Thread: action types

Default action types

I'd like to hear other's thoughts on favorite action types. The turn-bolt is by far the most popular but I have never been able to warm up to it myself. I have a M70 that is great and I understand all the advantages a bolt has but still can't get excited about it. My personal preference is a slide action Remington carbine. I know it's limitations but still like it. I also enjoy lever actions.
    I am just curious about your thoughts on this and would like to see if others share my interest in other "alternative" types of actions.
    thanks.

Yup. Lots of interests in alternates here. My shooting years started before there were lefthanded bolts available, so lots of time with pumps, autos and levers, as well as singleshots. Each has their place, strengths and weaknesses. In recent years I've gotten into muzzleloaders, and it didn't take long for me to leave behind the inlines. They are so much alike that they get boring, but when you get into sidelocks, the sky's the limit on bore size, style and period. Inlines may be fast, but they're really pretty boring if you're curious about guns and want to shoot year round rather than just hunt.

I'll stick with boltguns with the lever a close second. A couple of years back I shot a blackie with a rem 7600 (35whelen). I shot it once and it ran off, when I went to cycle in a 2nd round I jammed it up. I know it was probably my fault but I got rid of it. I do know any action can jam but I'm more comfortable with a bolt or lever (no jams so far, knock on wood).

In the last year and a half I have ben fiddling with the R93 Blasers. Am starting to think they may be the one of the best things on the current market. The straight pull action is very quick and very accurate.

I really like the Kalashnikov action of my 308 Galil. Not once has it ever jammed on me. Second on my list is the 98 mauser bolt action on my Sako
    Formerly known as one who clings to guns and religion

Mark V, Ruger #1 action, and mauser type on my 8400, like them all.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I really like single shots, but don't care for most of the actions currently made for mostly aesthetic/ergonomic reasons.

I sure love a good lever action like the 94/22 and BL22, and 94/336/BLR for that matter.

Bolt, straight pull, semi-auto, pump, muzzle-loading, generally don't excite my much from the standpoint of the action.
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

Then take a look at the older BROWNING BAR's. Vary reliable handles recoil vary well. They are chambered for some great ctgs. The Belgium made do go for more than the Japan models, but they are all vary good.

While I like them all, at this time I am fascinated by the Encore. It amazes me how consistent the accuracy is on something that can go from 22-250 to 375 H&H in 2 minutes, and then be a muzzle loader or shot gun a few minutes later. It is so neat to be able to have just about any caliber I ever wanted and not have to go searching for a left hand model that probably doesn't exist.

Default Question on Pumps

Jreed - not to wander off your topic....one thing I like about bolt guns is that I can cycle a round into the chamber much quieter than with my pumps....and I usually don't have a round in the chamber when hunting in AK, so figured the question wasn't too far off topic. Have you ever had an animal bolt hearing you jack one into the chamber, or have you oiled the slide so well it moves like butter?

Michael

I was raised on the lever gun, started shooting when I was 8yrs. old, the ever faithful .30-30 and initially carried the 336. As I progressed the bolt gun became the "style" of rifle I generally have carried for "meat hunting". Did like them old single shot bolt guns in the .22-shot lots of grouse,ptarmigan and "gray jays" aka "camp-robbers".

Thus far the only "preferred" self loader I would own is my M1 Garand-it is something for sure. Darn thing just keeps going, clean the chamber, watch your muzzle pressure and bullet weight, peen the slots for the front sight to better your shot placement shot for shot-oh well you get what I mean, just a mighty fine weapon.

I have always favored my Win. 94 in the .30-30AI shooting 170 Partitions, a reliable companion. Could ramble on but it is a toss up betwixt the 2 action types. Been focusing on the Mauser bolt and the Enfield P-17 or the Rem. 30 of late.

good day

Default round in the chamber

Quote Originally Posted by mdhunter View Post
    Jreed - not to wander off your topic....one thing I like about bolt guns is that I can cycle a round into the chamber much quieter than with my pumps....and I usually don't have a round in the chamber when hunting in AK, so figured the question wasn't too far off topic. Have you ever had an animal bolt hearing you jack one into the chamber, or have you oiled the slide so well it moves like butter?

Michael
    Great question...I was raised and learned to hunt back east(Maine). It is pretty universal there to carry your rifle with a round in the chamber. The older hunters really stressed safe gun handling. The noise of a round being chambered was not an issue. If you chose not to chamber a round then the bolt gun definitely has the advantage. On the other hand, if someone really knows how to work a pump, you can chamber a round and fire quick enough that it may not matter.
    Thanks
    Never give a gun to a duck...

m98.
    p17
    FN-FAL.

As a "lefty" you`d think I`d like a lever. That`s a yes but with conditions.
    Started with a bolt(right handed) many years ago and and got to the point
    I thought I was a "righty." Never felt...handi-capped in anyway.
    Still toting an old Springfield 30-06 I got in 1949. As I get older it seems to
    gets heavier but one thing has not changed. That puppy can still drill
    a hole!
    Have some "levers" but that old bolt action suits me just fine.

The greatest action of all time is the mother of all bolt actions the mauser98

Default Slide action rifle?

I had to use a 760 Remington '06 when I was 12, for my first elk hunt. That lasted about the first morning, and picked up Granddad's M94 .30-30 rifle.
    Couldn't hit the inside of a barn two times in a row with that lump. Wasn't enough to full length size reloaded ammo for the thing, absolutely had to use a small base sizer to reload for the thing, and we never, ever did get the thing to shoot. We finally did find a use for it one day when we put it into a padded case and used it for a rest for a real rifle.
    By the way, ANY of my slide action shotguns, using slugs, will outshoot that rifle at a hundred yards. The 760 will shoot about the same pattern as a modified choke with an ounce of number 8's, but it takes a bit of time to put that many rounds down range.....sorry, you probably had better luck with the things, or better experience, but as far as I'm concerned, they make a poor canoe paddle, and ain't heavy enough to make a good anchor.
    Gimme a Model 70, and I'll happily use it for as long as I'm able to tote one.....

Default a bad one

Wow, I have known alot of people who use the 760 or the 7600. I have never heard of a bad experience like that. You must have had a real lemon. Maybe it was made on a friday night and the Remington guys were eager to get out of the factory for the weekend. The pumps I have had and do have are not on par with bolts as far as accuracy goes but they do as well as I can. I also like the handling characteristics better than other actions.

The idea about the lemon brings up an interesting thought. I had a Ruger Vaquero once that was definitely a lemon. I tried lots of different components and loads and could not get it to shoot. I sold it and ended up with another one a little while later that would almost clover-leaf from a good rest. The Blackhawk I have now is the same way, great gun. I was wondering if anyone else had similar experiences. That would make an interesting topic...lemon guns.

I agree about the M70, it is my one and only bolt gun. It was an inherited gun so that makes it even better but aside from that it's a great gun.
    Never give a gun to a duck...