Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hitchingbrook island

Default Hitchingbrook island

Have a 22ft c dory. Would like to go to hitching brook for halibut but am concerned about the safety of crossing the 20 plus miles from knows head. Any suggestions or advice?

Just watch the weather, I'd wait for a flat day. If it's calling for nice weather when you leave port go for it. If is forecasted to be 15kts+ just stay in, its only 20 miles but 20 miles in 4-5's is a long trip, especially in a c-dory. After the first time, its a piece of cake. Hinchinbrook looks really close once you're at Knowles head.

Watch the weather, pick your day and you should be fine. Lots of places to hold up once you are out there if you need to. That being said, if the weather looks iffy, don't push it. Keep an eye on the West Orca buoy data (46060) for updates on weather and wave conditions.

Your Dory should do just fine on most days though.

Quote Originally Posted by jkswor View Post
    Have a 22ft c dory. Would like to go to hitching brook for halibut but am concerned about the safety of crossing the 20 plus miles from knows head. Any suggestions or advice?
    Was out there yesterday. Like others said watch the weather. I only head that far when its Variable less than 10. We did the trip to and from Whittier with a couple stops, and put on 178 miles.
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    Was out there yesterday. Like others said watch the weather. I only head that far when its Variable less than 10. We did the trip to and from Whittier with a couple stops, and put on 178 miles.
    From Valdez harbor it looks like 120 miles round trip. looks like it might have to be an over nighter for my boat speed. 3 to 4 hours one way. plus time to fish.
    Are there places to hold up over by johnston point. ie the lighthouse. and where do you fish once you get there?
    Thanks
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jkswor View Post
    From Valdez harbor it looks like 120 miles round trip. looks like it might have to be an over nighter for my boat speed. 3 to 4 hours one way. plus time to fish.
    Are there places to hold up over by johnston point. ie the lighthouse. and where do you fish once you get there?
    Thanks
    Jim
    Constantine harbor is great spot to anchor. Good fishing around bear cape and schooner rock, also of pt. montegue. Good luck and good fishing. I'll be out there again on Saturday.

Can you do it? Yes, absolutely. Having done about 100 trips per year out there somewhere since 98', would I in a 22'er.?... No .That can turn into a very long trip with little notice, even when the forecast is good. You might get lucky ten, twenty, or more times, but once it blows up on you one time you'll wish you didn't and you won't do it again. Crossing Orca in even a 20 knot southwesterly or southeasterly is not fun and no place for a boat less than 30', in my opinion. I really don't mean to sound negative, just an honest answer. I think anyone who spends a whole lot of time out there would concur. I know several who have a lot more days out there than me who would tell you not to go. Yes, you can hide in a few places, but it's more likely that you'll be committed to a crossing by the time you realize it's windy. Be safe whatever you decide. Don't forget to think about what happens if you have motor problems, lose steering, etc. Most boats can handle a lot until something happens. You want some margin for that.

Quote Originally Posted by offshore View Post
    Can you do it? Yes, absolutely. Having done about 100 trips per year out there somewhere since 98', would I in a 22'er.?... No .That can turn into a very long trip with little notice, even when the forecast is good. You might get lucky ten, twenty, or more times, but once it blows up on you one time you'll wish you didn't and you won't do it again. Crossing Orca in even a 20 knot southwesterly or southeasterly is not fun and no place for a boat less than 30', in my opinion. I really don't mean to sound negative, just an honest answer. I think anyone who spends a whole lot of time out there would concur. I know several who have a lot more days out there than me who would tell you not to go. Yes, you can hide in a few places, but it's more likely that you'll be committed to a crossing by the time you realize it's windy. Be safe whatever you decide. Don't forget to think about what happens if you have motor problems, lose steering, etc. Most boats can handle a lot until something happens. You want some margin for that.

