Thread: Peninsula Hunt

Default Peninsula Hunt

Heading to the Peninsula in October for brown bear hunt. I know the weather can get bad but how bad. Do I need a waterproof backpack? I have the Kuiu yukon rain gear plus a set of helly hansen and simms waist waders. Other than the normal hunting gear, thermals, gloves, etc. what should I make sure to not go without.

Thanks

Don't forget to follow the advice your guide/outfitter has already provided and to stick close to the gear list he or she has provided. Also, don't forget to prepare yourself mentally. You'll need to have a good psychological sense about staying in stealth mode and, waiting it out through long hours of glassing from possibly the same vantage point, day in and day out. And, be prepared to endure some horrendous weather, especially if you're on the Pacific side. Those are the things that you don't want to go without. But again, closely follow and adhere to the gear list that your outfitter provided.

sil-nylon roll top dry bags in the pack help the most. Keeps gear organized and dry.
    When a person from the SE says "thermals" I cringe a little thinking back to my youth and all that cotton military surplus junk we wore. You will want merino wool or another quality synthetic layer on your skin and then more synthetic clothes over it. Polyester fleece is a great middle layer.
    Its hard to find waterproof hunting gloves. The new outdry sealed ones may work out, but I have yet to test them. I wear the orange fleece lined crabber gloves when in the wetter areas of the state.
    A package of the large sized wet wipes.

What you have is fine. Everybody else pretty well summed things up. I'm also heading out there in October. This will be my fourth trip to the peninsula. Everything from bluebird days, to snow and gale force winds and blowing rain can be on the menu. You'll have a blast!

Bring two or three good books to read, you could spend five day locked in the tent. Also good hipboots, with air-bob soles. And wear them around a fair bit before coming to Alaska, so you can dial-in the sock thing. Also some cornstarch or Gold Bond foot powder.

Who are you guys flying with? Best of luck.