Thread: Brown Bear set-up?

Default Brown Bear set-up?

Hey Guys, I am from the mid-west (Ohio) and have been a bow hunter my entire life. Ive shot IBO tourys and taken a lot of game with my bow. Ive hunted Canada,Colorado,Wyoming and of coarse Ohio. Ive been lucky enough to take several trophy animals and even a few pope and young ones. However my dream has always been to hunt the great Brown Bears of Alaska! My daughter moved to Alaska (for the outdoor adventures) early this year and I made my first trip to Alaska a few weeks ago, It really sparked my fire again and since she can act as my guide, it has become way more affordable to me. My biggest question is what kinda set up do you local experienced guys recommend? I am thinking along the lines of a 500-600 gr arrow with a one piece strong heavy 2 blade broadhead (at least 125 gr). I shoot 70# draw at 28.5" draw compound. Any help would be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance.

the setup you described will kill just fine. I know Alaska has a minimum arrow weight for dangerous game, i.e. brown bears. So make sure you're over that weight and shoot a good strong broadhead that's razor sharp. just remember, just like anything else you aren't trying to kill it by blunt trauma, but by bleeding it to death. you'll still want the quartering away shot so you can slip the arrow into the pocket. with a good shot like that it won't take much to kill anything.

To Buckeye Archer:

From a fellow Buckeye, I can recommend the Howard Hill Broadhead at 165 grains. After thirty-five years of Alaska hunting and guiding, and having made my fair share of bow and arrow kills, I can honestly say that I've never found the arrow that took an animal. All were through and through shots, some of which took out ribs or penetrated other bones. But, as many old timers, I have always thought most highly of arrow weight and broadheads that are three times longer than they are wide as the ultimate in terminal tackle.

Also moved up from Ohio. Just a heads up on your daughter being your guide. She needs to have lived here for at least a year before she can be considered an Alaskan resident and she needs to be a AK resident to be your guide. As for your arrows, get it up to 650 with a single bevel broadhead like a Tuffhead or an Ashby. That's how I roll. Good luck on your hunt. Oh, and a fair warning. Once you start hunting in Alaska, you're not going to want to go back to Ohio.

Thanks Guys!! I appreciate the help keep it rolling.

"Just a heads up on your daughter being your guide. She needs to have lived here for at least a year before she can be considered an Alaskan resident and she needs to be a AK resident to be your guide"
    We did check that out and she will be a resident before I make it back. Thanks for the help on it tho

I will be using a 400ish grain arrow this fall, hope to connect. Best of luck.

I dont think you need to overload on broadhead weight for Brown bear, I shot my brown bear last year shooting a 100 grain G5 Montec , posted a story on it last year. To me, if you practice consistency with what you shoot best you can kill any that roams the Alaskan Tundra.

Your set up is more than plenty. Many brown bear have been killed with far less than you're currently shooting. As with most animals, the placement of the arrow is far more important than the overall gear. If by chance you do hit bone, you can only hope that the 500 grain arrow, moving 300+ ft/sec does enough damage that he/she goes in the other direction. I shot one two years ago with draw weight at 65lbs, 400 grain carbon express arrow, 125 gr G5 Montec at 58 yards. Bear expired less than 100 yards and never showed any aggression. Watched my son and two other guys shot one with a 375, 338 and 30-06 that didn't go as good. After the initial hit, he was mad as hell ripping and swatting everything in its path, and roaring/growling to the extent that my hair on my neck stood up. Bear went over 100 yards and had lead all in it.... Totally different reaction with a bow as with most animals.

I got a broadhead question im gonna throw in here instead of starting another subject. I FEEL that I want to use a solid one piece fixed blade head because it will hold up. I cant really figure out what the difference is in single bevel and double bevel performance wise? It seems to me that they would both cut well if sharp. Is it just personal preference ? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Archer View Post
    I got a broadhead question im gonna throw in here instead of starting another subject. I FEEL that I want to use a solid one piece fixed blade head because it will hold up. I cant really figure out what the difference is in single bevel and double bevel performance wise? It seems to me that they would both cut well if sharp. Is it just personal preference ? Thanks
    A double bevel cuts straight as it passes through. A single bevel rotates as it passes through and if you hit bone (like say the scapula or the humorous) that rotating action will split the bone. Both will get the job done, but a single bevel is a better choice IMO. I also find that a straight edge is easer to sharpen then one with a oval shape. To each his own.

Quote Originally Posted by ASUS-DAG View Post
    Also moved up from Ohio. Just a heads up on your daughter being your guide. She needs to have lived here for at least a year before she can be considered an Alaskan resident and she needs to be a AK resident to be your guide. As for your arrows, get it up to 650 with a single bevel broadhead like a Tuffhead or an Ashby. That's how I roll. Good luck on your hunt. Oh, and a fair warning. Once you start hunting in Alaska, you're not going to want to go back to Ohio.
    I'd like to take this a little farther. Having your daughter as your guide is a great opportunity to hunt something most could never afford or have the chance to hunt. I'm assuming she will be with you to make it legal and you will be basically guiding yourself in her presents. That's a good plan...however, bonafide guides for nonresidents and inexperienced bear hunters are recommended for a good reason. These brown bears are king up here for a reason. I've hunted them with my longbow and GOOD LORD they're big when you get get inside bowrange. Hopefully you have good experience around big bears and a small entourage to help with the logistics of skinning, packing and taking care of one when you get one. I wish you success and I REALLY hope you have a hunt of a lifetime. What an adventure you're in for! Be safe my friend.

As far as broadheads? Any of the heads listed above are a great way to go. Honestly, bears have small, wispy ribs. You shouldn't have any apprehension about shooting one through the boiler room with an arrow. Their shoulders are another story. They're massive by comparison. I've shot Zwicky Black Diamonds for years. Any broadhead that style should be great. Don't even think about mechanicals.

Im currently working up two arrows for my moose/griz trip. The first is a Carbon Express Terminator Select Hunter (these are no longer produced, but I had about 4 doz of them) with a DRT two blade 125gr head. Total arrow weight is right at 500 grains. I also am putting together some Carbon Express Pile Driver Hunters 450 with a DRT HD 150/175 grain head. Those should weigh in at somewhere around 600gr. Im getting good grouping with the first set out to 40 yards and have not had a chance to test the second set yet. With the first set up, predictably, Im getting much more penetration through my Block than I was with my 3 blade Thunderhead. Ive had to set a second target behind the Block to stop the arrows although I don't think they would blow completely through.
    In Nature's Image Taxidermy and Game Calls
    Palmer

Quote Originally Posted by Longbow6360 View Post
    I'd like to take this a little farther. Having your daughter as your guide is a great opportunity to hunt something most could never afford or have the chance to hunt. I'm assuming she will be with you to make it legal and you will be basically guiding yourself in her presents. That's a good plan...however, bonafide guides for nonresidents and inexperienced bear hunters are recommended for a good reason. These brown bears are king up here for a reason. I've hunted them with my longbow and GOOD LORD they're big when you get get inside bowrange. Hopefully you have good experience around big bears and a small entourage to help with the logistics of skinning, packing and taking care of one when you get one. I wish you success and I REALLY hope you have a hunt of a lifetime. What an adventure you're in for! Be safe my friend.

As far as broadheads? Any of the heads listed above are a great way to go. Honestly, bears have small, wispy ribs. You shouldn't have any apprehension about shooting one through the boiler room with an arrow. Their shoulders are another story. They're massive by comparison. I've shot Zwicky Black Diamonds for years. Any broadhead that style should be great. Don't even think about mechanicals.
    I appreciate all of the info you guys are giving, It is helpful. I am aware of her being present. Her and her boyfriend both took blackies already up there and she missed a brownie. I am anxious to try my hand at it and hope to have a encounter. I have not faced a brownie yet with my bow, but I am ready for the challenges. her boyfriend will be along also and he has hunt dangerous game in Africa with a longbow and was successful, I counting on his help also.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Archer View Post
    I appreciate all of the info you guys are giving, It is helpful. I am aware of her being present. Her and her boyfriend both took blackies already up there and she missed a brownie. I am anxious to try my hand at it and hope to have a encounter. I have not faced a brownie yet with my bow, but I am ready for the challenges. her boyfriend will be along also and he has hunt dangerous game in Africa with a longbow and was successful, I counting on his help also.

Sounds like you're well on your way to a great, safe and successful hunt. Good luck and keep us posted on your hunt.