Thread: A question on flounder

Default A question on flounder

I was dip netting the Kenai yesterday and saw many flounder caught, however only one person kept them. Everyone else three them back. I know flounder is popular on the east coast. Is it not popular in AK or just does not taste good. I have personally never had it.

Quote Originally Posted by akfish716 View Post
    I was dip netting the Kenai yesterday and saw many flounder caught, however only one person kept them. Everyone else three them back. I know flounder is popular on the east coast. Is it not popular in AK or just does not taste good. I have personally never had it.
    I think it may be a case of people tossing them back because they see others doing the same. I gladly keep flounder, pan fry it up like you might for halibut or any other white fish...very tasty!

Quote Originally Posted by Burntfrog View Post
    I think it may be a case of people tossing them back because they see others doing the same. I gladly keep flounder, pan fry it up like you might for halibut or any other white fish...very tasty!
    The only thing flounder are good for are dulling your knife, or skipping across the water.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDipper View Post
    The only thing flounder are good for are dulling your knife, or skipping across the water.
    Careful, if you skip then too hard they may become a statistic in the "roll outs, dropouts, and other associated bycatch mortality" department...

How can one legally dip net for flounder?

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

My son caught a huge starry flounder. Kept and ate. Tasty.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    How can one legally dip net for flounder?
    When dipping for reds near the mouth of the Kenai you'll occasionally scoop one up.

I've never kept any but I know folks who do so I assume it's legal.

They are tasty. Filet and fry.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

A few years ago I was told that if F&G catches you skipping flounder they can ticket you. Don't know if this is true or not, but I would imagine it would be quite a shock to their system and could kill some, if not all, and you could get nailed on Wanton Waste. They sure do skip nice though.

It is legal to keep ten flounder per season for the PU in Upper Cook Inlet.

I've kept one, once. It was small and seemed not worth the effort once I filleted it out. This year I brought in a nice sized one, but decided to let it go. In my four years of dipping I've only occasionally gotten one in my net and most times they are baby ones.

If they are cooked right they are tasty, though.

Thanks for all the replies. Maybe next year if I net one I will keep it and try it for myself.

I tried one once at the Kasilof while we were camping just off the beach. I wasn't impressed with it, but it's edible. Now I just throw them back. They seem to get in your nets a lot at low tide. Give it a shot and see if you like it before you try to catch your limit of ten.

I tried flounder once and the taste was OK, but it was mushy to me and that I personally didn't care for. However, a LOT depends on how you cook fish I am sure. My first job up here in Alaska was on the Yukon River and I had caught and tried Whitefish which I thought was really disgusting, even the lady that cooked it and was a Home Ec. teacher that was new to the local school, but a long time teacher in the subject couldn't eat it. The subject later came up with a guy that was working for RCA Alascom at the site there of how good it was and I told him the stuff I had was terrible. He asked how it was cooked and I told him it was baked. He said that was the problem, it should be rolled in flower and fried as well as the fresher, the better. Some time later he showed up with flower, salt, pepper, and some Whitefish and insisted on cooking some up just to show us how good it can be. WOW ! what a difference ! I will never pass up Yukon River Whitefish again for sure, it was delicious. So if anyone has good recipes for folks to cook flounder and wants to share them here, I am sure they would be appreciated and tried by many of us "Dipsticks" that haven't tried it before or maybe cooked it in a way that didn't compliment the fish.

Flounder are good to eat but needs to be 16 plus inches to be worth the trouble to fillet... Bigger the better... Skin is like sandpaper...

A combination beer/mud sauce really compliments a Starry Flounders flavor. Go REALLY heavy on the beer!

Quote Originally Posted by BigDipper View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by uhldwm View Post
    A few years ago I was told that if F&G catches you skipping flounder they can ticket you. Don't know if this is true or not, but I would imagine it would be quite a shock to their system and could kill some, if not all, and you could get nailed on Wanton Waste. They sure do skip nice though.
    Well, I must have been CURSED for my previous skipping. I went out boat dipping on Friday. We started around 11:30 and fished until about 8 PM. At one time, about an hour after high tide, we caught about 40 or so flounders over a couple hour span. It was awful!!!

But it turned out to be a good day of dipping overall. We started a little slow fishing just outside the buoys, but then moved up near the bridge and got into them pretty good. We were able to get all 38 needed to fill the permit. I was on a friends boat, and he was talking about taking someone else out when we finished, but they never called him back. I told the captain that my brother was over on the north beach, and the last we had heard from them, they were at 5, and sitting watching as the surf had come up a bit and no one was catching many. I told him if he wanted me to call him, he and his wife could probably join us on the boat if we dumped my wife and daughter out along with the cooler full of fish. He said OK, I called my brother, and they met us at the city dock about 15 minutes later, around 4:15 PM or so. We headed back out and managed to grab another 48 salmon before it dropped off around 8 PM, including a small, approx 25 lb king that my Sis-in-law netted. Boy was she excited!!

Overall, a good finish to the season.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I think that they count against your limit, and most folks prefer Salmon.

The ones I've caught and released were tiny.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    I think that they count against your limit, and most folks prefer Salmon.

The ones I've caught and released were tiny.

Smitty of the North
    The 10 flounder are separate from the household salmon limit. Page 16, right-hand side

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/re...hfisheries.pdf
    Your bait stinks and your boat is ugly

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by FishGod View Post
    The 10 flounder are separate from the household salmon limit. Page 16, right-hand side

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/re...hfisheries.pdf
    Thank You.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.