiling around the perimeter. I have heated floors, so put 4" of rigid insulation on the floor to keep that heat out and then left the window open (may need a screen if there are bugs still out, not a concern in the winter). It took some active monitoring to keep tabs on the temperature in the area and I would make slight modifications to either allow more warm are in or less depending on what I needed the temperature in the hanging area to do.

Default Cool Bot

Quote Originally Posted by akgun&ammo View Post

Chris
    I built one of these this year and it has worked AWESOME!!! My question is how long do yall recommend hanging?

Quote Originally Posted by Short On Cache View Post
    I built one of these this year and it has worked AWESOME!!! My question is how long do yall recommend hanging?
    I hang quarters 18-21 days.
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

From the Indian Valley Meats Gamesaver directions.....

Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

I butcher mine immediately. No hanging. Well, maybe a day.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Short On Cache View Post
    If you look up this information online you can find multiple different opinions, all from credible sources.

For instance, Rocky mtn elk foundation suggests 14 days.

From above, Indian valley meats suggests 5 days.

I do as I was taught by my father. Others do what was taught by theirs, I'm sure.

I'd like to do a test to hang a portion of the moose for my usual time, 18-21 days. And another portion for, let's say, 5 days or less.

But I guess I'm not curious enough to eat tough steaks... someone else should try this and post their findings lol
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast