Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What I would change about dip netting

Default What I would change about dip netting

No more butchering fish on the beach or river bank. Make less of a mess and make it harder to hide hundreds of filets in the coolers.

Same motor restrictions for dip netters in boats. Maybe even a length restriction. No more Queen Marys.

Daily checks by someone who can check licenses and ID's. I've NEVER been checked, and don't know any of my friends who have. Tired of foreign speaking people down there dipping.

I know the city of Kenai could care less about all this as long as they make their revenue. The State can't be bothered either, since so many reds are going up the river, "WHO CARES?" Well I do. Tired of the fish hogging just to see it go to waste, dumped on back roads, in dumpsters, given away to mushers on Tradio and CL next spring. Tired of the mess on the beach. yeah, I know the city rakes most of it up at night, but upstream from the dippers where the equipment can't go, looks like a dump. Oh, and drag your dip net in with a fish and have to take the time to remove half a dozen heads and some assorted guts.

Rant over. Flame suit on.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.

Saw a FB post. 3 guys, 1 admittedly a non-resident. (he only watched the fish so no one would steal them, supposedly didn't fish) Had 170 reds in the back of a pickup. The post is still up. Yeah, those won't all be eaten by this time next year, unless it's by ravens, bears, sled dogs, and coyotes.

No over night camping withing 10 miles of the river.
    Can not use a boat ramp to access a river to dip net.
    Dip net can not be more than 2 feet in diameter or 3 feet long.
    Hand power boats only.
    limit 3 fish per family per day, weekend 1 fish per weekend.

That my list. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    Saw a FB post. 3 guys, 1 admittedly a non-resident. (he only watched the fish so no one would steal them, supposedly didn't fish) Had 170 reds in the back of a pickup. The post is still up. Yeah, those won't all be eaten by this time next year, unless it's by ravens, bears, sled dogs, and coyotes.
    Without seeing the post myself, I can't say much as to the details, but.... Each of the two residents could be fishing for an unknown sized family, so each of their limits are somewhat unknown. Factor in that they could both also be proxying for another which could potentially double their "limit". Who knows who those fish are for, so hard to say whether or not those fish would be eaten by this time next year, but then again, maybe they are stocking up for more than a year too.

I just gotta step in here in defense of what many have as an opinion of mushers, at least those these days. I have been an active participant in the sport since 1969 and although I no longer have dogs am still very active with the sport. Mushers get a lot of flack about taking of salmon illegally and I am sure there are still some that do, but I don't personally know of one. Granted, I used to, but that was a long time ago and they don't bother with it any more, or are no longer with us. I am also quite sure there are scoundrels among the mushing community as you will have in any group of people. All groups have the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, mushers are no exception. I would personally put my trust in at least as many mushers, especially those with reputations, as I would Doctors, Lawyers and yes, Clergy. OK, you can start throwing things now, but that is the truth as I see it. I may be a little out of date here, but when I had dogs you could go to commercial processors and have all the heads you wanted, just pick them off the conveyor belt that dumps into the inlet. At the end of the season you could also buy commercial surplus very reasonably if you just inquired. Some of the hatcheries used to make spawned out salmon carcasses available as well, not to mention the cost and possible fines involved if caught. In the long run, you get more bang for the buck with commercial dry dog food and meat specifically produced for animal consumption, beef, turkey, chicken, lamb, etc.. True, no dog musher will pass up freezer burned salmon for their dogs, but it is not them as a group that are doing the wasting of the resource in my opinion and I am involved with them, not just Monday Morning Quarterbacking.

Quote Originally Posted by uhldwm View Post
    I just gotta step in here in defense of what many have as an opinion of mushers, at least those these days. I have been an active participant in the sport since 1969 and although I no longer have dogs am still very active with the sport. Mushers get a lot of flack about taking of salmon illegally and I am sure there are still some that do, but I don't personally know of one. Granted, I used to, but that was a long time ago and they don't bother with it any more, or are no longer with us. I am also quite sure there are scoundrels among the mushing community as you will have in any group of people. All groups have the Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, mushers are no exception. I would personally put my trust in at least as many mushers, especially those with reputations, as I would Doctors, Lawyers and yes, Clergy. OK, you can start throwing things now, but that is the truth as I see it. I may be a little out of date here, but when I had dogs you could go to commercial processors and have all the heads you wanted, just pick them off the conveyor belt that dumps into the inlet. At the end of the season you could also buy commercial surplus very reasonably if you just inquired. Some of the hatcheries used to make spawned out salmon carcasses available as well, not to mention the cost and possible fines involved if caught. In the long run, you get more bang for the buck with commercial dry dog food and meat specifically produced for animal consumption, beef, turkey, chicken, lamb, etc.. True, no dog musher will pass up freezer burned salmon for their dogs, but it is not them as a group that are doing the wasting of the resource in my opinion and I am involved with them, not just Monday Morning Quarterbacking.
    Not blaming the mushers. At least it gets put to use. The problem is the people whose eyeballs are larger than their stomachs, or freezers for that matter. The hog mentality that goes along with this fishery is pretty obvious. I know, all those reds are just going to spawn and die, and F&W could care less about a percentage of dippers over doing it, but it just rubs me the wrong way.

These same dipnetters will vote to do away with the setnetters just so they can have more fish to throw away.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRoss View Post
    Not blaming the mushers. At least it gets put to use. The problem is the people whose eyeballs are larger than their stomachs, or freezers for that matter. The hog mentality that goes along with this fishery is pretty obvious. I know, all those reds are just going to spawn and die, and F&W could care less about a percentage of dippers over doing it, but it just rubs me the wrong way.

Quote Originally Posted by kodiak kid View Post
    These same dipnetters will vote to do away with the setnetters just so they can have more fish to throw away.

Perhaps not. People are starting to get it.

I like your list Ross. I would add: No camping at all at Kasilof Beach during dip net season. That small area cannot support it. Also, leave your useless, unneeded ATVs/UTVs at home unless you are disabled or geriatric.

I'd like to see the limit reduced to 10 per family member, period. As such, my family of four would be allowed 40 instead of 55. That is still way more than enough, especially when coupled with sportfishing limits.

As to the comment in the initial post about foreign speaking fishermen, don't think that those are necessarily non-residents. There are approximately 100 languages spoken in the homes of Anchorage residents. Plenty of Alaskan residents speak languages other than English.

I say close down the whole thing and put up a vending machine full of commercial reds right next to the "ice cube" at the Peninsula Center Mall.

Make sure the instructions are in Yup'ik to weed out the foreign speakers as noted in post 1.
    Death is like an old whore in a bar--I'll buy her a drink but I won't go upstairs with her.

I would like to see better enforcement throughout the whole process, from getting the permit to processing the fish. Weed out the fake residents, make sure people are only catching what they are permitted for, and everything else in between. Would like to see a second substantial boat launch added at a separate site to ease the congestion at the city dock. A no wake zone in the lower river from Kenai landing to the city dock would be great as well, I cringe when I see boats untie from the launch and push the throttle wide open. There are so many boats and blind spots, it's an accident waiting to happen. Last but not least, no more whining about there not being enough fish, or not enough opportunity to get fish.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

You cannot make people speak English. I agree with Brian: there are plenty of foreign born people who are citizens and are fishing legitimately and legally. Yes, it irks me that immigrants don't assimilate as they did in past centuries, but it is not a crime, and in fact lack of assimilation is encouraged by our society as "diversity". Heck, Anchorage prides itself on it!. And I'm not speaking about Native speakers in that context either. Those languages have been spoken in Alaska since time immemorial. Maybe we should all learn Alaska Native languages! Well, actually I already speak one, so I got a head start on ya.

However, my guess is that there is plenty of illegal and illegitimate fishing going on down there, and those people need to be checked and fined. Make the fishery harder to cheat at and more carefully regulated.

Quote Originally Posted by Milo View Post
    I say close down the whole thing and put up a vending machine full of commercial reds right next to the "ice cube" at the Peninsula Center Mall.

Make sure the instructions are in Yup'ik to weed out the foreign speakers as noted in post 1.
    Wait...what about the Athabaskan speakers?

I've never been, but I have seen the pictures. I would like to see the no ATV rule added unless you are disabled, as well as better monitoring of permits. And implement a leave no trace rule.

Maybe at the north beach where people drive their trucks to pick their gear up there should be one slot where a fish and game dude is. If you get directed to that spot you get your fish checked. Make it is so you can only have 2 fish per gallon bag if you fillet them on the beach so it would be easy counting for them. I know some people hate others who fillet on the beach but I always huck my carcasses way out and normally I am going to the tide line and kicking other people's fish in that just throw them on the beach. It's not that hard to throw them I don't get why people think it's ok to just leave a pile of carcasses

Sent while partying
    I will never be a "Prostaffer" its not that I am not good enough
    but its because I refuse to pimp products for free.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Cornelius View Post
    Wait...what about the Athabaskan speakers?
    Yes, especially since Cook Inlet is Tanaina Athabaskan country (though there is evidence that they forced Eskimos out).

Just in case anyone wants to review any of the ideas brought up in the multiple previous threads on this same subject from previous years....

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ry-be-improved

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...odest-proposal

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...l-be-expensive

First preference would be to manage all the rivers like Fish Creek; only open to dipnetting if there is an over escapement. My understanding is that this was the intent by the Board of Fish when these PU fisheries were created; only when there is a harvestable surplus.

But that wont happen. So I would like to see the annual limit abolished and the daily dipnetting limit equal to the in river sport limit. Families would be allowed one limit per day for each family member actually present. This would lower the catch rate, reduce the amount of fish wasted by overharvest, and spread some money around Kenai if people stayed multiple days.

Back to reality.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBC View Post
    First preference would be to manage all the rivers like Fish Creek; only open to dipnetting if there is an over escapement. My understanding is that this was the intent by the Board of Fish when these PU fisheries were created; only when there is a harvestable surplus.

But that wont happen. So I would like to see the annual limit abolished and the daily dipnetting limit equal to the in river sport limit. Families would be allowed one limit per day for each family member actually present. This would lower the catch rate, reduce the amount of fish wasted by overharvest, and spread some money around Kenai if people stayed multiple days.

Back to reality.
    There is a big difference between places like Fish Creek and places like the Kenai and Kasilof rivers. Once you have your overescapement in Fish Creek, you can pretty much stop the inflow of fish with dipnetting due to the small size of the creek. On the Kenai, you know that no matter how many people are out there fishing, you are still going to get a bunch of additional fish into the river past the dipnets. If you waited until you already had an overescapement before allowing dipnetting, you would be guaranteeing too many fish entering the river potentially putting the entire run in jeopardy.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast