Thread: Curing Salmon Roe....How do you do it?

Default Curing Salmon Roe....How do you do it?

So, how do you cure your salmon roe? I am sure there have been many a threads on this topic before (so please do not reference the older topics). I just thought it would be a good time to share some techniques given the time of year when most people should have a few skeins to cure.

I myself use a super secret cure...table salt. Literally, that's it. I go to Costco, by the 25lb bag, then layer the salt, roe, salt, roe, salt....I have had great success with silvers, kings, and trout.
    "Safety does not happen by accident, it's a choice"

I've seen some pretty elaborate cures. but secrets are secrets...

ahh what the heck who am i kidding.

personal preference is to
    1.cut the egg skeins into bait sized chunks,
    2. dry overnight
    3. place into ziplocks with Nates Bait Black cherry cure, a tablespoon of brown sugar, and a squirt of Ainse oil
    4. follow the Nates bait directions from there.

seems to work well.

The secret Pautzke curing method is cut the skein into fishable chunks, cover liberally with Pink or Red Pautzke Fire Cure, let it sit in the fridge over night and go fishing. The eggs will get juicy after a couple days, if they last that long, and that doesn't seem to bother the fish - usually the juicer the better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in the process of curing my first batch ever. Picked up some Pro Cure Last Supper.

Push eggs through a 1/4" mesh to remove skein, soak 30 mins in 1 gallon water: 4 cups kosher salt: 10 crushed juniper berries: juice of 1 lemon and serve on toast.

Oh wait...never mind...

Nates bait cure is very good and very easy. The best eggs start with the freshest possible blood free eggs. Bleed the fish right away and when you go to cure your eggs be sure to carefully trim out the top of skein with any blood. Eggs cure but blood rots. I typically butterfly the skein open and sprinkle cure lightly on both sides. Less is more with egg cure. You don't need to pile it on. Even coverage lightly on both sides and into a zip lock works great. Stack as much as you want until the bag is about 2/3 full. Let them sit at room temp and they will begin to juice out. Mix them around thoroughly and often at the juice faze of curing to distribute cure all throughout the eggs. Don't be shy they will be fine roll them around every 30 min or so for a few hours than let them sit over night. Most all the juice will be re absorbed back into the eggs. That's when I'll set the skein out to dry for about 3 hours each side so 6 hours total. Cut and store after that and they should be great.