Thread: Kenai open 24 hours

Default Kenai open 24 hours

An EO came out today https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/sf/EONR/...n.NR&NRID=2156. Kenai is open for 24 hours.

With the "peak" of the Kenai sockeye run occurring so late this year.
    Is there any chance that ADF&G might issue an EO extending the dipnetting season past this Friday (7/31)?
    Or will they just allow the commercial fleet to block off the mouth of the river and prevent "over escapement"?
    "Luckily, enforcement reads these forums, and likely will peruse this one...Especially after a link of it is forwarded to them....." - AlaskaHippie.

Quote Originally Posted by BluNosDav View Post
    With the "peak" of the Kenai sockeye run occurring so late this year.
    Is there any chance that ADF&G might issue an EO extending the dipnetting season past this Friday (7/31)?
    Or will they just allow the commercial fleet to block off the mouth of the river and prevent "over escapement"?
    No, I'm sure the dippers will be shut down and the set netters will be allowed to run their nets clear across the entire mouth. I can't believe they only opened up the dipnetters 7 days a week for three weeks. It would be more fair if they opened up dipnetting for 32 hours a day.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

I heard that the state is constructing a "wall of death" across the river mouth. Normally the contract would be open for bids, but this is a commie operation...

I'm joking of course. Go nuts man.

That's a bit scary to me. I haven't dipnetted down there in a number of years, but did this year by boat in the upper portion (between the ramp and bridge primarily). A number of those boat operators out there have no business running a boat in daylight, much less trying to run one at night around other boats/rocks/waves/etc... Maybe it has been okay in past year with 24-hour openings, but I know I wouldn't want to be in the middle of it in the dark.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    A number of those boat operators out there have no business running a boat in daylight, much less trying to run one at night around other boats/rocks/waves/etc...
    This was my first year dipping from a boat...and I agree with you about some of the folks out there. We saw an Asian family in a brand new Willies Predator drift right up onto a mooring buoy and get sideways against the bow of the moored boat. It looked like the grandfather at the helm had no idea what to do and just watched as he let his boat drift up onto the buoy. The upstream gunnel came inches from slipping under, but one of the other adults moved sides and the boat righted on its own. One of their nets was stuck in the buoy line and rather than let it go they saved that manged bent mess. A net is not worth your entire family. If it had been a smaller skiff I would have been performing an in river rescue of four people. Or at least tried to.

We got rammed by a big boat last year being operated by a woman. She was yelling at someone, don't know if it was us or someone on her Queen Elizabeth, "Oar, Oar, Oar." Maybe she was really just a seal in disguise. Kinda looked that way.
    Hunt Ethically. Respect the Environment.