Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: 40 Mile Herd Info

  1. #1
    Member Rob191288's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    88

    Default 40 Mile Herd Info

    Didn't apply for tier 1 this year so I'll most likely be heading up to 20E to hunt the 40 mile herd opening day. I'll be riding solo with the side by side so looking for some info on the area since I haven't been up that way. Not looking for spots, would just like to know about the general area and how that specific hunt is. Don't know if I should expect it to be like unit 13.

  2. #2
    Member duckslayer56's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Maryland...not by choice
    Posts
    2,058

    Default

    Look for all the trucks parked on the side of the road. I've never hunted 13, but I'm sure it's similar, lots of people hunting the same area up there.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    129

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob191288 View Post
    Didn't apply for tier 1 this year so I'll most likely be heading up to 20E to hunt the 40 mile herd opening day. I'll be riding solo with the side by side so looking for some info on the area since I haven't been up that way. Not looking for spots, would just like to know about the general area and how that specific hunt is. Don't know if I should expect it to be like unit 13.
    I'm planning the same thing. All my buddies did tier 1, and I did not. I've got a wheeler and plan to head up opening day. I have no experience in the area but if you want to partner up, give me a shout. I've never hunted caribou before though so it'll all be a new experience for me.

  4. #4
    Member Rob191288's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    88

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by a2thak View Post
    I'm planning the same thing. All my buddies did tier 1, and I did not. I've got a wheeler and plan to head up opening day. I have no experience in the area but if you want to partner up, give me a shout. I've never hunted caribou before though so it'll all be a new experience for me.
    I've got no issue partnering up. I'm looking at heading up that way on Sat the 8th to scout out the area and get set up and then come back to the valley on Thursday the 13th since I have to work on Friday. I've hunted Caribou in 13 with the tier 1 just didn't put in for it because I don't want to be limited to moose in 13 this year.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    fort greely
    Posts
    9

    Default caribou season

    I think it is not open until the end of August. You may want to check the regs.

  6. #6
    Member Matt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    3,410

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob191288 View Post
    I've got no issue partnering up. I'm looking at heading up that way on Sat the 8th to scout out the area and get set up and then come back to the valley on Thursday the 13th since I have to work on Friday. I've hunted Caribou in 13 with the tier 1 just didn't put in for it because I don't want to be limited to moose in 13 this year.
    Season (RC860) in zone 3 doesn't open until August 30th.

  7. #7
    Member Rob191288's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    88

    Default

    You guys would be correct, missed that date. Thanks for the head up. Gotta readjust some dates now.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •