Thread: 40 Mile Herd Info

Default 40 Mile Herd Info

Didn't apply for tier 1 this year so I'll most likely be heading up to 20E to hunt the 40 mile herd opening day. I'll be riding solo with the side by side so looking for some info on the area since I haven't been up that way. Not looking for spots, would just like to know about the general area and how that specific hunt is. Don't know if I should expect it to be like unit 13.

Look for all the trucks parked on the side of the road. I've never hunted 13, but I'm sure it's similar, lots of people hunting the same area up there.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob191288 View Post
    Didn't apply for tier 1 this year so I'll most likely be heading up to 20E to hunt the 40 mile herd opening day. I'll be riding solo with the side by side so looking for some info on the area since I haven't been up that way. Not looking for spots, would just like to know about the general area and how that specific hunt is. Don't know if I should expect it to be like unit 13.
    I'm planning the same thing. All my buddies did tier 1, and I did not. I've got a wheeler and plan to head up opening day. I have no experience in the area but if you want to partner up, give me a shout. I've never hunted caribou before though so it'll all be a new experience for me.

Quote Originally Posted by a2thak View Post
    I'm planning the same thing. All my buddies did tier 1, and I did not. I've got a wheeler and plan to head up opening day. I have no experience in the area but if you want to partner up, give me a shout. I've never hunted caribou before though so it'll all be a new experience for me.
    I've got no issue partnering up. I'm looking at heading up that way on Sat the 8th to scout out the area and get set up and then come back to the valley on Thursday the 13th since I have to work on Friday. I've hunted Caribou in 13 with the tier 1 just didn't put in for it because I don't want to be limited to moose in 13 this year.

Default caribou season

I think it is not open until the end of August. You may want to check the regs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob191288 View Post
    I've got no issue partnering up. I'm looking at heading up that way on Sat the 8th to scout out the area and get set up and then come back to the valley on Thursday the 13th since I have to work on Friday. I've hunted Caribou in 13 with the tier 1 just didn't put in for it because I don't want to be limited to moose in 13 this year.
    Season (RC860) in zone 3 doesn't open until August 30th.

You guys would be correct, missed that date. Thanks for the head up. Gotta readjust some dates now.