Thread: Best places to hunt Grouse and Ptarmigan

Default Best places to hunt Grouse and Ptarmigan

Hello everyone,
    Well I live in Palmer, been here over a year now. I am looking for a good place thats not to far to take my boys on a little hunting trip. Wondered if anyone could give some advice on a good place to go. I haven't had a chance to talk to the fish and game folks yet, planning on doing that this weekend.
    Thanks in advance for any info.

Quote Originally Posted by bdboybry View Post
    Hello everyone,
    Well I live in Palmer, been here over a year now. I am looking for a good place thats not to far to take my boys on a little hunting trip. Wondered if anyone could give some advice on a good place to go. I haven't had a chance to talk to the fish and game folks yet, planning on doing that this weekend.
    Thanks in advance for any info.
    Boots in the field............

Release Lake Trout

How many miles do you expect to cover by foot on such an outing? And how many hours? That's kinda the determining factor in what would be a good place to go.

I would recommend an overnight camping trip in any of a number of areas, rather than a 'hunting' trip, as your odds of success are 100% and I think you and your boys will learn more about the animals that way. Go camping and then hit the trail exploring the area.

Anywhere with a forest is a good place for grouse there are really no local honey holes.

Anywhere with trees an no people, that generally means pulling off the highway where there is no pullout and heading up the mountain where there is not trail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good for you for taking your boys out hunting! But, like anything else, those boys need to know how they must become the student. They must first learn to identify a spruce grouse from a ruffed grouse; know where they live and what they eat; know the law; be totally familiar with the firearm that will be used in the taking of said grouse; and know how to process their kill upon returning home. "Guns don't kill grouse, boots do." If you take them to good grouse woods there is much to see and do besides shooting grouse. Show them the tracks of all the other critters and discuss them, especially those animals and raptors that also eat grouse. Learn how to determine the sex of a bird in hand. Wear blaze orange! Have a blast! You're a good dad.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim McCann View Post
    Good for you for taking your boys out hunting! But, like anything else, those boys need to know how they must become the student. They must first learn to identify a spruce grouse from a ruffed grouse; know where they live and what they eat; know the law; be totally familiar with the firearm that will be used in the taking of said grouse; and know how to process their kill upon returning home. "Guns don't kill grouse, boots do." If you take them to good grouse woods there is much to see and do besides shooting grouse. Show them the tracks of all the other critters and discuss them, especially those animals and raptors that also eat grouse. Learn how to determine the sex of a bird in hand. Wear blaze orange! Have a blast! You're a good dad.
    Grouse hunting, an scouting for other animals are one in the same to me, great fun and great opportunity to plan other hunts!

What everyone has said may seem almost harsh like they are holding back their "spots" or whatever. However in my experience small game hunting is just like any other Hunting! Some days you go out and get 20 ptarmigan or see 200. Other days you go out and don't see a living thing.

Do we all have places we prefer to hunt? Probably. None of the places I go are guaranteed by any means, but to me it's not about getting out there to get something every time. Simply getting outside making memories with my dad and buddies are some of the most important things to me nowadays. Your boys will remember the times you took them out, I remember many of the times my dad took me out and just go have fun with the boys. Don't walk them into the ground though, that was never a good memory haha!

Places to give a shot would be trails around pt Mackenzie while it is becoming more and more private land birds can still be found, eureka has plenty of birds but they never seem to be in any specific place.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskankid13 View Post
    What everyone has said may seem almost harsh like they are holding back their "spots" or whatever. However in my experience small game hunting is just like any other Hunting! Some days you go out and get 20 ptarmigan or see 200. Other days you go out and don't see a living thing.

Do we all have places we prefer to hunt? Probably. None of the places I go are guaranteed by any means, but to me it's not about getting out there to get something every time. Simply getting outside making memories with my dad and buddies are some of the most important things to me nowadays. Your boys will remember the times you took them out, I remember many of the times my dad took me out and just go have fun with the boys. Don't walk them into the ground though, that was never a good memory haha!

Places to give a shot would be trails around pt Mackenzie while it is becoming more and more private land birds can still be found, eureka has plenty of birds but they never seem to be in any specific place.
    That's a great point on "spots", mine are all based on areas I know I can get into, less so in bird population because the population is constantly changing/moving.

Thank you all for the info. I am looking forward to a camp out with my boys. I have no doubt that we will learn a lot and have fun. Thank you.