But i have a 22' "ocean boat"

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

the trip out there is long over 75 miles one way over 150 miles round trip not much help out there [ if any ] you could spend one or 2 days out there
    I don't see it unless you have over 200 miles fuel supply on the boat with sleeping equipment on board, t gets to a point you will have more
    stuff on board an no place for the people to sit also a kicker with over a 100 mile travel on it gas supply . just my 2cts SID
    PS you can do it in a row boat but is it safe ,NO

Is the water that much worse on the east side of PWS, because I see many boats in the 18-22ft range going from Whittier to Montegue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you think you're free, there's no escape possible.

I have been doing it for 14 years in a 21' and a 22'. Just watch the weather, carry extra food and water, know your safe bays.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

how much fuel can you carry to go an come back, yes you can do it in good weather, will you have the fuel needed to get back if you are not on step FUEL an weather is the problem as I see it SID

My previous boat was a 22ft C-Dory, I took my family to Hinch and Monty numerous times, If you have fuel and time venture up into Constantine Harbor; just do it half tide or higher. If you spend the night and the forecast next day is for E 15 you’re ok, you’ll have falling seas on the way back. If the Weather forecast is 15 or better from any other direction than Easterly I’d head in closer to port or you’ll beat yourself miserably on the return.

The 22 ft. C-dory is quite capable, but she’s slow heading into chop unless your hard bow down; then fuel economy suffers. Unlike my current 25ft C-dory the 22 doesn’t seem to chine walk as much bow down, but in falling seas you'll want to be trimmed up or you'll have a heck of a time with steerage.

Of coarse you probable already know these things, I learned them all the hard way.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    But i have a 22' "ocean boat"
    I got into this with a couple of folks on the waterfowl forum a few years ago regarding going out in PWS in a Jon Boat.... One of them was saying that they see kayaks all over the place. I pointed out that a kayak will take a wave and will pop right back up and you can flip them. We saw a couple heading out on Sunday morning in a Jon boat out of Whittier. With all the boat traffic that day just the wakes from any of the passing boats could have sunk it. 12" of freeboard isn't my idea of reasonable. But I guess you could take a canoe out in January and make it to Green Island and back...but you may want to make sure your life insurance is up to date... I'm not commenting on the C-Dory as I have never been on one but 22' is not a lot of boat for that kind of water..
    Ruby at the end of a good day.

I had a 22 Seasport and did that trip every year. Then again I only did it in Variable less than 10. I had a 90 gallon tank, but the KAD32 sipped 5 gph, so I had a ton of range. Be careful and enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by offshore View Post
    I agree with offshore. Yes you can do it but be safe. Watch the weather, have the proper gear and don't overload the boat with 4 guys and camping gear. We went out to Montague a couple of weeks ago in a 27ft. boat with the weather forecast at variable 10kts. It ended up being 25kts and 4-5 footers on our way back to Seward. Montague seems to have local weather that usually isn't forecasted.

I would agree with Offshore. I have a 28'x10' boat and have gone out in the morning and had it smooth all the way out. I have had the weather blow up (not in the forecasted) and struggle to get across Orca or more than one occasion. Many good trips but that but when it gets ugly it can happen in a hurry. Makes be gun shy every time I go.

I know folks who do it but what how do you guys feel about going out there in a 22' jet boat?

Quote Originally Posted by bigram View Post
    I know folks who do it but what how do you guys feel about going out there in a 22' jet boat?
    I don't know of one jet owned by anyone in our harbor by a local who is out there all the time. They burn way too much fuel. Although they are easier for me to tow back to port.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I have a 20' with a jet and I can cruise around in pretty good chop with 5.7gph at 25+ knots. I would never attempt to go out farther than I can handle on my own. I know my boat well, I am comfortable in it. I have plenty of space for extra fuel, food and gear for stay our several days. BUT, as much as I'd like to go to Hitchingbrook, Id like to live a few more days so I can continue to fish.....There are old captains and there are bold captains but unfortunately there aren't many old bold captains. There are lots of guys on here like DaveintheBush that have done it a lot of times, but Dave has been around a long time and knows the waters around valdez very well.........I'll stick closer in and keep drowning herring till I find a spot that produces halibut and rock fish
    What are ya...a fisherman...or a catcherman?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast