Thread: How to fish the Gulkana?

Default How to fish the Gulkana?

I didn't have much luck on the Gulkana last year. I was using roe.

What do you guys do? I am fishing with a Cat from Sourdough.

Can anyone set me straight on what to use?

Also, what spots do I look for to fish in? In the main current of the river?

Any advice and tips would be appreciated

Thanks

---------

Anyone do it like this?

What kind of bait or lure should I use for Kings?

http://www.alaskakings.com/Fishing/kingsalmon.htm
    The best bait to use is fresh or cured salmon roe (eggs) rigged with a quarter sized orange "corky" above the hook. Sometimes a second hook is tied above the corky so chances of hooking a King are increased. In order to increase fishing time by decreasing rebating stops red or orange mesh material is used to contain the eggs in a pouch. Above the top hook 18-24 inches we attach a barrel swivel, to prevent tangling and twisting of you leader. Above the swivel we attach a piece of pencil led using a large rubber band. The swivel prevents the led from sliding down to the bait. Another lure that we are very successful in catching the mighty King with is the Magnum Wiggle Wart, that is a lure that is very obnoxious under the water and the Kings hit them hard!

shew I guess I'll bite.

Are you guiding for kingfisher?

Orange bunny flies are often the ticket in the morning with smaller darker offerings good bets for when it gets warmer. When all else fails I use a size 8 skykomish sunrise dead drifted and that works good. fly rod or baitcaster I almost exculsively use flies.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Few Kings

I've fished with Kingfisher and he knows his stuff. I think the problem is so few fish in the river. As of the 21st there was only 402 kings counted and there is a lot of river up to Sourdough. I might be wrong but I don't think a whole lot of fish have been caught. We always had luck a little later in the season upstream of Sourdough towards the forks fishing the main channel and in holds behind the boulders in the river. You just have to keep pounding the river. Good luck.
    Life is tough........it's alot tougher if you're stupid.

Default Fishing

First LOL TradBow LOL!!

I keep hearing the fishing on the Gulkana is slow and I keep saying oh Heck no! The bite is fickle at best but if you know the river it is being very generous at times. Yesterday 0800-1100 2 guys 7 hook-ups, 2 fish to the boat and we were not fishing to hard and 1.5 hours of that is rafting. Yesterday Night 2 guys and a floatable housing project came down on us no less than 20 rafts not counting the 30 or so tubers. Fished 4:30 - 8:30 same holes same method 4 hook ups, 3 break-offs and one oh crap Totally the guides fault!!!!!!

Gents in a drift boat fishing the back sides of the same holes in the evening were hooking up three - one in the holes back bouncing Roe. They concentrated at the tails of each run in 3-4ft of water in the shadows.

Mornings as always seem to be more productive less traffic and pressure at the start of the day.

So to Answer: Corkie's verse Spin and Glows! Use a Dropper Weight on a snap hollow lead with a hole punched in it, 24-28 inches of leader prior to your mouching rig, concentrate on holes with 4-7ft of water try to avoid mid day fishing, ensure your bouncing on the bottom and let your rig sit now and again verses casting over and over, and above all else use good roe verse store bought.

Tight Lines! Best Wishes!

I was at my favorite hole yesterday morning down a piece from Sourdough. I like to work a big corner eddy with a large slip bobber with or without roe. Got 3 on the morning bite around 6 am. Nice fish too, one over 40. Also picked up a nice steely on the same rig.

My kid picked up a nice hen working a mag wart behind a side planer out behind the boulders. 6 hookups, 3 fish landed, 1 bonked in three hours. No people, a few skeeters, and decent water conditions. Not a ton of fish in the water but what a great morning of fishing.

Now moose,

I had to ask!

If it was me, I'd be in the lower river right now!!! At best up in the mid river.

back bounce the roe right out of your cat (with jets, not weight), works like a champ!!! You cant fish all the spots you think you can, however I can fish almost all of the ones I want to out of a 16' air jag. One thing, DO NOT over load your boat!!!! Well if you aint rowing then go ahead

So does orange and chartuese fat freddies or fuschia bunny flies. You can cast with fly rods or baitcasters with these two flies!!! Find some 1/4oz fuschia bunny flies to cast with a baitcaster. For the fat freddies, run them like you would ran flies.

Leader lengths are dependant on river conditions. You'll know right away when one eats your diver and not your bait you are toooooooo deep! My standard length was the lid of my rubbermaid lid which was my tackle box at the time. Boy I miss those days.................

And make sure you bring a spare ore. Moose saved my butt one year fishing with buddies and their families. That was one float out storie for a campfire....and we still managed to catch fish after we broke it

Is there any good bank fishing to be had on the Gulkana?

I have a 16' cataraft but usually don't fish from it. Is that okay?

The water is really low right now...about a foot less than last weekend. Saw a few boats on the water, perhaps 3 total...it was a quiet weekend and the fishing was slow.

We have a motored canoe, dont think I can drift fish in it, cant I use a drift rig while wading?

Pardon my ignorance, I am new to this type of fishing.

Default No you must fish from it

Quote Originally Posted by akrafter View Post
    I have a 16' cataraft but usually don't fish from it. Is that okay?
    Hey Man anchor that bad boy up in the middle of a run and hang on!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Is there any good bank fishing to be had on the Gulkana?
    Yes

I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.